“perfectly fine hotel in a usually quiet part of Manhattan”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #362 of 468 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“perfectly fine hotel in a usually quiet part of Manhattan”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently completed a two night stay at the Doubletree in the Financial District.

My first impression of the hotel is that it's an incredibly narrow, very tall building (and it was built in what used to be a location of a parking garage). I vaguely remember the bell guy saying there are just under 400 rooms in the place, which makes sense as there are 44 floors or so. My particular room was on the 32nd floor, and some of the various tall buildings around me topped out just above my floor and some other kept on going up. My room had a lovely view of the rapidly-being-completed Freedom Tower, which replaces the World Trade Center. Wall Street is only a few (2 or 3?) blocks away, but outside of business hours you wouldn't know it because the area gets completely quiet at that point.

The actual room was impressively small (which makes sense, there's a number of rooms to pack in on each floor), but it certainly felt cozy. I was able to easily adjust the temperature via the wall controls and leave a fan on all night (I love to have circulating air and white noise while I sleep), and the windows, even up on the 32nd floor, opened a few inches to let in very fresh air during the day.

In the room there's a cabinet in which you'll be able to hang clothes, there's also a room safe in there, an ironing board and iron, plus a luggage rack. The flat panel TV is above a smaller cabinet with dresser drawers. There's an old fashioned cable TV box underneath the TV, but I didn't turn it on to see which channels were available. I used Internet (available via WiFi) instead, which worked relatively well for my business needs. I didn't see an Ethernet connection available in the room.

In the tiny bathroom I found full size towels under the sink, a bathmat rolled up in the shower. I didn't have any problems with the hot water, once I figured out how to use the shower dial.

Overall I was pretty happy with the room. The only negatives I could see was that the furniture was a wee bit dinged up (which makes sense, since the room is so small, it's easy to accidentally bang or scratch surfaces while going in and out of there) and the bathroom vent could have used a good dusting. I also couldn't get a decent cell phone reception, at least on the Sprint Network, but that might just have had to do with the hotel's location at the extreme south end of Manhattan.

The downstairs "Eightstone" restaurant is a bit overpriced (lunch will be priced between 9 & 15 p.p.; dinner between 8 & 25), but the prices actually seemed somewhat in line with what one would expect to pay in the area. And if you are in the mood for something else, there's a number of low key restaurants across the street, including an "Asian Fusion" restaurant (serving sushi & Thai food), a pizza kitchen and even a steakhouse.

There's a set of computers on the first floor from which you can surf the net or print out your boarding passes (I am pretty certain the machines are free). You can also easily print out documents from anywhere in the hotel to the free printer downstairs (simply e-mail the documents to a "printspots" e-mail address and you get a release code e-mailed back to you). Useful!

If you can score yourself a decent package rate, it turns out this hotel is a great place to base oneself as it's much quieter when business isn't happening and it's close to a number of sites one would want to visit, easy to get to the subway and to the ferries that go all over the place (I did a ~10 minute walk to a ferry which took me to the park on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge in about 3 - 4 minutes for a total cost of $4). The Heliport is a easy 5-10 minute walk from the hotel as well, where I saw a line of tourists waiting to get a scenic ride from the many helicopters that utilize this waterside pier. There's a few subway stops in a short walking distance, including the Bowling Green subway station about a block or two away as well.

Would I stay here again? Most likely yes, as it certainly beats the loud noise and craziness of Times Square. The front desk staff were universally nice to me and friendly, a nice change of pace from the usual snooty or too-busy-to-be-bothered staff at other hotels.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MichaelInSF
HGDT, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear MichaelInSF,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a detailed review with the tripadvisor community. As you know, space is a challenge being located in NYC, but we are glad that you were overall happy with our room and amenities. One of our top priorities is to provide excellent customer service and it makes us very happy to see that you were pleased with our front desk staff.

We look forward to you next visit, it was our pleasure to be at your service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jerusalem
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Checked in on the 27. Tried to take a shower but there where no hot water. Went to eat and walked for a while. Returned. No hot water. The manager said that they are trying to fix it. Couldnt take a shower ( water where freezing). The next morning-same situation. In the evening-same, and also- phone did not work. They tried to fix it but failed. While complaining ( no hot water for more than 36 hours!!!) people were checking in, and they did not tell them anything. That is outrageous!
But thet's not the end of it.
In the morning-no hot water (48 hours) no phone, and-that's the best- no elevators. We where on the 31 floor.
I can continue, but think it is enough.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Boaz65
Dear Boaz65,

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you had with us last week. We experienced a series of unfortunate difficulties with a water valve which caused sporadic periods of not producing enough hot water. This event culminated in a water pipe bursting early Friday, March 29.

The water issue was unforeseen and we took immediate action to remedy the problem. The pipe and water valve have been replaced as of Friday afternoon and the hotel is operating normally once again.

From my understanding, we offered you and your family relocation to another hotel and compensated you for the inconvenience. Our team has worked extremely hard to recover from this unfortunate situation, and we apologize for not meeting your expectations in this particular case.

Should you have any additional concerns, please fell free to contact the hotel directly at 212-480-9100 and ask to speak to any front office manager or supervisor on duty, and they will be more than happy to assist you.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed March 29, 2013

What a great hotel. A lot to do around the hotel and easy acess to the Subway. Checked in and was amazed we got an early check in on a Sunday morning. Views were great and the staff was always helpful with every request and question. really wanted to try the roof top bar was close due to rain. This was during the tornados in the Queens area but still had a great stay in a very clean room that had everything we needed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HGDT, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear JAMES_CMH,

We are very excited to read the awesome review title you gave us! Our team strives to provide top notch customer service and to ensure each and every guest feels welcomed and cared for while staying with us. Thank you for your excellent review. We hope to wow you again in the future!
Salida, California
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I am visiting NYC for my birthday next week and booked this hotel. I am very nervous about my stay because I received terrible customer service while calling to confirm my stay. I booked this hotel via hotwire.com like I normally do. I always call and confirm my stay at all hotels I book. I have never had any problems.

When calling the Doubletree I spoke to two different customer service representatives who were extremely rude and mean. To top it off, they never answered any of my questions. I will be traveling there next Thursday, April 4, 2013 and am feeling pretty anxious especially because I am coming all the way from California. First impression is everything and unfortunately, my first impression was a bad one. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come. :(

-Cathrina

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathrina86
Dear Cathrina86,

I am very concerned about the unsatisfactory experience you had with confirming your stay. Certainly the level of service and friendliness you experienced is not typical, and I am confident that when you arrive, you will be pleasantly surprised with the high service standards we uphold at the Doubletree.

Please contact the hotel directly at 212-480-9100 and ask to speak to any front office manager or supervisor on duty and they will be more than happy to assist you with any any questions or concerns you may have.

We look forward to welcoming you!
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel tucked away in a not so great part of the FD. The rooms were small but up to date. The BRs were well appointed. Common areas were cramped. Customer service was outstanding. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
HGDT, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear BenzBoy007,

It makes us very proud to have our guest service called outstanding, and we are extremely happy to see that you will stay with us again. Our goal is to provide a warm and welcoming environment to all our guests, and it was our pleasure to be at your service. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice now and would recommend it for either business or pleasure. The one minor complaint is the wait time for the elevators at certain times of the day. The rooms are nice but small and teh staff is very helful. I would also recommend Eightstone - try the chicken with truffle fries.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HGDT, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear MrJefe123,

Thank you very much for being a loyal repeat guest. We truly appreciate you recommending our hotel and restaurant to the tripadvisor community. It has been a pleasure and we look forward to your next visit. Have a wonderful day.
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night in a room on the 27th floor at the end of our stay in New York. The hotel itself was a little hard to find, as Stone Street is not very clearly marked. There is a Whitehall Street subway stop at one end of Stone Street, but you cannot see the hotel until you are right on it, as it is located tucked away in the middle of a side street off of Broadway in the Financial District. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court is at one end of Stone Street and Bowling Green park is very close by, so both can be used as landmarks. We had stayed at a much smaller hotel on the Upper West side for a few days before this, so the larger size of this room was a *welcome* change for us! The room was very nice - well-outfitted and stylish - and the bed was very comfortable. Our only issue was that we were given a handicap-accessible room, which we neither needed nor asked for, and showering was a bit of an issue, as water got all over the bathroom floor. The elevators were not a big problem for us, as we only used them a half dozen times during our entire stay. The staff was *very* polite and accommodating, from the check-in clerks to the doormen. The lobby is on the second floor, but the doormen are very helpful in advising arriving guests of this fact. Their welcome cookies were delicious. Twice we were given good detailed maps and directions to find desired locations in the area. There is a *wonderful* pastry shop fairly nearby called The Financier Patisserie, which we highly recommend. There are some restaurants nearby - including Starbucks and Chipotle - and the WTC Memorial is about 10-minute walk away. It is not a bad hotel for visitors to the Financial District, but there are limited trains going uptown further into Manhattan, so it may not be the most desirable hotel for the average NY visitor. Should we find ourselves in the Financial District again, however, we would certainly consider staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a city view are more expensive than rooms without one. Rooms without a city view still h...