“Great room-scary location”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #226 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is really a gem of a hotel, but you have to be willing to be close to a pretty sketchy part of New York. Not sure if I would stay here again or not. I was by myself and drove through what looked to be a pretty bad part of Harlem. The block this hotel is on isn't too bad, but close by it isn't all that great. Guess it depends on what you are looking for and how comfortable you are in Harlem. Everyone has their own comfort level for an area like this.

Other than the area, the room is really great-modern and trendy. Bed is comfortable. Pillows were a little flat. Hotel looks new. I valet parked my car and the hotel was very accommodating when I asked to leave it longer than normal time.

Staff was friendly and community areas are nicely done.

There was some type of noise outside my window all night-like a pinging noise. Annoying. But very little traffic noise for New York City.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Cindy N
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for your review. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations in NYC and we thank you for choosing the Aloft Harlem. We appreciate your feed back about your experience at our hotel. I will share your review with our staff. We look forward to having you stay again at our hotel!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Went to NYC for a few days to celebrate a friends 50th birthday - was looking for someplace uptown to stay that was close to transportation, nice accommodations, and reasonably priced. Aloft fit the bill very nicely. Staff was very pleasant and helpful (with one very minor exception) and room was comfortable. I also needed to visit Manhattan School of Music - it was a pleasant 15 -20 minute walk at most. Subway station 1 1/2 blocks away with easy downtown access. I'll likely be making a few NYC trips over the next few years and would stay again at the Aloft without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for your feedback about your experience. We look forward to having you stay again at our hotel!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I liked our stay at the Harlem Aloft. There are many positives: fairly new, very clean, contemporary design, and friendly staff. The total cost per night was $202, including taxes, so a reasonable price for Manhattan.
The location might not be ideal for most tourists, but if you want to visit Harlem, this is the place. It's only one block from the busy 125th Street thoroughfare where you can catch the M60 bus to LaGuardia. It's only a block away from the Apollo Theater also. The Aloft is just two blocks to the subway, where express trains get you downtown quickly.
There is a good sized bar, and a DJ plays music some nights. There were sandwiches, snacks, drinks, and breakfast items for sale in an area off the lobby. Complimentary coffee, tea and newspapers are also available in the lobby.
Our room had a big window that faced a brick wall, but there was plenty of natural light in the room. I thought we might be hearing sirens all night since there is a police station across the street, but our room on the top floor was very quiet.
One nice feature is that you can decline housekeeping and get a $5 coupon each day for drinks or food. I don't care for strangers entering our hotel room, so it was nice to be rewarded with the coupon.
One thing that I didn't like was the bathroom set up. A pocket door divides the toilet and shower from the sink area, and the door didn't quite close, resulting in not much privacy. Not so bad for my husband and me, but if you are not so familiar with the person you are traveling with, this could be a problem. I couldn't sleep one night, and it would have been nice to go in the bathroom to read without bothering my husband - this was impossible with the room design since the light from the bathroom area shone into the bedroom.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IlliniTrav
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel for your hotel accommodations in New York City! We are glad that you liked our hotel and its location. We are centrally located in Harlem to all major NYC subway lines and local attractions. Thank you for your feedback about your experience. We look forward to having you stay at our hotel again!

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

My son and I just celebrated our birthdays by spending a weekend in Harlem. We chose Aloft Hotel for its proximity to both Minton's Jazz Club (where we had dinner reservations) and The Apollo (where we had tickets for the Saturday night performance if Africa Now!). What a good decision that was! From the night club in the lobby, to the well appointed, and surprisingly quiet rooms, to the hip, friendly front desk staff--we loved it! Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thank you for your great review and for choosing the Aloft Harlem for your stay in NYC. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and in Harlem. We appreciate your feedback about your experience. We look forward to having you stay at our hotel again!

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I really like Aloft hotel's I've stayed at Alofts all over the country and the Aloft Harlem meet all my expectations.

If you've stayed at Alofts before then you know what to expect. If not, then you'll love it... different from your average hotel, hip and funky with a great vibe. The location is right in the middle of Harlem, a block from 125th st and a short walk to different subway lines. Lot's of restaurants and lounges within walking distance too. It's a safe area as well, I was and about at all hours and never felt unsafe. Staff was nice and helpful, from the front desk to housekeeping to the bartenders... just an all around great staff. There's a DJ in the lounge area on weekends with a sizeable crowd that gathers... looked like everyone was having a good time, never heard the music from my room.

I will be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for your Wondeful Review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay not only at our hotel but other Aloft Hotels as well. We appreciate your feedback about our staff and location. I will share this information with our team. Thank you again for choosing Aloft Harlem for your hotel accommodations in NYC! We look forward to having you stay again at our hotel!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I didn't know about this chain but happy we discovered Aloft. We stayed in the Harlem location around Fred Douglas Blvd and 124th Street to be close to Columbia University. The boutique Hotel is definitely going for a hipster funky feel, but keeping things simple re cost. For ex., handmade flannel curtain to cover the closet, sliding door that covers small bathroom when in use, otherwise covers up a closet. Furniture seemed disproportionately large for the room size. Beds very comfortable. Clean and colorful. Lobby, bar, lounge, pool table and self-service cafe all in one large room on lower level. No restaurant. Decent food selection in store/cafe -- fresh fruit, homemade cookies, wraps, yogurt, juices. Very casual but fun and reasonably comfortable. Just don't expect the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental or TriBeCa modern scene. OTOH, don't expect to spend their prices. We took mostly taxis, so I can't comment on neighborhood safety ... but I'd want to know where I'm going and info about neighborhood outside the hotel. There's a flight of concrete steps from the sidewalk down to the lobby entrance. Carrying bags was a drag ... til we saw the elevator that waits at the sidewalk level. I'll def be trying another Aloft!

Room Tip: Our room faced west looking over a busy avenue. With the sound-proofing windows and black out shades...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband and I had to be in Manhattan bright and early Saturday morning to attend a seminar, so we decided to make a weekend of it. The Aloft is the nicest hotel by far in the area. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly, which is much appreciated since my husband is blind. We had a spacious room with a comfortable king sized bed. The room had no dressers, which is OK for a weekend but I would consider a problem for a long stay. There is a nice shower in the room (no tub); the sink is outside of the toilet/shower area, with a small refrigerator under the sink. The heat is a little touchy (I was fiddling with the temperature in the room a lot at night). There is a pool table and a bar in the lobby. The bar served little snacks and pizza; there was also a grab and go food area as well. There are also many good restaurants in the area, as well as "chain" restaurants like Joe's Crab Shack to choose from. This is the second time we have stayed at the Aloft; and we would certainly come back to the Aloft to stay if we were in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room above the second floor--the DJ gets things hopping in the WXYZ Lounge on the weekends.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay again at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback about your experience at our hotel and in Harlem. We look forward to having you stay again at our hotel!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
#2 of 14 in Bronx
Morningside Inn
Morningside Inn
#442 of 469 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!