“Staff don't know they work for a W hotel”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #236 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Berlin, Germany
“Staff don't know they work for a W hotel”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed here while visiting my son at Union Theological Seminary, which is around the corner. The hotel is nice and clean, has all the amenities but nothing over the top. The thing that sticks out to me about my stay is the horrible attitudes of the staff, who act as if they are going out of their way at every interaction. I regularly stay at W hotels when traveling, but have never experienced such poor customer service. I didn't feel comfortable asking for a wake up call, a bag of ice, or pretty much anything that one would ordinarily ask for while paying $300 a night because I was always met with a resistant attitude. My 2 cents: If you are visiting your child at a nearby school, save your money and either stay at a guest room in their dorm, or go a little farther out to avoid the 'tide for $300+/night.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Going2Aruba2013
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of your stay at the Aloft Harlem. I'm glad you enjoyed and like the hotel, but clearly service wise the ball was dropped which I am sorry to hear.
I do hope you come back to stay with us and please feel free to contact a manager to give more details if you would like about your past stay. I certainly would not want one bad apple to spoil or give an impression of the entire team.
You comments are appreciated as they give us a chance to look at our areas of opportunity.
Have a great holiday season.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Harlem is the happening place, and whether you want to stay local, head downtown or a mix of the two, this Hotel is ideal. Situated only 1 block away from the subway, this hotel offers a good location, great comfort and excellent service, especially from LYNDON at the front desk. His knowledge of the subway and things to do and see around town was terrific. The size of the rooms are decent, and the room we booked was spotless. On ground level there is a small and comfy bar and lounge area that are ideal to enjoy after spending a long day/s in NYC. Plenty of nearby food options and streets to explore around the hotel, which is convenient. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to all my friends, and family - without hesitation. Hope you found my review useful and have an enjoyable experience at this hotel.
Nays

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Naysan S
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thank you for the glowing review. I passed on the compliments to Lyndon. He is quite the superstar here at the Aloft. You seem to have taken his suggestions as you are versed well on the neighborhood. We appreciate the review and hope to have you back soon.
DORCHESTER
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I traveled to Harlem for a business meeting and was looking for a good hotel at a reasonable rate. The Aloft provided both. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly. It was also modern and compact. Unlike other hotels that are similar, this one served the needs of a wide variety of guests from young to older and made all comfortable. The room size was also larger than other "compact" hotels.

Somethings to note. There is no restaurant at the hotel. Having said that, there is no shortage of full service and local restaurants and sandwich shops within walking distance. The desk manager was very helpful and suggested several restaurants in the area for me to try. She also gave me the feedback from other guests who had visited them to help me make a choice. [If i am in the area again, I would definitely go to these smaller places than the larger ones as they have more of the area feel and variety to them. (There was a great French pastry shop on Frederick Douglass Avenue that was great.) I would recommend the reader take a look as they will be pleasantly surprised at the great choices available.]

The bar area was nicely appointed and comfortable. Something to note though was the service in the bar. The bartender was too busy chatting with a customer at the bar and never came over to find out if I wanted anything. I eventually left.

Let me close on this: I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Take a room on a higher floor to eliminate street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mansour T
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We almost knocked it out of the park then the ball was dropped at the bar. Please accept our sincerest apology. I will definitely speak to the team to make sure they are aware of all guest presence.
I am glad that in the end the team did impress you enough and you enjoyed the facilities to return to the hotel. Again, a big thanks especially for your fairness.
Have a great holiday!
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here on Halloween night - pretty crazy evening in NYC. We were pretty happy with the stay. Some things to be aware of - the area is very close to some great restaurant choices, but no full restaurant in the hotel. The snack area has reasonable options + there are a few things at the bar. There is valet parking for $50 without in/out privileges. I think our rental car sustained a little damage - nothing that was a big deal. Self park is nearby not related to the hotel. When you arrive, it's not immediately obvious that you enter the lobby by going downstairs to the entry doors. There is an elevator as well. Staff as all have reported is very friendly and helpful. The best thing is that our room was very quiet - rare in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank gosaka
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I traveled with my husband. Our first time staying in Harlem; we traveled to attend a wedding and we were very pleased with the hotel and with Harlem. Stayed in 2nd floor and we could hear people talking in the streets but not to an uncomfortable level; not a crowded street however. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and the beds and pillows comfortable. If you walk down 124-118; there are nice places to eat and going up to the main avenue there is lots of commerce. We walked from our friends house in 119 St. late at night and everything seemed ok (there is a police station almost in front of the hotel ;)). Couple of guests with pets. Subway stations with directs lines to lower Manhattan very close. There was karaoke the night we checked-in and I think people from the neighborhood come and sing there, didn't bother us but we didn't stay longer either. The appetizer menu in the bar can definitely be improved as well as the service. In general, everything was very good.

Room Tip: Higher floors on either sides of building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenisse S
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for only 2 nights but had a great time. The room is hip and funky, love the walk in shower, and very tech friendly. Harlem by day is very cool to explore. Aloft is around the corner from the historic Apollo theatre! At night, it's a bit sketchy. But luckily, the XYZ lounge in the Aloft is the hippest spot to be at night. The staff were great. The facility was top notch. I'd definitely stay again. 10 mins walk to the northwest corner of Central Park and it was a cheap can ride in from LaGuardia. Overall, an amazing (albeit short) stay at Aloft Harlem.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank modefan
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights..read many reviews about loud music..asked for a room far away from that...no problem! Didn't hear it! Found accommodations and customer service above the norm...would stay there again

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laxdiva
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review. So happy to hear that the room and staff were to your liking. Please visit soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Harlem
Saint Nicholas Inn
Saint Nicholas Inn
#367 of 467 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!