“Great Hotel”

Ranked #231 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Spring City, PA
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Last week we won last minute tickets to see the Metallica show at the Apollo Theater. So last minute we were searching for a hotel for a Saturday night in NYC.

This hotel was great! It was cheaper than other hotels. It was very very clean and bigger than normal NYC hotel rooms. There was room to actually breathe and not be on top of each other. The bathroom area was separated by a nice wall which I liked. It came with complimentary water, coffee, and hot tea. The snackbar downstairs was great too. Typical snack bar .... wraps, sandwiches, yogurts, etc.

Room was very modern. Not the old 60's kinda normal hotel room. Flat panel tv mounted on the wall, extra outlets to plug in all your electronics, etc.

Staff was very very friendly. Quick check in and checkout. You didn't have to walk too far either to find a good place to eat or shop (although we didn't get a chance to shop).

I noticed they had a gym to but we didn't use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor not above the bar as it was very loud and I can only imagine what the 2nd floor had...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

first time for me in NYC, and this hotel was a good choice: good price, close to subway, good reception.
I'll take it next time.

Metro D, 1 are close enough, so good place.

general advice for NYC: prepare your feets

• Stayed September 2013
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Nice review. Thank you. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in New York City and at the Aloft Harlem. Good advice for all coming to NYC to prepare their feet....lots of walking to do while sight seeing here.
Hope to see you soon.
Simsbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Many people rave about this hotel, presumably since it is "hip", "trendy", "cool" and "modern". These adjectives are very accurate, so if you want a hip and trendy hotel, you will probably love this hotel. By contrast, if you want a more traditional quality hotel (e.g. Hilton, Marriott, or Sheraton) you will probably hate this hotel as much as I did. Here are the features that were very annoying: The elevators had some sort of strong scent that was intentionally added, the tiny lobby had very loud music playing (so loud that I was unable to make a phone call), the small hallway between the elevators and the lobby had the décor (if you can call it that) of a bus station (cement floor and a simple wooden bench), the carpet in my room was dirty, torn and worn out, the first thing that one sees upon opening the room door is a toilet, there is no traditional shampoo in the bathroom - instead there are industrial sized bottles of shampoo fixed to the wall, and the hotel is in an inconvenient location, with only low quality restaurants nearby. To be fair, this hotel does a great job with the cool, hip and trendy factor, but that's it. I hope to never stay at an Aloft hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Flintstone1234
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I must say that inspite of the two stars you gave us, you did give a very fair review of your likes or dislikes in a hotel, which is really great. You are correct Aloft is not the traditional hotel. It is a vision of the W Hotel brand which as you know if far from traditional.
In terms of the location we are a block away from 4 subway lines and you can get to Midtown Manhattan in less than 15 minutes, close to Central Park, Columbia University and a number of fantastic places.
We appreciate you taking the time to write the review.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'm writing this review primarily to Thank Jermel because I know the hotel manager regularly monitors tripadvisor - which is a good thing. Inevitably, when you travel alot you leave things behind. In this instance I had booked 2 rooms, one for the kids and 1 for us and we left 2 things behind. Jermel was instrumental in returning them to us, and I thank you for the great customer service which seems to be the overwhelming theme of this hotel, customer service.

It's location is great if you are going to Columbia University or the Apollo theater, it's 10 blocks away from the North end of Central Park, just across 110th street you'll find it there. I took advantage of all these things while I was there but ran out of things to do after.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I made sure to give a copy to Jermel and thank him as well. I did however joke with him that I read a scathing review on the site. We got a good laugh.
Jermel is an exceptional and dedicated member of the Aloft team who never fails to go above and beyond to help out guest and coworkers.
Wow...that is what comes to mind in your compliment of the customer service received. The management team know we are lucky to have this team.

Thank you again.

Bertrand, Assistant General Manager
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at the Aloft Harlem in August while moving our son to attend Columbia University. When we walked into the lobby, my son said "wow, mom this is really cool". What a great way to start our stay plus the front desk staff were happy to see us! The room was much bigger than any other hotel that we have stayed at in New York. Our stay included a breakfast, there were healthy choices, yogurt, fruit, etc, not a full breakfast. There are some very good restaurants in the area that are within walking distance. I know that some people would be skeptical about the area but we never felt unsafe. We were close enough that we walked to Columbia, some may find it too far but we wanted the exercise. We will stay there again when visiting our son. If you stay here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank your for taking the time to write a review. It's wonderful that your son was so exuberant upon his arrival to the hotel. We appreciate your detailed review of our Re:Fuel (food/snack/soft drinks) area and of the surrounding area. Harlem really is a great neighborhood that continues to get better.
We are glad you will be back.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at the Aloft Harlem from September 5th to September 8th 2013 with my husband.
We went to NYC to attend the Triton music festival which took place at the Irving Plaza which is all the way down where Union Square is. I was worried that the hotel might be too far but the subway ride is super fast, especially if you take the express train. The subway station is a 2 minute walk from the hotel which is perfect. They get an A+ for that!

The hotel is very clean and modern. I loved the large windows in the room. The size of the room was perfect for 2 people and larger than the usual NYC hotel room. I’m just going the list the details that stood out to me:

The shower has shampoo and body wash dispensers so you don’t need to pack your own little bottles. The wifi signal was great
The mini fridge in the room came in handy
You get 2 free bottles of water in the room
I really liked the service they offered where if you declined housekeeping service the hotel gives you a $5.00 voucher that you can use downstairs at the bar or in the little snack shop.
Modern décor
Comfortable beds, I slept well every night

I would definitely stay here again and recommend the Aloft Harlem to anyone looking for a different part of town to stay in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pineapple_dee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have nothing bad to say about Aloft Harlem. They accommodated our early check-in time, the room had everything we needed, and service was amazing. I know some people are skeptical about the area, but everyone we encountered was extremely friendly. The only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is because it's not right in the centre of Manhattan which is what most people want, but even by subway it's less than ten minutes away. The subway is only a couple minutes away by walking too. My friend and I came back on most nights around 11:30 PM and even 4 AM one morning and never really felt uncomfortable walking the streets at night. I would 100% come back here the next time I'm in New York.

• Stayed August 2013
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the rave review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Aloft Harlem. Although not in the center of Manhattan, Harlem is growing and slowly changing skeptics minds. We look forward to having you back with us. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Harlem
Saint Nicholas Inn
Saint Nicholas Inn
#361 of 467 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!