“Friendly Staff, decent accommodations for a NYC hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #364 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“Friendly Staff, decent accommodations for a NYC hotel”
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here while in town for a concert at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. Hotel was centric to the MTA going to Brooklyn as well as express trains moving up the island. The location was good, value for the room was excellent. The room was atad small, but it met our needs, the decor was current. The staff at the hotel was surprisingly friendly, from the check in to the waitstaff, everyone spoke and was always willing to assist or offer a salutation. I will admit the elevators were problematic, but the hotel is but so wide ans tall, so elevator space is at a premium. We packed a little patience and enjoyed our stay

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HGDT, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear bigbdc38,
Thank you taking the time to share your feedback. Our staff members are very happy to know that you enjoyed stay with us. We would love to have you stay with us again in the near future.
We appreciate your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boxford, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am a frequent traveller to NYC and stay in many of the hotels in downtown Manhattan - including this place many times in the past. I'm done with this place now though. Rooms are fine,but v small and dark, but newer. However, the building is approx 40 stories and they do not have enough elevators to handle the volume of people. You can FREQUENTLY wait 15 min (no exaggeration) just to get in the elevator. I've chosen to overlook this in the past despite the incessant complaints of my colleagues. Today I waited 17 min and then hiked down 6 flights of stairs w/ my luggage. On top of that, the restaurant is WAY too small for the size of the hotel AND no hot water at all for showers today or yesterday. Apparently, if there is any volume of people in this place, they can't handle it at all.
I mentioned this to the front desk but all they gave me was a 'sorry'. They no free point for the stay, no discount off of the $329/night room rate (per-tax).
Plenty of other options downtown - stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David V
HGDT, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear David V,

Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry about the issues you experienced during your stay. The list of issues you mentioned have been addressed to the appropriate department, we are doing everything we can to fix these issues. We hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Oak Park, IL
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was in New York for a two-day meeting in the Financial District, and the organization I am associated with booked rooms here. My husband came out to meet me for the weekend (making this a combination business and "couple" trip), so we decided to just stay here for the rest of our time in New York. This is a great area to stay in--easy access to the Staten Island Ferry, for instance, and a subway entrance on the corner of Stone and Whitehall. The staff members here are terrific, helpful, and very accommodating.
The first room we were assigned was very small; I'd spent the first night there, and I had a very noisy neighbor, not the fault of the hotel. I'd expected that once my husband arrived that we'd still be in the same room, but I made a request at the front desk, and the staff member was able to move us to a slightly larger room. This made a big difference in the quality of our stay, and the room worked much better for us than the first would have (and it even had a little "slip" of a water view between the buildings). The restaurant is also very good, with equally helpful and attentive staff.
While we bemoaned the disappearance of washcloths--not replaced after the first day--this is a relatively minor complaint! The next time, I will try to make note of the names of people who were especially helpful (it likely will be a long list) so that I can update my Trip Advisor review.

Dear Grmpmbl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very glad that you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Arrived after flight from the UK and a hair-raising trip from JFK; efficient check-in. Room was a little on the small side (for US standards but probably fair by New York standards). Being on the 41st floor made up for it though; the room looked directly over neighbouring buildings but could also see the river which was nice. Well located hotel - very easy to World Trade Center, Battery park for ferries to the statue of liberty and a lovely walk along the Hudson. I had dinner in the hotel the first night - nothing special, would recommend the neighbouring Irish Pub instead for better food and atmosphere, but breakfast was good. The only downside of being so high up was the long wait for the lift - only 3; not many rooms per floor but with 40+ floors the wait was often 5mins or more. Room was quiet but rather dated - would benefit from a facelift. Having said that, I'd stay here again give its location.

Room Tip: Try to get a view - but aim for as high as possible
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear YST_33,

Thank you for your time writing reviews about your recent stay with us. We are very glad to know that you like the location of the hotel and river view from the guest room. We look forward to seeing you again.
Southport, CT
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed one night on business and were given a lovely efficiently proportioned room on the 42nd floor. Our view included the new One World Trade Center under construction. The room was contemporary and very clean. The location was most convenient for business. Anthony at the front desk, an extraordinarily helpful and knowledgeable gentleman, recommended dinner at the Italian restaurant Ancora, essentially across the street, and this was superb. We would be happy to stay here again!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms may have great views of the World Trade Center
Dear NewtoCT,

Thank you very much for your time sharing your comments. We are very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments have been shared with entire team members. We appreciate your time and business. We look forward to seeing you again.
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel was quite convenient for my purposes. More than that, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the view was wonderful, the room, although small (hey, It's New York) did not feel claustrophobic, like other hotels. The room was very quite, and nicely appointed. The bed was very comfortable, and pillows were much better than I'd expect at a hotel.
Now, the real surprise was the restaurant. This is the first time that I have ever felt that the restaurant was reasonable, in all aspects. The selection was good, the prices were more than fair, and the service and staff were excellent.
Overall, I would have to say that this was one of the best hotel experiences that I have in New York City. I highly recommend this hotel, and will certainly stay here, next time I have to stay in the financial district.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevators, or you'll right in front of them
Dear mikewPVD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are very glad to know that you liked the bed and pillows. Your comments have been shared with hotel team members. We are pleased that our accommodation and service exceeded your expectation. We hope to see you again in the near future.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Visited with partner during early September. US Open + NY Fashion Night Out + Labour Day meant ridiculously high prices for all central properties thus decided to stay at the Financial District despite being chiefly on a pleasure trip. Was not disappointed. Very close to the South Ferry point where one can take the free ferry to Staten Island with small but adequate views of Ellis Island( Statue of Liberty).

The Hotel is chiefly a tall building with the reception at the Second Floor. Decent rooms, and the quality that can be expected from a Doubletree property. There is an excellent breakfast joint right opposite if the same is not a part of your room package. Opens at 6 and serves excellent Muffins, Sandwiches, French Toasts, Pan Cakes et al. Quite budgeted. Eating options around include plenty of places just a few meters away and one would find multiple subway connections to lead you anywhere in New York provided travelling in subways is your thing.

TIP: The closest subways do not have escalators. Find out which stations provide a step free access before hand if you have plenty of luggage. I still don't know else would have mentioned here. If you have far too much luggage, I suggest a cab from the airport. I believe it costs about $ 40-50.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: As long as you are on a higher floor, which about 70% of guests will be, traffic sounds will not be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear perkydoc,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to know that you liked the breakfast and enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.