“Decent NY Steak House” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wolfgang's Steakhouse--Midtown 54th Street

Wolfgang's Steakhouse--Midtown 54th Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Wolfgang's Steakhouse--Midtown 54th Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,365 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 3rd Avenue
Transit: E & V trains to Lexington Avenue-53rd Street.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Decent NY Steak House”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a great restaurant for business meetings, but you can do better for other events. It is a well-established steak house with a good reputation. As with most of these types of places, you order a main plate and a variety of sides. The final bill can be quite steep. The layout is quite open, so it can be a bit noisy when full. The staff is efficient, but at these prices I would expect a little more. The wine list is terrific! If I were meeting clients I might pop in again, but otherwise there are so many choices in midtown for better dining experiences.

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
White Plains, New York
“Come for the Food, Not the Decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had been to Wolfgang's several times in the past, this time got together with an old friend. Since it was freezing out (NY in January = ugh!) we decided to meet at their bar. It's a big room with one long bar - but even on a Tuesday night, every seat was taken, forcing you to hover and wait for someone to finish up. They should really add another bar section, or some tables & chairs. Fortunately two seats opened and we had great martinis, then on to the main dining room. If you're expecting the plushness of a Capital Grill or the club-like feel of a Ruth's Chris, forget it, the room is comfortable but kind of Spartan. We started out with the raw Oysters - they only had one kind, but they tasted great; then we split a Ribeye for Two. It was delicious and done perfectly! The sauteed spinach was good also. I asked for a red wine by the glass and the waiter recommended a California Cab - it was fruity and exactly what I wanted. We finished up by sharing a huge ice-cream sundae. (I then popped a cholesterol-busting Crestor!) On previous occasions, Wolfgang himself comes out and greets every table - he's a charming older man who worked his way up to owning his own place. It wasn't cheap - we each paid about $128, but for a special night out, it was worth it. As others have noted, the room can get loud, especially w tables full of financial-biz types blowing thru their expense accounts - but we had a table for two by their Wine Cellar so we could hear each other perfectly.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Don't believe the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

The steak was just not up to the buttery, velvety delicious standard I expect from a New York steak house, of this pedigree.
We have eaten at the Park avenue place many times, great vaulted ceilings, the buzz and the atmosphere were what one expects from a place like this. But this location just doesn't have it. Relatively small dining room, no architectural interesting detail whatsoever, it felt a bit like a dungeon.
In a word- ordinary. There are steak houses with better steak, better atmosphere, a real New York power buzz, and a more grand setting. If you want a special experience from a visit to a New York steakhouse, this is not the place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Good steak, loud but buzzing atmosephere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Went to Wolfgang's with a couple of friends in early December. I waited at the bar for my friends to arrive. First impressions, very crowded, and very, very loud. However, the bar staff were very attentive and within two minutes I was sipping on a very well made Old Fashioned.

After my friends arrived, we were told our table would be ready in just a few minutes but we ended up having to wait well over thirty. Still- so many people having fun can't all be wrong so we decided to wait it out. We were finally seated towards the interior which was quieter and nicer. The decor is nice and charming throughout.

Now for the steaks- I ordered a ribeye and my friend ordered the sirloin. Unlike in Europe the ribeye came on the bone and looked enormous. I ordered mine medium rare, and although well cooked, I think mine was closer to medium. The steaks had a bit of char on them which I wasn't a fan of. However, the steak itself was lovely and moist and tender, and the accompaniments of peppercorn sauce, onion rings and fries were perfect. I had a taste of my friend's sirloin, and that was very nice too. The portions were more than generous, to say the least, especially given the helpings I am used to in Europe!

All in all, pretty good steak, but I wish they went a little easier on the char.

• Visited December 2012
North Wales, United Kingdom
“WOW WOW WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Ok we were looking for a staekhouse and boy did we find one.We visited on a Monday night at about 8:00pm.We arrived without a reservation and were able to get a table. It was busy and this was our first experience of one of these establishments. As we sat down we saw it was full and most of the customers were male. In fact counting my wife there were only 3 females in the room but she did not feel out of place.The male waiters served with great Gusto and had a manner that must be unique to here which did them and the establishment proud. As to the food, we ordered a Prime NY sirloin steak, Fries and onion rings. The meal was to die for but be warned one portion of fries and onion rings is sufficent for four honest. As for the meat you will not eat a better steak anywhere.All staff from the cloakroom, Reception and waiters were great. Make sure you carry a bit more plastic than usual. YOU WILL REGRET EATING HERE

Visited December 2012