“Clean Hotel with Great Location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #359 of 467 Hotels in New York City
California
“Clean Hotel with Great Location”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed here in November 2013 and had a great time. One of my big pet peeves about visiting New York is how hard it is to find reasonably priced hotels that are clean and in a convenient location. My friends and I stayed here and loved it. It is incredibly clean and home to a very welcoming staff. Although people are still skiddish about staying in the financial district, it really is a great option. The advantages: hotels are a bit cheaper, there are always new restaurants to try, happy hours are quite lively, and its easy to get to a variety of subways.

Right outside of this Doubletree hotel, there are 3 different subway lines within one block which makes it very easy to get to all parts of NYC. When it's too cold to venture out into the city, directly next door to this hotel is a quaint Irish Pub with fantastic service. And... just on the corner is a Duane Reed's which is good for stocking up on snacks or grabbing some needed over the counter medications. If you're really hungry but too tired to go out, you can always try the nice restaurant downstairs. I've stayed in NYC five times and of all my hotels, this is my favorite. I recommend this location for friend or family trips.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Travelbug,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you weren't deterred from the Financial District by "skiddish" opinions and you enjoyed all that the Financial District has to offer! Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have been working in New York for three months and we just moved to a lower Wall Street office location. So I booked at this hotel very excited about the convenience. Previously, had stayed in a number of different NYC hotels in Midtown.

Disappointed relative to the other NYC Hilton options.

PRO: Great location on a small street. Only 2 blocks from my office. Decent breakfast

CON: Very small rooms. They won't let me store a bag over the weekend in-between stays. I am a serial guest --- stay at same hotel for 2 - 5 weeks in a row. Keep a big bag at the hotel and a small carry-on over the weekend. This place will not let you store a bag -- they say it is because of "9-11". I have not encountered another property of any chain that has this same policy. When I asked for an alternative, they suggested a luggage storage location on 36th street -- which is only 45 blocks north!! Crazy. I have cancelled my remaining planned stays at this hotel. Hope they will consider changing this policy.

Dear Mr. Shaw,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and we will use your comments on amenities and offerings as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Herndon, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The staff was warm, friendly, welcoming and accommodating. Superb service. We were greeted with a warm cookie and a smile. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again. We had a great trip and look forward to coming back!

Dear Tammy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for your warm and friendly feedback on our warm and friendly staff. It is our pleasure to be of service! Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Highlands, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent . We walked to many of the places we wanted to visit . The value was great...especially in NYC.... for such a nice hotel. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat . The warm cookies upon arrival were a nice touch and made a great midnight snack.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad that you were able to enjoy our locale as well as our warm, delicious, cookies on your most recent visit to the Financial District. We look forward to having you stay with us again! Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial and have a great day!
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 18, 2014

When I booked my room I was told that my rate included unlimited in/out privileges for valet parking, a free breakfast for children under 16 years old, my room would be quiet and not near an elevator, and that I would receive extra towels and stay on a Hilton Honors floor - absolutely none of which was accurate

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to apologize for the inaccurate information that was extended to you and any disruption to your trip that this may have caused you. Unfortunately, the Icon Parking lot that we refer our guests to does not extend in and out privileges, breakfast is available complimentary to children 12 and under, and while we strive to assign every Hilton Honors member to a Hilton Honors floor, this is determined by and based upon availability. I apologize that your request for extra towels had not been honored, and should you return to our property, we will see to it that all of your amenity requests are honored in a timely fashion. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed this past weekend (March 14-15) at this hotel in the financial district. Arrived at about 8:00 pm on a Friday, received the cookie as promised, which was great. Check in smooth and waited for slow elevators. Staff is attune to elevator slowness and saw that I had waited a while and reversed an elevator from down to up, just for me.

Got up to the room which was functional. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The bathroom is very compact. Nicely finished, but no room to put any toiletries as the one shelf contains the normal items like shampoo and conditioner. There were only two glasses in the room (2107) and both were made out of glass. Since there is no shelf space in the bathroom, I placed the glass on the back of the toilet. Well, that turned out to be a big mistake. What I did not realize is that the toilet in this room was not fully attached to the floor. Therefore, when the toilet was used, everything on the back of the toilet was thrown to the floor. The glass broke, and I had to deal with shards of glass on the floor. I did not have time to tell them at the front desk, but suggest that this problem be repaired before someone is hurt.

Went to breakfast in the first floor restaurant, which is not owned by the hotel, but if you look at the website, you would never know that. The buffet and the menu are limited. I ended up with the buffet, which had eggs, sausage (which was terrible) bacon, potatoes and pancakes or waffles. There were two waiters who were also terrible, never came back to the table after I arrived and stood by the bar watching television. Someone who had a suit and tie on who looked like a manager saw my dishes on my table after I finished uncleared, and looked at them and kept going. Really bad service, better off leaving hotel and going to the nearby Burger King. Don't eat here.

Finally, I asked about an early cab on Saturday night, and was told to come down and give the doormen 15 minutes to hail one. I did come down 15 minutes early, and was told to walk up the street and try and find one. In other words, "good luck!"

The room was good, but would not stay here again, Also, financial district is like a ghost town on weekends, a long way from the hub bub of New York.

Double tree, please bolt the toilet down!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank banker1225
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your honest input on guestroom functionality and breakfast services and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton in NYC, Financial District (8 Stone St) from 8th of March till 15th of March. During my stay, I have been assigned a room right across from the lifts. The quality of the room was quite average - the ceiling in the bathroom was pealing, the wall paper was coming off in the bathroom and the bedlinen on more than one occassion was dirty and ripped in several spots. The worst thing that has happened was on the last day of my stay when I arrived back to the hotel - several of my personal items have been missing. I have asked to speak to the hotel manager and on two occassions have ended up speaking to the receptionist. Maybe I am not worthy of hotel manager's time or the theft is not a reason enough to see a client. After waiting for over a half an hour for someone to show up, the receptionist and security guy have rocked up. The security guy has taken some notes on what was missing from the room and has suggested that it may just be that the store I have purchased the stuff hasn't packed these items. Out of 4 items missing, 2 were purchased as separate items in separate stores. The other two items arrived with me in a suitcase. After clarifying that, they have advised me that they will investigate the matter and get back to me. All I have received is an email stating how they will contact general management to discuss the situation and they will advise me of the outcome. No email or phone call and it has been 3 days. If you are reading this, here is a hint - there is a camera in the hallway which could give you exactly the view of who has accessed my room while I was away. The camera is positioned right before the entrance into the lift and it gives you a view of my door and the lift across the road.

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to extend our apologies on behalf of the hotel for the issues that you have reported. I would like to assure that these matters are currently being handled by the DoubleTree Financial District Management Team, with the greatest of priority. Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter and have a wonderful day!