“Excellent Value Close to Subway, Downtown NYC”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #247 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Clean, cool hotel a block away from the subway and the Apollo Theatre. The staff is delightful and the decor is cool---lots of Harlem-specific memorabilia. Free wifi, quiet room on third floor, I liked it.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank maxjeffjen1
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for the great review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our cool and modern Aloft Hotel. We are lucky to be in an area that is very convenient for public transportation, we are also very proud of our staff that is willing to do anything and everything for the guest. Come to stay with us again soon in the near future!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love this hotel for the most part. It's in a great location but they need to get microwaves in the rooms. I think it's crazy that if you want to hear up something late at night that you have to walk downstairs. They need to fix that.

• Stayed: October 2012
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with us! We hope that you come to visit again in the near future and we will be sure to submit your request to Starwood to see if they would consider putting microwaves in all Aloft hotels.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

When I first heard I was booked on business to stay in Harlem I was skeptical. The area has a great small town feel beleive it or not. This hotel was great. I stayed on the 4th floor facing a residential building. While there was some trash pick up noise I did not really notice it as any more disturbing as hearing the snow plow go by my house at 5AM in Oswego , NY. I found the room extremely clean. I can tell the cleaning staff must take pride in a job well done as nothing was left for next time of shoved off as good enough. The desk help was amazingly friendly and gave you the feel they knew everyone staying there. I appreciated the friendly smiles and AM/PM conversations with them.
The beds were very comfortable. The hotel has dish TV which was a surprise to me. The shower had excellent pressure and the same Moen shower head I have at home.
The hotel bar was a nice cozy place to wait for coworkers to gather before we would go out for dinner evenings. The only thing that surprised me was the fountain soft drinks at the bar were some odd brand and the diet "coke" was bizarre tasting. Would decidedly stay again and told the booking agent for the company to feel free to place me there next time I am in that area. I was staying in Harlem and working up near Columbia. I would cab it in the mornings and enjoyed the walk back to the hotel in the late afternoons.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert M
Kaytlyn D, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your review of our property! We completely agree, Harlem is truly New York's hidden treasure, a tight knit neighborhood that does have a sort of "small town" feel! We are so glad that this felt like "home" to you while you were visiting, and we hope to welcome you back again soon! Thank you for the feedback about the fountain soda as well, we will look into it ASAP. Take care, and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

While my son was at Columbia University, we searched for a decent hotel in the area, but stayed at some pretty funky places until we found the Aloft in Harlem. What a cool place! The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable and the bathroom was great. Very cool vibe in the lobby at night, but a little young for us aging boomers. Free wi-fi and coffee. Within walking distance to campus, if you are up for a short hike. You can take the route through Morningside park. This hotel is in a very cool neighborhood, lots of great restaurants, we had an amazing brunch on Sunday at Lido on Frederick Douglas Blvd. We have finally found a good place to stay near Columbia!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the great review! We welcome a lot Columbia families here at the Aloft Harlem, so we are happy you have found us. I'm so glad this was a convenient option and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be your "home away from home" in New York whenever you are visiting you son. Cheers!

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I was already familiar with the aloft brand, after a trip to their Austin location, but Harlem was just amazing. It is in the heart of Harlem literally steps away from the Apollo Theatre and the Studio Museum is just another block away. There's one of the Manna's restaurant locations just steps away. We could see the Magic Johnson theater from our window. I was there for research at the Schomburg which was a bit longer walk but still very close. Also just a short walk from Red Rooster and Sylvia's. The staff was incredibly helpful and responsive. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Mimora

Wow, thank you for a wonderful review! You definitely hit all of the Harlem gems that we like to reccomend, and it sounds like you were able to have a great experience here! Thank you so much for the loyalty to our brand, we hope you will continue to explore more Aloft properties in the future, and we would love to have you back at ours! Cheers!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while in NYC on business. The room was good sized, the bathroom was modern, and the bar/resturant always seemed fairly busy. It is close to a subway station and plenty of shopping around. Just down the street was a parking garage and was much more reasonably priced than midtown. The elevator to get down to the lobbly level is immediately on the left BEFORE you head down the outside stairs--its a little hidden but just turn to the left and it is right there---much easier than carrying down your luggage if it is heavy or many bags than the stairs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We are so glad that your business travels brought you to the Aloft Harlem, and we are happy you enjoyed your stay! If you are ever in New York again, we hope you will consider staying at our property again. Stay Sassy!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Loved the very helpful staff, great room, comfortable bed and central location. My friends who live in NYC were impresses with my digs. I danced until I couldn't dance any more to the best DJ I ever heard spinning and mixing the music on Saturday night. Aloft Harlem is the business. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the best room available. I had a corner room with windows on two sides which made the room...