“Very small, but clean”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #228 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for the first time on a 3 night stay for business. Front desk staff is very friendly. The main floor with the front desk is actually in the basement level. Very small elevator to go down from street level. Not well lit outside. Not much in the neighborhood to eat. Harlem Tavern is a couple of blocks and the Apollo Theater is near by. Movie theater across the street and police station half a block away. We didn't see any problems at night, but just didn't feel safe enough to walk alone. Hotel bar is very small with little seating available. Mixed drinks were $12-14. Good selection of drinks and beer. Staff very nice. 6th floor rooms were extremely hot. We were told that even with the thermostat off, the building heating system overrides and comes on when the outside temperature reaches a certain temperature. Beds are comfortable. Room was clean but very small. Small fridge in room. Very small area to hang clothes. Would I stay here again???? Only if something better wasn't available.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Kaytlyn D, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your open and honest feedback on our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve, and the only way for us to do so is to hear the positives and negatives from our guests. As you know, space is a precious commodity in New York City, and we have worked very hard to make sure our guest rooms have everything you would need, while using the space as efficiently as possible. Hope to see you again soon at the Aloft Harlem!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just left the hotel and I loved it. Very hip hotel with DJ at night. There was not much or anything to say bad about the hotel I have a friend that lives there so I will be returning in a couple of weeks. The front desk staff was really nice and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for the great review of our hotel! We have our live DJ every Friday & Saturday night, so hopefully when you come back you can join in on the fun again! It's our hope that you will continue to make the Aloft Harlem your home away from home in New York City. Until next time, Stay Sassy!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was a little hesitant to book the hotel in the neighborhood not being from New York. I asked my daughter who I was visiting and she gave it a thumbs up. So, I took a chance and booked it. I am really glad I did. I have never been impressed with New York hotels. They are usually expensive and SMALL. The room here was large and comfortable. The price was reasonable. The hotel staff was helpful and pleasant - not always the case in New York.

It has my recommendation and I will stay there again. And the neighborhood? I felt comfortable and the NY police department is just down the street. It is a big city, so you have to be careful, but that is true no matter where you stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John W
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you took the chance to stay with us and that you loved it! We do have a great staff and a great hotel and the perk of having the police station across the street is awesome. We hope that you stay with us again if you have to visit your daughter.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Don't be scared away by the location. Close to subways and very safe neighborhood. Service is excellent and helpful as they know not every guest knows their way around Harlem. Rooms are quiet and have DirectTV. Easy to get restaurant delivery to the hotel. All the rooms are pretty much the same. Good snack bar and breakfast with lots of healthy choices. Only negative is that the beds have really small rock hard foam pillows. Every other Starwood has great options for feather.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same configuration. It's pretty quiet so facing the street is no big deal
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the great review! We wish you would have let us know while you were staying that you needed feather pillows as we do have them upon request! Thanks for pointing out that we have a great staff, it is one of our strongest attribute.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife & I stayed two nights while visiting a relative. Friendly staff & welcoming atmosphere. Good prices, including non-ripoff continental breakfast (about $12pp). Room was comfortable, quiet (except loud heating/ac unit); controllable temp; and clean. Room looked surprisingly worn, though, w/ spots on carpet, & somer peeling veneer on counter. Hallways have a dreary, industrial decor. But our expectations had been perhaps too high. Overall, we'd stay again.

1  Thank Jeffrey S

Thank you for the review, we appreciate all the things that you pointed out, we are sad to learn that it was not a memorable experience, we hope in the future you give us a second chance so we can wow you and your family!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great new hotel with really friendly staff. Pool table, free internet terminals and bar in the lobby give it more of a mixed hostel vibe without the hippie commune feel. The price was great because of the location in Harlem but it was really close to the north side of central park and the subway. The incentive scheme given for being enviromentally friendly was brilliant. Every day you feel you don't need house keeping they give a $5 Aloft coupon to use, great selection of candy, chips, drinks etc, no bar drinks though! Also free coffee all day!

Room Tip: Not all rooms come with breakfast but do have a fridge. There is a corner store two doors down. Lowe...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for a great review and also thank you for being part of the green program at Aloft! We are glad you found our hotel convenient and perfect for you! Come back to stay at our hotel when you are in NYC in the near future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel was close to the St. Luke Outpatient unit where i needed to go and as it was a Starwood hotel, I thought I would give it a try.

The staff was kind and professional. I left one of my personal items and the registration agent let me know that a pharmacy was nearby and I could get it for $2 if I wanted to walk a block. The hotel had it for$12. I took the walk.

My room was clean but dismal. It was on the 6th floor with only buildings outside of both large windows for me to look at. The rooms are small and look like what I would expect in a Motel 6. Lighting in the room was not great. There was an ironing board and iron and a refrigerator but no microwave. A microwave would have been great since I had food left over from the day before but without one, I just tossed it.

There are restaurants/delis nearby but I ordered my food from eat24.com (I love this company!) and had it delivered to the hotel. The security guard at the hotel escorted the food deliverer to my door and waited to escort him back to the lobby. I was pleased with the security at the hotel.

Lobby is pretty, quite small and has a pool-table for guests entertainment.

Even though the hotel was ok for this stay, it was not what I expected and I would not stay here again. Just too small and dismal - depressing. I would tell friends and colleagues about it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a one or two night stay to visit the Apollo (in walking distance) or Magic Johnson's theater (across the street).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments about your stay at the Aloft Harlem hotel, we are sad to learn that the experience you had here was not memorable. Aloft is brand that is gear for the transient guest that comes only for a few days, it is convenient and simple. It gets a bit challenging when the stay gets longer and although our rooms are small they are much bigger then an average NYC hotel room. We will share all your comments with the proper departments and would hope that if you are in NYC again for only a few days that you could give us a second chance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
#2 of 14 in Bronx
Morningside Inn
Morningside Inn
#442 of 469 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!