“the first and the best”

Add it.
Noshwalks
Ranked #346 of 596 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Noshwalks offer 3-hour ethnic food tours of neighborhoods throughout New York City's 5 boroughs, combining history, local culture and and architecture with a lively culinary experience. with over 25 years leading gourmet bicycle tours as well as walking tours, founder Myra Alperson guides people to neighborhoods far from common tourist sites to get a far broader grasp - and taste - of the New York City foodscape. Three kosher tours are included in a selection of over 3 dozen tours.
new york
370 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 284 helpful votes
“the first and the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Noshwalks is a production of Myra Alperson's. Her food walking torus are still the best.
Her knowledge and enthusiasm are encyclopedic. She prewalks an area. She knows the negibhrohood. I think of her as an urban anthropologist or food anthropologist. Find otu if she still gives bike tours and I know she will do corporate or private tours.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank nycmom22

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Delicious food, charming guide, and casual structure made this tour the best experience I've had in NYC.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The tour will probably not go as you expect, but stick in there and you won't be disappointed.

I took the Brooklyn Brighton Beach tour. It got off to a slow start as Myra waited for a couple who were stuck on the train. She filled in the time by giving us a history of the neighborhood and sending us into a bank to look at a mural while she waited for the couple outside. The bank's management came out and looked very perplexed. It was uncomfortable.

We learned that we wouldn't eat at each stop. Rather, Myra would buy food at each establishment and we would find a place to ”picnic” later. She thought both options, the park and the boardwalk, would be crowded since it was such a nice day.

When the couple arrived, we walked toward the first restaurant and stopped several times for Myra to show us architecture and other points of interest. At the first stop, she picked up an order she placed prior to our arrival.

At each of the food stops, she gave us an overview of the establishment as we approached them. Our group went into a bakery and market where we picked out food that looked tasty. Myra purchased it and added it to the picnic fare. Each place was very crowded, and it seemed like our group was in everyone's way. However, each of us got to pick a dish to share with the group and learned a lot about what each establishment had to offer.

After buying an unbelievable amount of food, we headed to the park. Myra asked a few local elders whether they thought it was ok for us to lunch in the grass. With the elders' permission, Myra broke out a blanket and laid out the food, plates, and utensils. All of the group was caught off guard by having to sit on plastic bags over damp grass, but no one complained and we all had a glorious time chatting and enjoying foods that we'd never had before!

When everyone was so stuffed we could barely move (one guy was laid out in the grass!), we picked foods to take home and headed to the boardwalk. Myra showed us more architecture and gave us a history of the beach area. By the end of our tour, I felt like I had a good idea of what it was like to live, shop, and eat in the neighborhood.

I was very skeptical at first, thinking that the tour lacked structure, and even considered leaving early. However, by the tour's end, I had so much fun that I suck around to have coffee with Myra and even went to a few additional shops!

1 Thank dmoore012
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Kinda disorganized”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

I've been on a food walking tour in NYC before (west village) with another company. I'll be honest, even though she was nice, the tour was a little scattered and slightly disorganized...you have to be patient. Places we went to were interesting though.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank nycchick01
Westport, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Food Value in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

I've been on 4 or 5 walks with Myra. They are always fun, informative and taste terrific. What I value about Noshwalks is that Myra does her homework. She is prepared, knows what we are going to eat, where, and gives you a map so you can find the places again. Noshwalks is a great way to learn about neighborhoods in NYC that you would not normally visit. Finally, with Noshwalks you always get Myra, not some understudy.

Mike G.

1 Thank Popum
New York City
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not your typical walking tour - far more delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I have been on a couple of Noshwalks and each one has been memorable. As a native New Yorker, there are few surprises for me in this city, even in the most remote of neighborhoods, but Myra Alperson manages to uncover a few real gems on each outing. Her trips are thoroughly researched and the best part of each walk is that you never walk hungry. Myra makes sure that you sample tasty treats all along the way.

1 Thank PaulaNYC