“Bedbugs! Do NOT go here.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Thomas Family B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Thomas Family B&B
Ranked #57 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Bedbugs! Do NOT go here.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I planned to stay here with a friend at the beginning of May. We told we would arrive at 6, but when we came at that time the room was not ready yet, and the owner seemed overwhelmed by having to do 3 rooms in one day. The whole place is rather old fashioned, and not in a good shape.

We left the same night we arrived due to the fact that we found bedbugs crawling everywhere in our room. It took 5 minutes to catch 3 full grown bugs (also in the bed), and smaller ones were on the walls. Fortunately we didn't open our suitcases yet, so we managed to escape clean. Nonetheless, trying to find an affordable hotel in Manhattan around midnight is no fun. Also, we paid for three night on arrival, and even though they say cancellation policy is one night's pay, we only got a small portion of the money back and ended up paying $200 for a room full of bedbugs that we left even before the first night.

The owners also told us conflicting stories, according to the husband they never had bugs before, and he even accused us of bringing them, although we never had this problem either before or after. On the other hand, his wife told us later she had seen bugs before with an earlier guest. In later email exchange however she changed her story completely and even claimed she didn't see those bugs in our room, although we showed them immediately.

The location is also not great, although it is very close to a metro station. When leaving the station you are greeted by junks / drug dealers who are a bit too interested in your clothes and belongings.

Do NOT go to this place unless they properly exterminate their bug problem. They spray the rooms before you arrive, but 5 minutes of searching online shows that this is NOT the way to get rid of these bugs. They are highly resistant, and you have a high chance of bringing the problem home with you, as they crawl in your clothes and luggage without you noticing. Do NOT go here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Daan B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed in this B&B for three nights in May 2013. The area is nice and overall safe, with some good places where to enjoy live music. However, I wasn't very happy with my experience at this B&B: my bedroom was untidy, dirty and smelly. I found bedbugs crawling around and I spent the four days of my stay making sure that my clothes and stuff didn't get infested too. Although the common areas were fine, I cannot really recommend this place, unless the bedroom gets thoroughly cleaned, tidied up and disinfested.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Globetrotter81_13

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Hamilton, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We visited the Thomas Family B&B in the middle of May. We stayed for 3 nights and I don't think that we could have chosen a better place. The bed and breakfast is in the back of a townhouse in Harlem.

Well located approximately 100m from a Subway station you will definitley be impressed by what you find here.

The room was clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. We had the room on the bottom floor which had a weird wall sized red mirror. There is no curfew and you are able to come and go as you please at any hour you please.

There is a kitchen along with some small breakfast supplies. We only grabbed some for snacks. If you want a proper sit down breakfast you may want to drop in to nearby restaurants such as IHOP or Sylvia's.

There was no internet in the rooms which wasn't a big deal for us, but might bother business travellers.

Finally service wise, Yolanda was excellent. Very eager to please and fulfill requests she gives the bed and breakfast a very home-like quality.

Recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HamiltonTraveller18
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

There is no internet access either Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable in the bed and breakfast at all. I used up a day of my holiday running around in a strange city sorting out a usb dongle ( $141 it cost ) for internet access as I had to work.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The bed and breakfast is in a separate building behind the one shown in the picture in what was the stables years ago. You get a set of keys to come and go as you like. Unfortunately we were without hot water for three mornings and the whole place could do with a scrub from top to bottom.

Yolanda Thomas is a very obliging landlady and will help and advise where she can. All the facilities you need are within 400 yards. ATM, Pharmacy ( that also sells soap, shampoo, toothpaste and the like ). A Fine Fare Supermarket, café / deli. The Subway is literally round the corner to go further uptown or around the corner and across the road to go downtown.

You get the use of the kitchen whenever you like it ( microwave, fridge, coffee machine, toaster ) and Yolanda regularly stocks up on breakfast supplies. Don’t expect unlimited supplies though it does get eaten very quickly. But if you run out just pop round the corner and get what you need.

Would I go back, if the internet access was working and guaranteed fast and reliable, you bet I would.

Room Tip: If Internet access is important; ask before you go!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Richard_in_England
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Small quiet and comfortable, free parking in front, clean, well decorated room, and the best hostesses. We will return one day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank traveler41709
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

This B&B is a very good alternative to noisy hostels. For the first time I could sleep in New York City without earplugs! The metro station is located just around the corner. The owners are very nice and buy what you need for breakfast. The kitchen could be a little bit cleaner though... Very good for low budget travellers!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank fedcba
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

A very nice place in the heart of Harlem, where you could enjoy the new yorkese life. Subway is 2mn, and it will bring you downtown in 15mn. Bars, restaurants, churches (with fabolous gospel choirs on sundays), stores, etc. are also nearby the hotel. A special thanks to Yolanda who's the nicest hostess I've ever met, and who will enlight your stay with her kindness. She would buy everything for you to enjoy the breakfast, which is also included in the price. This is without mentioning the spa, that I missed to try due to lack of time :( Next time I'll come back, for sure I'll enjoy this spa!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo