“Love This Hotel and Staff”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #250 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 19, 2013

All the staff at this hotel were wonderful from the second we walked in. The person at the front desk (Lyndon, I think?) was very friendly and helpful, as were the security guards who gave us directions to nearby restaurants. The staff at the bar were equally wonderful and kept me entertained while my husband had to work. The rooms are modern, relatively quiet, and clean. My only complaint is that there are weird sliding doors on the bathroom that don't provide much privacy. The hotel is also close to the subway and several restaurants and bars. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PortlandMorgan
Kaytlyn D, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for your rave review! So happy you found our staff to be both helpful and entertaining...we agree! We are lucky to have such a great team that is focused on guest service. We hope to have the opportunity to have you with us again soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here about 10 days and before I thought that it is danger place - Harlem! But It was great and comfortable, very friendly staff, big, bright and clean room. The location is good - 10 min by subway and you are in the centre of Manhattan) I like it really much

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the review! We are glad that you are pleased with the property and hope that if your travels bring you this way again that we can continue to host you.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had never stayed in this neighborhood in NYC before (I usually am in midtown for work) but I have to be at Columbia University for a couple of days so I opted to stay here instead. It was great! The hotel staff is super friendly and helpful. The location was fine for me because I got to explore a part of the city I never have before.

My only complaint was that the beds have this weird pad under the sheets. It was kind of loud so I removed mine and slept fine after that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. We are happy this was a convenient option for you, and that you were able to discover the wonderful neighborhood of Harlem and it's surrounding neighborhoods. We hope your work brings you back this way soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 weeks ago for 3 nights, the neighborhood at first hand looks a little rough, and dangerous...but I gotta be honest, i was up late walking around it, coming back from a fun night in Manhattan and there were a lot of people on the street and in the subway stations....im talking about 1-2am....hotel looks new, great cozy rooms and comfy beds, 2 blocks away from the subway station, u don't need a taxi...the express "D" will take u to anywhere u need to be at...yankee stadium, times square, little Italy.. etc etc..... The staff is great, we were able to do an early check in on Monday at 10am...loved it!!!! btw there is a gourmet deli store right next to it... u gotta try their sandwiches, cheap and delicious!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Kaytlyn D, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thanks for the awesome review of the hotel! Most people don't realize how convenient it is to be in Harlem, and you have highlighted that so well. You are litereally 2 stops away from Times Square, but away from all of the crazy hustle and bustle of Midtown! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here, and hope you will come back to visit Harlem soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

There is a lot to be said about the Aloft in Harlem; and a lot to be desired. My employer has an agreement with this hotel, so I've stayed here at least 10 times, most recently for 22 days straight.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are spotless. The features are new, and everything works. The rooms are quiet. Large windows allow light in, if you want; room darkening shades allow you to block the light, if you'd rather. The hotel is proud of their bathroom amenities, but to me soap and shampoo are just soap and shampoo.

Getting around: The hotel is two blocks from the A, C, B, D and three blocks from the 2, 3; one block from 125th Street and the MTA buses that run there; the M10 bus stops literally at the front door of the hotel. The staff will call a car service for you, if you want; the cars usually arrive within 5 minutes or so.

What's not to like:

There's no restaurant and the re:fuel station has limited offerings. Local restaurants are about three blocks away.

There's no swimming pool

There's no closet in the room and no drawers; instead, rooms have a modular cubby-hole feature. There's a short hanger hook with four hangers on it. There's literally no place to put your underwear; everything you bring is out in the open.

If you're a smoker, you'll find this place especially unwelcoming. It's a smoke-free hotel—and I don't have a problem with that as most all hotels are these days. But there's literally no place to sit and smoke. The only outdoor space is a tiny smoke-free atrium. You'll have to stand out on the sidewalk to smoke. The nearest place to sit is the Harriet Tubman statue two blocks south, which has a rock wall with no back and no shade. Area parks are three and four blocks away, but be warned: smoking is not allowed in NYC parks.

The noise of the bar/lounge is off-putting if you're not a trendy 20-something. But note: the noise is not noticeable in the guest rooms.

I should probably appreciate the big intimidating security guards in the lobby, but I find it annoying to have to show my room key just to get to the elevators EVERY time.

Room Tip: All the rooms are about equal. No room has an excellent view. Rooms facing 124th Street have a broad...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Scott H

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us, especially since you were with us for quite a while! We are happy that you were pleased with the cleanliness of our rooms and that you felt our staff was helpful to you. Even though the Aloft Harlem isn't your niche, we do hope that our guest service and our willingness to do whatever it takes to make our guests happy will be enough to send you back our way soon! Please do let us know if we can do anything to improve your time here in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

we found this hotel through the Columbia University website. stayed for one night in June 2013. staff were friendly and reasonably efficient and they were helpful. the decor is basic and a little trendy. room was large enough to house two double beds. the bathroom had a strange smell. i guess it needed to be cleaned a bit better. however, the real issue is the neighbourhood. if you know NYC you would not stay here. this is harlem and it is a bit rough looking. just given the location the hotel should not be charging what they do.

Room Tip: location, location, location. this hotel just doesnt have it. its a rough neighbourhood
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. While you may have not felt that the neighborhood was for you, we are glad you found our staff to be helpful and accomodating, and we hope to have you back with us sometime soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've stayed at the NYC Aloft Harlem four times in the last two months and this time I decided to write a review. This is a great hotel with a super great staff at the front desk. They are courteous, resourceful and friendly. The hotel is new, and the rooms are well equipped and clean. An even greater plus is the A train is 2 blocks away and the express has you at Penn St. in 3 stops, or about 10 minutes. Can't beat that for a commute. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Kaytlyn D, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for posting a review about your stay with us, and thank you for your continued loyalty to the Aloft Harlem. We will strive to continue to provide you with an exceptional experience each time you stay with us...and you're right, you can't beat that commute!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Midtown
Seton Hotel
Seton Hotel
#176 of 471 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!