“Hip Harlem Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #218 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Netherlands
“Hip Harlem Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just got back from New York and were quite impressed by the aloft concept. Style and design of the hotel is very appealing, fresh and hip. We liked the modern hall with efficient reception desk, the option to get food in the lobby 24 hours if you want, even though we didn't make any use of it as we wanted to have a full breakfast at a diner on the Upper West side, and the possibility to meet, have a drink or play pool. The rooms are spacious with every amenity necessary. We really liked the design of it as well.You were supposed to be able to hook up your electronic devices such as iPhone and iPod to your TV but we didn't have the appropriate cables and the hotel couldn't supply us with the cables either. That was actually the only draw back. We also enjoyed coming back to the hotel in the evenings as it actually functions as a happening Harlem get together with great music and dance in the hall. We didn't mind the location at all. The 125th A,C,B,D metro stop station is a 5 minute walk, which we found safe at all times of the day. The neighboorhood has been upgraded the past years and it is an easy walk up through Morningside Park to get to Columbia and the other metro as well. We are totally convinced that the aloft concept is the way to go and we will be looking out for aloft hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bas_8
Ashton P, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Bas_8,

Thank you for your hip review! I first would like to apologize for not having extra cords to supply your iPod; guests grab them up very quickly. I glad that otherwise you had an amazing stay with us and will hopefully try our B&F options next time you stay with us and around the world as well. We are looking forward to your return! Thank you again for staying at Aloft Harlem. Stay Sassy!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Three of us stayed here for a long weekend - from the welcoming checkin to the final checkout, everything was top notch. Conveniently located one block from the subway, very reasonably priced. Good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ashton P, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Onereallyniceguy,

Thank you for your really nice review! We always aim to please and surprise our guests. You hit our fabulous amenities on the nail. We are looking forward to you staying with us for another week, in the near future. Thank you for stay again at the Aloft Harlem. Stay Savvy!
Ipswich, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family and I stayed here on a Saturday night (Oct. 6th) and found the room to be very comfortable. Yes, it's Harlem, but no, you won't get mugged as soon as you get off the bus or subway. Because of rising prices and everyone trying to find affordable housing, this area is really starting to blossom. I never felt unsafe and there were always a ton of people on the streets.

The beds were very good, great shower. Style is ultra modern, if that makes a difference. They are still finishing the hotel. Many floor moldings have yet to be installed. And there were buckets of paint in the lobby. Not that this mattered to me. Staff was ultra nice and friendly.

One warning: The bar off the lobby becomes a lounge on weekends (perhaps every night) with very, very loud music. Be sure to request a quiet room where you won't hear it, unless you want to.

Breakfast was quite good and filling, though I got charged a $10 food and beverage fee when I was told breakfast was included. At $310 including tazes, I suppose this is a relatively good deal compared to other Manhattan hotels and locations. Still not cheap by any means.

Hotel is very close to two major subway lines, as well as buses. You can walk to the Columbia University neighborhood in 10 minutes. Very convenient.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room as far away from the lounge as possible.
2 Thank MassWineGuy
MassWineGuy,

Thanks for your very nice review! We are glad that you had a comfortable and safe time here at our hotel. We will be looking forward to your return! Your review provides us with valuable insights on how to better provide our services. Thank you for reviewing. Thank you again for staying at the Aloft Harlem. Stay Savvy!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at the Aloft Harlem Oct. 5&6....the staff (Victor) were helpful and friendly. The room was a bit odd (4 of us in total) We could not figure out the lighting system so we had to go to the bathroom in the dark. The sink was on the outside of the bathroom? Strange set up...but we were there because of the price. Location was not bad...I certainly wouldn't venture out in the neighborhood at 2:00 am or anything... taxis were readily available. I would recommend this place if you need a place to lay your head down after a long day in NYC and don't want to pay a ridiculous prices for it.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor or above....get's pretty noisy otherwise.
Nadia246,

Thank you for your review! We are honored that you decided to stay with us! It is always a pleasure to serve you. We hope that the next time you need a place to lay your head in NYC, it will be at the Aloft Harlem. Thank you again for staying and we look forward to your return. Stay Sassy!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The positives:

1. Friendly and helpful front desk staff. Super nice, actually. These people sure seem to like what they do. The staff gets five stars.
2. Our room was available at 9am after our red eye landed, a great surprise. And something they didn't have to do, so thank you.
3. Decent sized and clean room with a comfy bed.
4. Super close subway station (a 2-3 minute walk) with many express options to the more touristy areas of Manhattan. 20 minutes to Chelsea and Wall Street areas. There are three 125th St subway stations in Harlem. To avoid surprises make sure you head to the A/B/C/D station from other Manhattan locales. The other two stations are within walking distance, but not nearly as close as the station mentioned above. After a long day walking around, it makes a difference.
5. I felt safe walking in this neighborhood - lots of people on the street at 9pm-11pm, which is when we usually got back to the hotel after some long days. I probably wouldn't cruise around here at 1am. This is definitely an up and coming neighborhood. We talked to a real estate agent at a Dunkin' Donuts down the street who was renting out a small walkup 2 bedroom for $2200 a month and she predicted that in 2-3 years the neighborhood will be unaffordable. Maybe stay here while the hotel rates are still below what you would shell out for other sections of Manhattan.
6. 15 minute walk (and the blocks are short!!) to the North End of Central Park, which is the less visited but equally beautiful part of the park. Check out the conservatory gardens or the Harlem Meer.

The negatives
1. Maybe this isn't the best neighborhood to stay in for a first time visitor to NYC. There just didn't seem like there was a lot going on at night and so I never felt like we got that quintissential NYC experience here, something maybe you could get in Greenwich Village, parts of Chelsea or even on the Upper West Side. You know - just wandering around late at night after a nice dinner, popping into a late night coffee shop for dessert, strolling through the parks. The area just didn't inspire that, and it wasn't because we felt unsafe. So perhaps in that way this neighborhood wasn't a complete match for us. I can't really ding the hotel for this, but the surrounding area is definitely part of the overall package.

2. The bathroom shower is great but the bathroom itself is poorly lit and smelled musty because there aren't any fans.

So, a thumbs up for a more experienced NYC traveler looking to stay in an overlooked part of the city and doesn't want to be in midtown. More neutral for those looking for a more charming and cozy neighborhood experience.

Room Tip: Many reviews complain about the noise but the fans or AC in the room did a great job masking any str...
2 Thank Pam E
Pam E,

Thanks for your wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoyed your room and our talented staff. Being able to walk down to Central Park is amazing, not to mention we are surrounded by Morningside, St. Nicholas, and Marcus Garvey Parks respectively. Did you get a chance to check out the Studio Museum, Dwyer Cultural Center, Schomburg, or the famous Strivers Row? When you come back and stay again, we will be sure to send you to all the Harlem spots! Thank you again for your review! Stay Savvy!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

While looking for my daughter's first NYC apartment in the area, I decided to stay at Aloft Harlem. What better way to get the feel of the neighborhood, its pulse, rhythm and character? I am familiar with NYC, the W hotels and I heard about Alofts before, therefore I did not hesitate to book here.

And guess what, I did not regret my decision!

The first impression though when I stepped out of my cab at Aloft Harlem address, feeling cranky after a long flight, was a slight confusion... I saw a bar downstairs and as much as I might have been might be up for a drink at that moment, I really wanted to check-in, drop my bags and freshen up first.

There was no sign pointing to a reception, no bell boy or hotel employee outside to greet me. I have not seen one in 5 days that I stayed there. Luckily some guests let me know how to get to the elevator first, and descent to the reception/bar level.

From that moment on it was a breeze! What a lovely, lovely, welcoming staff they have there!

Check-in lasted a minute or two, and than it was up to my floor. If you are looking for a sleek, modern, bachelor pad interior, you will find it here. For my female taste it was slightly too macho, BUT very clean, spacious and quite comfortable, with the exception of a mattress a bit too hard to my personal liking.

I can confirm that the weekend "fun" at the bar and a loud music (mentioned in other reviews) initially annoyed me, but it did not last the entire night.

My room had a little fridge (no mini bar), so if you want to have some soft drinks, juices, snacks etc. you can buy them downstairs in the lobby. One thing that I found a bit odd though was that you even have to purchase your own ice downstairs (???!!!). REALLY, C'MON!
The tiny hotel food shop offered sandwiches, fruit salads , wraps, nuts and such - and they were of an airport catering quality, so readjust your expectations. If you go for a quick ( emergency) bite, they will do.

Just like the receptionists (VICTOR, JINNY), both female bartenders were also really, really great. Their interaction with the guests was so professional, genuine, warm and friendly.

All in all, the location is convenient for Harlem explorers, subway lines are close by to take you quickly to Manhattan, rooms are quite comfortable and the taxis can be arranged through the reception in a few minutes. You can get a regular NYC yellow cab, or you can chose the option of a private company IVORE ("discreetly" marked and not looking very official but doing a good job).

The place and the services might not seem very "cookie cutter" = not identical with the full service hotels, but are definitely not inferior.

There are plenty of diverse restaurants blocks away; just Google them up, or ask the receptionist. STAFF IS THE BIGGEST ASSET OF THIS HOTEL! AMEN!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Orlemans,

Thank you for your outstanding and detailed review! It’s always refreshing when our talented staff gets recognized by our guests. Jinny, Victor, Purple, Naima are all great assets to our team. Thanks again for such a lovely review and hope that your daughter has settled in comfortably. We are looking forward to your return! Stay Sassy and Savvy!
Lahr, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been travelling to NYC several times and know how to move in the City with subway, busses, etc. So if you do so as well and/or if you don't mind travelling with the A-train (subway) to all major hot spots, I can really recommend this hotel! It is only one block away from subway station 125th street in a safe area. There is not much around to visit besides the Apollo theatre. The rooms are well equipped and relatively big; the quality of the facilities is very high including a comfortable bed. Wifi is complimentary. The rooms are quiet, but you can not open the windows. Nevertheless, the hotel part is ***** for me. Staff is very supportive and mostly very professional!
The bitter pill to swallow: Bar and breakfast are overprized. I skipped it and will definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dils2003
Dils2003,

Thank you for your amazing review! You hit the hotel right on the nail! Safe, comfortable, and equipped are great words to describe our facilities. Harlem is full of activities and sightseeing, be sure to check with the front desk for places to go. There are ways to save at our B&F outlets like Green Choice or enjoying one of the daily specials at the WXYZ Bar. We look forward to your return and feel free to reach out prior for ways to save! Thank you and see you soon! Stay Sassy and Savvy!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Marrakech Hotel
Marrakech Hotel
#385 of 467 in New York City
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,546 reviews

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!