DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #367 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I love this hotel, location and amenities. This is the top choice for my mother and I when she comes into town as it is right near where I work. Warm cookie at check in- how can you say no. The only problems we had this time around were with the room and with the free breakfast. I found stains on the pillow cases and on the duvet when we first got there. I pointed them out and when we kept coming up after our room was cleaned - stains were still on duvet and the pillows were just moved so I wouldn't see the stains. That worried me as I wondered what else was not properly cleaned. The breakfast in the mornings was under staffed. If it is going to be "wait for your seating" this place needed more staff as their staff were also taking room service orders up and there were times when there was no help in the dining room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased that we are able to be your primary choice to host your mother when she is in town visiting you! I apologize for the state of the linens and will report this matter to our Housekeeping Manager. You will be pleased to know that the hotel restaurant, Antinori, has recently increased it staffing for the morning breakfast buffet! Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial to accommodate your mother’s visits to New York City and have a great day!

8 Stone St
212-480-9100
joshua.daly@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,601)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here one year ago, after the Superstorm, and could hear generator trucks roaring outside the hotel day and night.

This year the trucks are gone, but there was plenty of interior noise through the connecting door to our room, plus through the hallway door.

Shower has a good rate of flow, but it floods the bathroom. Elevators can be slow. I think we'll look elsewhere for a future stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Human44,

I am very sorry for any noise disturbance that caused you any level of inconvenience while staying at our property. Unfortunately, during peak periods our elevator wait time can be extended, and I do apologize for this as well. Should you reconsider, and decide to stay with us again in the future, please reach out to me with your itinerary details and I will be sure to place you in the quietest room available on a low floor. Thank you for taking the time to write a response and have a great day!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed @ Double Tree for a week on business. The appearance and staff were great. As well as location. But, be prepared to hear lots of noise from other guests and outside. The windows are old and cheap and wind blows through them making it difficult to warm the room. The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. I knew it would be smaller than normal since it's New York but this was ridiculously small. The other guests were extremely loud and I heard every move they made. The hallway on the floor was very narrow causing even more noise. My issues are with the hotel itself and not the staff. The staff were really nice and assisted with directions and other questions we had about getting around New York. If you are going to stay here during a business trip this may not be the best place due to the noise. I may have been able to tolerate it better if it was more of a personal/leisure trip and didn't have to be up at 5:30 every morning. I also found it odd that there was not a small refrigerator in the room for drinks. Overall, it wasn't a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Jeannie S

Dear Jeannie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Unfortunately, due to our hotel’s location (Financial District, Downtown, New York) space can be limited; this is why our hallways may appear narrow, guest rooms may be within close proximity to one another, and refrigerators are not available in the guest rooms. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused your recent business trip, as well as any noise disturbance created by neighboring guests. I would recommend reserving one of our Jr. Executive Suites for any future bookings, providing you with twice the space and twice the privacy. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

OK, this seems trivial but I'm going to start by saying I'm not a cookie eater, but this hotel brags about giving guests a "warm cookie" upon check in. Neither Kadeem or Laciana gave us a cookie when we checked in. I asked when I saw other check-ins with them, and ended up going to pick them up after checking in, just on prinicple. Now to the more annoying issues. Checked in 12/25, checked out 12/27. NO HOT WATER 12/26 or 12/27. This was after spending the day out in the city with temperatures in the 20s and 30s. Finally reached Kamesha, Supervisor on 12/27. She was kind enough to comp us one night to compensate for the inconvenience. Kamesha was professional and customer oriented. The aforementioned staff made no effort, however, did repeatedly state that since the room was booked through a "third-party, hotwire.com and not directly with the hotel", there wasn't anything they could do. The room was ridiculously small, bed was relatively comfortable but took up 90% of the room. Bathroom only had a walk in shower. Good luck figuring out which way to turn the knobs for hot water--especially when there isn't any. In the past few months, I've stayed at Le Parker Meridien, The Time Hotel in Times Square, and The Milennium Hilton, all 4 star hotels. They are all far superior to the Doubletree Hilton on Stone St in the financial district. I don't know how this could be rated 4 stars, it's NOT accurate. Don't stay here if you want anything more than a place to crash, it's barebones, at best!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RJ R

Dear RJ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that a cookie was not extended to you at the time of your check in; it is the standard of DoubleTree Hotels to provide a warm, chocolate chip and walnut, cookie at the time of check in, and I apologize that this was not done in a timely manner. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen emergency plumbing maintenance repairs, hot water was temporarily unavailable during your stay. I am glad that Kameisha, our Assistant Front Office Manager, was able to extend a full night’s compensation for this inconvenience. While over ninety percent of our rooms do contain walk in showers, we do have a small number of rooms that contain a full bathtub. Should you plan to return to our hotel, please, contact me and I will see that you are assigned a room that contains a bathtub. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial and have a great day!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed here over Christmas for a couple of nights because they offered a great rate (I guess people don't want to stay in FiDi for the holidays). I had a longish wait to check in because (they said) the computer had crashed and needed to be rebooted. One of the receptionists was open and was telling everyone in line ahead of me that they were being located to another hotel in another neighborhood due to "plumbing problems". Eek. I got lucky somehow, and when it was my turn I was able to check into a room (which had no plumbing problems).

The room itself was fine... for the most part the hotel is very comfortable. They gave me free wifi and it worked very well. The furniture and bed were comfy enough, the bedding seemed very plush. The shower was good but on the small side (maybe 24" wide, a little awkward). People complain about the elevators and there are definitely times when it is slow. But I've never had a really bad wait, probably because I don't use the hotel on business and am not using "rush hour" elevators.

Overall for the price I paid I was quite pleased.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Sarah,

I am very glad that you were pleased with your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The hotel room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel was too far away from my business activities for the weekend. The restaurant had good food. It was cooked to order, so don't be in a rush to eat. The staff were all friendly. A lot of cold air came through the window. It was okay for two nights.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Serenesings,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I am sorry that we were not more conveniently located to your scheduled affairs. Please, note, that we are conveniently located with blocks of several major subway lines (1,2,3,4,5,J,Z,&R), as well as multiple bus lines (some free) and ferries (also, some free), connecting you virtually to anywhere in New York that you may need to go, and are Concierge Services can also make alternative transportation arrangements, upon request. I hope that you join us again on your next visit to New York and take advantage of these services. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel. It's in a good location, very close to several subway lines which was important. The hotel is quite narrow and the rooms aren't particularly big, but it is NYC so that wasn't a big deal. The elevators are quite slow, so know that going in. You can walk to a few nice restaurants around the corner and there's a Starbuck's at the corner. Unlike other reveiwers, I didn't have any problems with water pressure and I thought the bathrooms were modern.

Room Tip: If you aren't up too high, you can walk the stairs instead of waiting on the elevator