“A Loft Harlem”

Ranked #236 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York, New York, United States
“A Loft Harlem”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel stafff is very helpful, however, I found the manager to be in need of some diversity training. The hotel accomodations were very good and the location is prime for visitors to Harlem or upper Manhattan.

Room Tip: Corner rooms and higher floors are best
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and thank you for the great review! We are glad you found our hotel to be pleasant and an asset to the community. We do apologize if one of our managers was not up to par when dealing with you. We will address that immediately! Please be sure to stay with us in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I love Starwood hotels, particularly the consistency of the Aloft Hotels. I love the smell just walking into their lobbies. The lobby here has very loud music and is very upbeat. It makes for a trendy, modern feel, but it does make it hard to communicate at the front desk. The rooms were small, but the decor and cleanliness make up for it. Nice television. Pricier than what I normally like to spend on 3 nights, but it was rather close to transportation and somewhat less expensive than other places we looked into. I love hanging out in the lobby and at the lobby bar in our down time, but on the last day, there was a large children's family birthday party there. I felt unwelcomed and uncomfortable while in the lobby area trying to use the computer to print our boarding passes and finding somewhere to sit to wait for our friends & cab, while I was literally in the center of someone's family/party anywhere I went. That was odd to me, to inconvenience guests who are paying for use of the facility to rent out the lobby or however they arranged it. Otherwise, overall good place.

• Stayed December 2012
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad you found a clean, modern hotel for your stay, our bar is one of the "it" places in Harlem so sometimes it does get a bit busy. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you will visit us again.
Brussels
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed one night in this still fairly new ALOFT Hotel. Quiet room on the 4th floor on a side street ... and that was perfect. For those familiar with the ALOFT set up ... do ask for a room that is not too close to the lively lounge bar. This one had live music and a happy crowd. It didn't bother us at all since we were a good distance removed. The room has a pleasant designer feel to it. The TV is huge. The shower adequate. Staff very friendly and more than accommodating to help out with any special needs. The hotel is just a block away from a subway station with an express D line train that drops you without stops at Columbus Circle and 8th Ave in just 7 minutes. Many good restaurants walking distance from the hotel in this very lively neighbourhood. A winner !

Room Tip: Ask for a room where lounge noise won't be a nuisance!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are glad that you found our hotel to be convenient and pleasant to stay in. We are lucky to have staff that really cares about the guest and that is what really makes a difference. Please come visit us again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Aloft Harlem hotel is one of the hotels under the Starwood brand and I must say it is one of the best hotels I have ever visited. I work in Manhattan and just about a year ago, I checked into the Aloft and was pleasantly surprised to find a hotel like this in Harlem.

The number one feature of the hotel is the staff. From the GM, Daniel, to the managers, Vivian, Luiza and Babene, they are fantastic hosts. All of the staff at the front desk, the bar, security, maintenance and housekeeping have treated me like family. The rooms are always clean and may not be very big, but the 42" TV is a plus. There are a lot of fun activities happening at the lounge area, which includes a pool table and Apple computers provided to you free of charge. I truly look forward to seeing my "friends" at the Aloft weekly.

By the way, the price

Room Tip: Select a room above the 3rd floor. The music maybe too loud if a function is occuring
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JayPee62
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
THANK YOU!! You are awesome and we are very lucky to have you as a permanent guest of ours. It is a pleasure to serve you every week and hopefully we could continue to do it. Thanks for being a great guest and for pointing out our best asset, our staff!!
Dublin
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the end of our New York holiday!
From the minute we checked in until we left the staff could not do enough. They make the place, nothing was too much trouble and advised us on best places in Harlem. The bar lady was great fun, cant remember her name and the reception staff the same. The rooms are big and clean and have everything you could need, and the bed was huge, always a plus!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank con23
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for the great review!! We are very lucky to have such a wonderful staff that truly cares about the guest. We are glad you were able to experience our lounge. Come to visit us again!
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed in Harlem only one night after arriving from the West Coast. There were no hotel rooms available on Saturday night when I landed, due to the NYC Half Marathon, St. Patrick's Day parades and the Big East Conference basketball tournament at MSG. I chose the Aloft because of the reviews I had read online, and because it was centrally-located. I was also curious about this Starwood boutique product - could a big-chain hotel bring things down a notch, while still maintaining customer service, style and comfort? The answer is yes! I was delighted by the Aloft and would highly recommend staying here to friends.

I'll admit I was a bit put off by the lobby at first; the check in desk takes up the majority of space, and adjacent to it is the bar area, which was hopping when I arrived around midnight. The check-in staff had to literally talk into my hear in order for me to hear what she way saying over the loud music, but I have to say - everyone was so friendly, I didn't mind. I asked for a quiet room on an upper floor, and I have to say, I didn't hear a peep all night. In-room Bliss products were great - very trendy and good products too. The TV was huge too. Although my room was across from the elevators, I really didn't hear anything.

I didn't try the breakfast the next morning, which appeared to be a self-serve style, but I did notice healthy options and it looked appealing.

Just a heads -up: if you have a lot of luggage, getting to the front door may be an issue. The entrance is down some concrete stairs so be prepared. I struggled with my suitcase for a bit, then a man came up and helped me with it - carrying it all the way down the stairs. I thought at first that he worked for the hotel. He opened the door for me and said, "Welcome to Harlem!" and then went into the bar. I was so touched - what a sweet gesture for a total stranger. This small act of kindness really set the mood for my entire stay. Wish I had more time to explore this amazing part of New York City. But don't worry Aloft: I'll be back!

1 Thank RetroStewardess
Thank you for the great review! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and are very happy you encounter great customer service, not only from our staff but also from the community. Also thank you for pointing out all the great things our hotel has to offer, please be sure to stay with us in the near future.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel staff and the style makes this hotel compete with any 4 Star hotel in midtown, only without room service. The reasonable pricing takes it over the top. When I don't stay at the W Times Square, I will be staying here for now on.

1 Thank jkin5022
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to meet your expectations. We are also very happy that you are keeping all of your stays within the Starwood family. Thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Harlem
Saint Nicholas Inn
Saint Nicholas Inn
#367 of 467 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!