“Double tree - Financial District - terrible place to stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #356 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Double tree - Financial District - terrible place to stay”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This hotel is an embarrassment to the Hilton brand. When I checked in there was no hot water all night. I could not take a shower when I checked in and could not take one when leaving in the morning. The staff was clueless about when the problem would be fixed. The elevators were slow and I had to wait for 20 mins each time to get on the elevators. Not an option to take stairs if you have to go up 20 flights with luggage. Rooms are narrow cramped and dated. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during the emergency plumbing maintenance services that took place during your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your business, and we hope that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Reviewed March 25, 2014

On the whole my stay was fine. But I felt like the hotel was 'skimming' and this left a bad taste. Specifically: I hate paying for wifi, and the room service bill was $47 when I only ate and drank $30 worth of food and drink: $17 of tax, gratuity (not optional) and others. Oh - no bottle opener in the room so I cut my finger opening my beer.

Dear Justin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While there is a charge at our property for in-room WiFi services ($9.95/Day per device), the DoubleTree Financial does offer complimentary WiFi services in both our hotel lobby as well as Antinori, the hotel restaurant. In addition to this, the DoubleTree Financial does extend complimentary WiFi services throughout the entire hotel to all of our Hilton Honors Rewards members (an offer exclusive to the Financial District property). If you are not already a member, I recommend that you enroll, to enjoy all of the benefits that the Hilton Honors Rewards program has to offer. In regards to the In-Room Dinning Services, I will be sure to share your feedback with the Restaurant Management Team. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Terrible stay!! No complimentary water in rooms, rooms are noisy with aircon and extractor fans. The hotel is far from any good locations. They did not have any double adapters and told us to walk 5 blocks to buy 1 for $20. They also had NO HOT WATER in Freezing New York. They said there was a memo in the morning but we checked in late afternoon and never received anything!! They should have advised us when we checked in there would be no hot water the next day!! Cant wait to check out... All they said is they can give us a choc chip cookie!!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Natalie and Dale,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us, due to the unforeseen emergency maintenance services that were being performed. While electrical outlet adapters are not on of the amenities offered by the hotel, we do make an attempt to keep a few on hand to loan out to our guests. Unfortunately, due to high demand, we are sometimes unable to provide this courtesy service. I apologize that we are unable to accommodate this request. While our hotel does not provide complimentary water in our guest rooms, we do provide complimentary bottle water to all members of the Hilton Honors Rewards program, and we very much encourage you to enroll, if you have not already done so. We do appreciate your business, and we strive to provide you and every guest of our hotel with the best possible guest experience. I sincerely hope that you reconsider joining us again on your next visit to New York's Financial District. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We booked two rooms at the Doubletree for four nights via Hotwire. We wanted to stay in the Financial District because of its proximity to our son's college, Pace University. We also enjoy the historical sites and less touristy feel as compared with Times Square. This hotel is very conveniently located across the street from the Bowling Green subway station and a short walk from the Wall Street station. We enjoyed visiting the National Museum of the American Indian, Battery Park, and Trinity Church all very nearby.

Our rooms were compact, like most in NYC, but clean and comfortable. The rooms were pretty quiet, there was some street noise but it is hard to avoid that in downtown NYC. The staff (and especially the bell staff, who we had the most contact with) were all very helpful and friendly. My only complaint would be that the wireless access was unreliable.

Would recommend this location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that we were able to accommodate your visit with your son, attending nearby Pace University. We would also like to thank you for your kind words on our staff. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
California
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed here in November 2013 and had a great time. One of my big pet peeves about visiting New York is how hard it is to find reasonably priced hotels that are clean and in a convenient location. My friends and I stayed here and loved it. It is incredibly clean and home to a very welcoming staff. Although people are still skiddish about staying in the financial district, it really is a great option. The advantages: hotels are a bit cheaper, there are always new restaurants to try, happy hours are quite lively, and its easy to get to a variety of subways.

Right outside of this Doubletree hotel, there are 3 different subway lines within one block which makes it very easy to get to all parts of NYC. When it's too cold to venture out into the city, directly next door to this hotel is a quaint Irish Pub with fantastic service. And... just on the corner is a Duane Reed's which is good for stocking up on snacks or grabbing some needed over the counter medications. If you're really hungry but too tired to go out, you can always try the nice restaurant downstairs. I've stayed in NYC five times and of all my hotels, this is my favorite. I recommend this location for friend or family trips.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Travelbug,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you weren't deterred from the Financial District by "skiddish" opinions and you enjoyed all that the Financial District has to offer! Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have been working in New York for three months and we just moved to a lower Wall Street office location. So I booked at this hotel very excited about the convenience. Previously, had stayed in a number of different NYC hotels in Midtown.

Disappointed relative to the other NYC Hilton options.

PRO: Great location on a small street. Only 2 blocks from my office. Decent breakfast

CON: Very small rooms. They won't let me store a bag over the weekend in-between stays. I am a serial guest --- stay at same hotel for 2 - 5 weeks in a row. Keep a big bag at the hotel and a small carry-on over the weekend. This place will not let you store a bag -- they say it is because of "9-11". I have not encountered another property of any chain that has this same policy. When I asked for an alternative, they suggested a luggage storage location on 36th street -- which is only 45 blocks north!! Crazy. I have cancelled my remaining planned stays at this hotel. Hope they will consider changing this policy.

Dear Mr. Shaw,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and we will use your comments on amenities and offerings as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Herndon, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The staff was warm, friendly, welcoming and accommodating. Superb service. We were greeted with a warm cookie and a smile. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again. We had a great trip and look forward to coming back!

Dear Tammy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for your warm and friendly feedback on our warm and friendly staff. It is our pleasure to be of service! Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!