“Fantastic staff in a location close to many subways”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #361 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ankeny, Iowa
“Fantastic staff in a location close to many subways”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. The staff greeted us warmly each time we came into contact. The room was small, but extremely comfortable and clean. Very enjoyable. We got a fantastic price on Priceline and had a great experience. The staff gave us an early check in and had the air conditioning so that the room was very cool, which was really nice when we had been sweating in the cab all the way from the airport.

The subways in the area were not running on the weekend - so beware if you want to venture out! Perhaps this is only an issue for the time being due to service on the stations, but it was quite inconvenient. However, the location so close to Battery Park is fantastic and (during the week) the subway stations are very close and convenient.

Someone threw up outside our door on the first night, so when we opened the door the next morning, we nearly stepped into it. The staff had already seen it and were starting to clean it up. However, it took a few calls to get them to clean the doorstop...

Skip the hotel restaurant. We had dinner there one night because we were so tired and didn't want to travel far (not many good restaurants in the area). The service was terrible, even with only only two tables of guests (two people each) and about 2-3 staff members in the dining room. The food took forever to be served and my water didn't even get refilled. The food didn't taste good at all and they charged us more for the meal than what the menu had said. We talked to the server about the menu price and he disagreed. We didn't want to grab a menu and argue, so we just paid.

Room Tip: There are about 44 floors and the elevators are slow! Be prepared to take awhile if you're on a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The room was small but, but if you are alone, travelling for business, it will be fine. The bed was king size and very comfortable comfortable. There isn't much shelf space in the bathroom, but the shower was perfect.

The staff are very friendly. The bell hops would tell me "Good Morning" each morning. In the evenings, they would ask my how my day went. They promptly hailed a cab when I needed one. They also gave me directions without hesitation when I asked. For a small town Texan girl in NYC by herself for the first time, the bell hops made me feel right at home.

I didn't really care for the restaurant or the room service. The food wasn't all that great. The steaks were overcooked and the salads were always warm. Dessert was wonderful though!

The elevators are very, very, very slow. Apparently, they are working on them. One morning, I waited fifteen minutes for an elevator. I gave up and took nineteen flights of stairs down. Thank goodness I wasn't on the 44th floor!

Two tips: 1) Get a corner room! They are somewhat quiet. There are some rooms that are right across from the elevators. I honestly don't know how those people slept at night! 2) Get a white noise app on your phone. ;) You can hear everything that's going on in the hallway as well as in the room next to you. Luckily, I had a corner room, so I only had someone on one side of my room.

Room Tip: Get a corner room. They seem to be quieter. Get a room on the lower levels in case you have to tak...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HGDT, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear ashleyw889,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor community. It is our goal to provide a warm and welcoming environment to all our guests, and to make our guests feel home away from home; we are delighted to earn 5 stars from you on our service and room cleanliness.

I apologize for the waiting time for the elevators and I regret to learn that the qualify of food at the restaurant did not meet your expectations. We will address the issues to the appropriate departments.

Should travel bring you to New York in the near future, I hope our hotel will be your top choice again.
Reading, England
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The room was small but when it comes to Manhattan it's exactly what to expect. The bed was king size and extremely comfortable, and the amenities such as the tv and the coffee machine were splendid. The bathroom shower was fantastic and the room was nicely cleaned every day.

The location puts you right in the heart of the financial district a stones throw away from Wall Street and battery park. Even better is the access to the Staten Island ferry which is 5 mins walk away (do it, it's free!)

The staff are attentive and very friendly especially the bell hops and the warm cookie you receive on checking in is am absolute delight.

2 down sides. Breakfast was ridiculously expensive ($18 each plus tax) and the lifts are very slow to arrive. Longest I had to wait was 8 minutes. I would have walked but was on the 40th floor!

But it is well worth the stay, and great value for money.

Room Tip: Try to get a low floor at the back of the hotel, or you'll be looking into an office block, and...
Dear F1Pete,

It is very rewarding to earn 5 stars from you on tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind comments towards our staff, they will be so happy to read your great compliments. Your feedback is very motivational for us to continuously provide exceptional service. We are glad you found value in your stay, and we look forward to your next visit.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this Double Tree in the Financial District. As someone who frequents New York City and is aware of comparable hotels, the rooms and location are fabulous. While it is down at the tip of Manhattan, there are several subways on the doorstep that you can take to anywhere in the city. The rooms are a nice size and if you are up high enough you'll have a great view. The one downside were the 3 elevators servicing 44 floors, which could sometimes result in long wait times, but the buildings are so old down there that there is likely little that can be done. The front desk staff were great and while I did not try out the restaurant on the first floor, it looked nice enough.
If you are looking to explore NYC, this is a cost effective way to do so. It's off the beaten path from Time Square and Central Park but in my opinion you are better off and can take a subway up there in no time. Stone street has so many great restaurants, the Staten Island Ferry and Battery Park are steps away, and you'll see one of the older parts of Manhattan that are steeped in so much history. I highly recommend the hotel and the area.

Room Tip: A higher floor will have great views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mnree7
Dear Mnree7,

Thank you very much for recommending our hotel. Being called a top notch hotel in lower Manhattan is an outstanding compliment. We would love to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you for your time and business. Take care!
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in other doubletree and Hilton in the NYC area and they were much better than this one. The rooms and bathrooms were really small which I understand considering its located in NYC, However I don't think I will be coming back here. The breakfast was very basic, I was surprised at the fact that they had very little selection 2 out 3 hot items were pork which I don't eat. I've had better complimentary breakfast in NYC and didnt have to back $20 per head, so I am a little dissapointed. The walk to battery park was a breeze, really enjoyed the short walk and the chocolate chip cookies were good, other than that everything else was mediocre.

• Stayed June 2013
The Hague
Reviewed June 27, 2013

With several metro stations within walk distance a very good location to start your trips for all the sights you want to visit, the Charging Bull around the corner, Wall street and the Freedom tower within walking distance.
Don't forget to enjoy Battery park "nice view on Statue of Liberty" we spent here every day of our visit some time in the afternoon to load our batteries for the evening.
Room is not too big but very comfortable with very good beds.
And the gentlemen mentioned above are always willing to assist you, so don't hesitate to ask them for directions, restaurants etcetera... .

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Could not have asked for anything better in a Motel or in the staff. Staff was superb. Every time we came out of the motel or went in the motel the bell boys were so very friendly and informative. When we would ask how to get anywhere they knew and were right on the money. We had asked a New York Police officer once and he said he couldn't help us, but your staff was always willing to help. Barry and 2 others were wonderful. Staff was young college age men, but they were very professional and friendly. Parking was too expensive though.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton