“Good; We'd Stay Again; But Slight Disappointment”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #242 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife & I stayed two nights while visiting a relative. Friendly staff & welcoming atmosphere. Good prices, including non-ripoff continental breakfast (about $12pp). Room was comfortable, quiet (except loud heating/ac unit); controllable temp; and clean. Room looked surprisingly worn, though, w/ spots on carpet, & somer peeling veneer on counter. Hallways have a dreary, industrial decor. But our expectations had been perhaps too high. Overall, we'd stay again.

1  Thank Jeffrey S
Luisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thank you for the review, we appreciate all the things that you pointed out, we are sad to learn that it was not a memorable experience, we hope in the future you give us a second chance so we can wow you and your family!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great new hotel with really friendly staff. Pool table, free internet terminals and bar in the lobby give it more of a mixed hostel vibe without the hippie commune feel. The price was great because of the location in Harlem but it was really close to the north side of central park and the subway. The incentive scheme given for being enviromentally friendly was brilliant. Every day you feel you don't need house keeping they give a $5 Aloft coupon to use, great selection of candy, chips, drinks etc, no bar drinks though! Also free coffee all day!

Room Tip: Not all rooms come with breakfast but do have a fridge. There is a corner store two doors down. Lowe...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for a great review and also thank you for being part of the green program at Aloft! We are glad you found our hotel convenient and perfect for you! Come back to stay at our hotel when you are in NYC in the near future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel was close to the St. Luke Outpatient unit where i needed to go and as it was a Starwood hotel, I thought I would give it a try.

The staff was kind and professional. I left one of my personal items and the registration agent let me know that a pharmacy was nearby and I could get it for $2 if I wanted to walk a block. The hotel had it for$12. I took the walk.

My room was clean but dismal. It was on the 6th floor with only buildings outside of both large windows for me to look at. The rooms are small and look like what I would expect in a Motel 6. Lighting in the room was not great. There was an ironing board and iron and a refrigerator but no microwave. A microwave would have been great since I had food left over from the day before but without one, I just tossed it.

There are restaurants/delis nearby but I ordered my food from eat24.com (I love this company!) and had it delivered to the hotel. The security guard at the hotel escorted the food deliverer to my door and waited to escort him back to the lobby. I was pleased with the security at the hotel.

Lobby is pretty, quite small and has a pool-table for guests entertainment.

Even though the hotel was ok for this stay, it was not what I expected and I would not stay here again. Just too small and dismal - depressing. I would tell friends and colleagues about it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a one or two night stay to visit the Apollo (in walking distance) or Magic Johnson's theater (across the street).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments about your stay at the Aloft Harlem hotel, we are sad to learn that the experience you had here was not memorable. Aloft is brand that is gear for the transient guest that comes only for a few days, it is convenient and simple. It gets a bit challenging when the stay gets longer and although our rooms are small they are much bigger then an average NYC hotel room. We will share all your comments with the proper departments and would hope that if you are in NYC again for only a few days that you could give us a second chance.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel at least 4 times because it is close to Columbia University, my reason for visiting. It is very clean, with modern finishes. I have never had a bad experience until my most recent visit in Jan.2013. I was on the third floor in a room without a view. It was a quick trip so I thought no problem. I could see the top of the lobby however. They seem to have a small but very popular club . When I went to bed I could feel and hear the vibrations from the music through the pillow. It was weird. I have to return to Harlem next month and I will stay at this hotel again but not in room 310. I will check the view before I settle in. In fairness, I have been offered an "upgrade" when I return. We will see.
They have on site self serve laundry. Very nice touch. I used it for the first time.

Room Tip: If you can see the roof of the lobby/club or you have room 310. Just say NO. There is an elevator...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for being a loyal guest of ours, we are truly sorry we did not meet your expectations on the trip you had in January, next time please call us ahead and we will make sure to find a room where no noise could reach. Please give us another chance and we will make you love us again!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just recently stayed at this hotel from the 27th of Dec. 2012 to Jan 3rd, 2013. I could have not been any happier. The hotel is not far from downtown or times square. The subway is a block away and has 4 major lines, A,B,C,D with the advantage of the local lines (stops at all the station on the way) and the express (bypasses the small stations). This was a great thing as you can get to times square in minutes.

The staff was amazing! We were greeted every time we came in and out of the lobby. The area was not unsafe to travel at night as long as your are not alone. There is a police station in front of the hotel and a movie theatre as well.

I would definitely recommend this hotel as the prices were fair and the location was excellent!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

We are glad you had such a good time during the NYE holiday! Thanks for the great review, you have pointed out one of our strongest attribute, our staff! Come to see us again soon!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great hotel. Great price. Great location. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I LOVED the location in the midst of Harlem--or make that the New Harlem. The rooms were sleek and modern. Not the biggest in the world but darn sure big by NY standards. And more importantly, CLEAN! But it also had a sophisticated, young professional vibe. I saw so many sights I had heard about--the Apollo Theater, Sylvia's Soul Food, Marcus Samuelson's Red Rooster, Lenox Avenue, etc. I heard so many accents and languages from Jamaica, Africa, South America, etc. And the obvious white tourists really didn't stick out. They looked as safe as anyone else, probably because the number of young white professionals is more commonplace as the area gentrifies. We walked more than I have in years. It's actually fairly close to Columbia University. Tip: The #60 bus from LaGuardia cost all of $2.25 and took less than 30 minutes, dropping us off about a block away from the hotel. Tip 2: The subway is quick and easy, but grimy. Don't drop anything.

1  Thank Wheelsturning

Thanks for a great review! We appreciate all the kind words and we loved the fact that you were able to visit all the cool things in town. It sounds that we have a loyal guest on you, come to stay with us again in the near future!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I originally chose this hotel because quite frankly it was the only hotel within walking distance of my client. But I was greatly and pleasantly surprised. The staff are awesome and helpful. Rooms clean and boutique-ish. This was my first Aloft and I will stay there again for business. The buffet for breakfast was great with healthy choices for meals as well. Plenty of yogurt, salads and complimentary coffee as well.
The staff are really incredible and quite frankly they are what makes this hotel so special. Kudos to my new friends. This is your friend that lives in the country where we have no sidewalks. Room 322. Barb

Room Tip: Get an inner room. Not one facing Frederick Douglas Blvd.
1  Thank tyleretakoda

Thank you so much for this great review! We are glad that we were able to pleasantly surprise you, we are very lucky to have a wonderful staff. Thanks again for staying with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Seton Hotel
#188 of 470 in New York City
Opera House Hotel
#2 of 14 in Bronx

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!