“A different experience...fun!”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #240 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I would sum up my stay here as...A pleasant surprise!!!

First, you are greeted by a staff that really seems to be glad to have you. (Aloft, don't ever change that!) The staff was also helpful throughout our stay (Friday 12/20 to Monday 12/23)

Second, the lobby has a hip feel to it but not too over the top. P.S.- Ioved the Christmas décor.

Third, there was a DJ there on Friday and Saturday night and the ambiance was social and somewhat party like but not like the club scene. The atmosphere was festive.

To add, it was nice to have the complimentary bottled water and the coffee was better than average.

Location, location, location....don't be afraid because it's in Harlem.
1. close to multiple bus routes (including a bus to LaGuardia airport)
2. close to discount shopping ( food and other wise)
3. close to subway station

I will definitely stay here again.

Kudos to Aloft and keep up the good work!!!!

Room Tip: Room 515 is quiet, facing a brick wall but away from the elevator
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheLovely
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thank you for the glowing review. So glad you enjoyed your stay at the Aloft Harlem. The team is really exceptional and I am pleased that you noted that. Kudos to you for pointing out that the area really is in a great location. Shopping, restaurants, subways and buses all close by.
Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday. Come back soon.

There are newer reviews for Aloft Harlem

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed at the Aloft Harlem for two nights and while I was concerned after reading some of the comments, I was pleasantly surprised except for some couple items. Here is my review:

From the airport: After a overnight flight from Honolulu, I took the shuttle from Newark airport. The cost was $16 one way and despite the Friday afternoon traffic and being the 9th person dropped off, took about one hour from the airport to the hotel.

Arrival at Hotel: When arriving at the hotel, you have to go down a number of stairs or take the elevator, which is located to the left of the stairs. Since I had my luggage and the fact that it was raining and the stairs looked kind of steep, I opted for the elevator. I have to say that this elevator (which is not the one to go to the rooms), is the slowest elevator in the world. It only had to go down one floor, but it felt like an hour had passed. I was concerned that this was the first thing I experienced.

Checking In: After getting off the elevator I went to the registration desk. The desk is right in the middle of the lobby and it is a circle, which is different than a "traditional" hotel. The person who checked me in did an average job. She gave me my card keys, informed me about the internet in the room, and also about the hours for the bar. Nothing really special.

Location of Room: My room was on the second floor and it was about 10 feet away from the elevator. I was worried that the possible noise from other guests accessing the elevator would be noisy, but I did not hear this. I did notice that there was a room as soon as you get off the elevator, so maybe this room is not the best.

Room Stuff: The size of the room was spacious for New York. There was several light switches, and each switch was marked. There was a long counter on one side of the room with a office chair. There was also a mini fridge below the bathroom sink. Before you buy any drinks, make sure you check out the fridge, just to make sure your things fit. I had a queen size bed and the bed and pillow was comfortable for me. The wireless internet worked great for me, I just used it to access e-mails and websites. Another thing, the bathroom does not have the mini bottles of shampoo and conditioner. On the wall of the shower is a dispenser of shampoo and body wash.

Location of Hotel: After reading some of the comments, I was concerned about the area around the hotel. However I found it to be not bad. True, it's not like you are walking in Disneyland, but to me I had not problems. The hotel is located right across the Magic Johnson movie theatres and it is about a 5 minute walk to the subway station. There is a Duane Reade (drugstore) at the corner and this is where I purchased some snacks and drinks (the room came with two bottles of complimentary water). As I was walking from the hotel to the subway station, I noticed a Joe's Crab Shack, Chuck E Cheese, Ross's, Foot Locker, Dunkin Donuts, and other stores/restaurants along the way. I took the subway into Manhattan/Times Square/Rockefeller Center and if you take one subway line (sorry I forgot which one), it is an express which took about 10-15 minutes.

Staff: I did not interact with the staff a lot, only during check in and check out.

Restaurant: I did not see one, however there is a snack store right next to the registration desk. There was snacks (cookies, chips), drinks, and other food items which you purchase from the registration desk.

Fitness Center: There was one, I did not use.

Checking out: I checked out at 5:00 a.m., so there was no one else at the registration desk. I took the shuttle back to Newark.

Negatives:
-As other reviewers have mentioned, the noise from the nightclub can be loud. From my second floor room, I could hear the music and people. The first night I was too tired from the flight so I slept through it. Same thing for the second night, however I can see how the noise can bother some people.
-The air conditioner in the room was also loud. When other reviewers mentioned this I was hoping it was just something that happened to other people. However I also noticed this. Maybe this is why the noise from the nightclub did not bother me was because of the air conditioner noise. If I had to stay any longer than I did, than I would have made a complaint to the staff.

Positives:
-Despite the noise, I liked the "modern" look. Yes, it's good to go to a hotel and be pampered with luxury. But to me, it's good to mix it up a little and feel "young" again.
-Direct TV. I love it that the tv has the Direct tv service. Unlike some hotels where you only have 10 channels, the Aloft has a ton of channels. I tried to look for an ac repair channel, no luck.
-Cleaning room option. I like that Aloft gives you a choice that if you don't want your room cleaned, that you get a $5.00 coupon to be used at their snack store or SPG points.
-Location of hotel and subway access. Some people have a negative response when you mention Harlem, but I found the area to be okay and with the subway station about a 5 minute walk, getting into Manhattan was a breeze.

Final comment: I found this hotel to be very good. I would have preferred to stay in Manhattan, but since the Aloft was about half the cost, this was a good alternative hotel. I would stay here again. However if the ac had the same noise, than next time I will definitely say something.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank gsuzuki

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I must say you are very detailed which is awesome and very fair. Please do let us know next time you stay if there are any issues such as AC noise and we will do wall we can to accomodate you, with that said I like that you pointed out the pros and cons of the hotel and the area. It's good to point out as you did that getting to midtown is a quick subway ride away.
Have a great holiday.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The room was really nice. The staff was friendly. The safe in my room was busted when I got there but they sent someone to fix it pretty quickly. It is a little far from midtown if that is your main focus but it is a very reasonably priced room, especially considering it is the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Asher F

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that the team response to your request was quick.
Please do come see us again.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed here while visiting my son at Union Theological Seminary, which is around the corner. The hotel is nice and clean, has all the amenities but nothing over the top. The thing that sticks out to me about my stay is the horrible attitudes of the staff, who act as if they are going out of their way at every interaction. I regularly stay at W hotels when traveling, but have never experienced such poor customer service. I didn't feel comfortable asking for a wake up call, a bag of ice, or pretty much anything that one would ordinarily ask for while paying $300 a night because I was always met with a resistant attitude. My 2 cents: If you are visiting your child at a nearby school, save your money and either stay at a guest room in their dorm, or go a little farther out to avoid the 'tide for $300+/night.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Going2Aruba2013

Thank you for writing a review of your stay at the Aloft Harlem. I'm glad you enjoyed and like the hotel, but clearly service wise the ball was dropped which I am sorry to hear.
I do hope you come back to stay with us and please feel free to contact a manager to give more details if you would like about your past stay. I certainly would not want one bad apple to spoil or give an impression of the entire team.
You comments are appreciated as they give us a chance to look at our areas of opportunity.
Have a great holiday season.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Harlem is the happening place, and whether you want to stay local, head downtown or a mix of the two, this Hotel is ideal. Situated only 1 block away from the subway, this hotel offers a good location, great comfort and excellent service, especially from LYNDON at the front desk. His knowledge of the subway and things to do and see around town was terrific. The size of the rooms are decent, and the room we booked was spotless. On ground level there is a small and comfy bar and lounge area that are ideal to enjoy after spending a long day/s in NYC. Plenty of nearby food options and streets to explore around the hotel, which is convenient. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to all my friends, and family - without hesitation. Hope you found my review useful and have an enjoyable experience at this hotel.
Nays

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Naysan S
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Thank you for the glowing review. I passed on the compliments to Lyndon. He is quite the superstar here at the Aloft. You seem to have taken his suggestions as you are versed well on the neighborhood. We appreciate the review and hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I traveled to Harlem for a business meeting and was looking for a good hotel at a reasonable rate. The Aloft provided both. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly. It was also modern and compact. Unlike other hotels that are similar, this one served the needs of a wide variety of guests from young to older and made all comfortable. The room size was also larger than other "compact" hotels.

Somethings to note. There is no restaurant at the hotel. Having said that, there is no shortage of full service and local restaurants and sandwich shops within walking distance. The desk manager was very helpful and suggested several restaurants in the area for me to try. She also gave me the feedback from other guests who had visited them to help me make a choice. [If i am in the area again, I would definitely go to these smaller places than the larger ones as they have more of the area feel and variety to them. (There was a great French pastry shop on Frederick Douglass Avenue that was great.) I would recommend the reader take a look as they will be pleasantly surprised at the great choices available.]

The bar area was nicely appointed and comfortable. Something to note though was the service in the bar. The bartender was too busy chatting with a customer at the bar and never came over to find out if I wanted anything. I eventually left.

Let me close on this: I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Take a room on a higher floor to eliminate street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mansour T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We almost knocked it out of the park then the ball was dropped at the bar. Please accept our sincerest apology. I will definitely speak to the team to make sure they are aware of all guest presence.
I am glad that in the end the team did impress you enough and you enjoyed the facilities to return to the hotel. Again, a big thanks especially for your fairness.
Have a great holiday!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here on Halloween night - pretty crazy evening in NYC. We were pretty happy with the stay. Some things to be aware of - the area is very close to some great restaurant choices, but no full restaurant in the hotel. The snack area has reasonable options + there are a few things at the bar. There is valet parking for $50 without in/out privileges. I think our rental car sustained a little damage - nothing that was a big deal. Self park is nearby not related to the hotel. When you arrive, it's not immediately obvious that you enter the lobby by going downstairs to the entry doors. There is an elevator as well. Staff as all have reported is very friendly and helpful. The best thing is that our room was very quiet - rare in the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
#439 of 468 in New York City
Marrakech Hotel
Marrakech Hotel
#393 of 468 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!