DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #355 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Ok for Manhattan...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

The teeny-tiny rooms at this hotel are only acceptable because you are in Manhattan. Even then, be wary of the price. They dare to charge in the upper half of 3 digits at times and there is no set of circumstances under which the hotel is worth that kind of money. That said, for NO MORE THAN a couple hundred bucks per night, this is a nice option if you want to be in the Financial District. It is basically 2 steps from an accessible and convenient subway stop that will get you almost everywhere good in NYC. There is close access to lots of restaurants and eateries (including delivery) to keep you from wasting money on surcharged hotel amenities. By far the stand out feature of this hotel is the on demand cable. That almost makes up for surcharged wifi and no in-room fridge.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank brlukath
DPPNewYork, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Brlukath,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service to our guest and feedback such as yours is crucial to our success.
Should you give us another try in the future we would like to recommend reserving one of our suites as they are much larger than standard rooms, ensuring your stay is more comfortable.
Once again, thank you and we look forward to having you stay with us again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

As fellow travellers you know that the hotel is just a place to lay your head down. That being said, I was rather surprised at how clean, neat, and large the rooms were. The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed my stay. I was in NYC for a week long training that happened to be right around the corner from the hotel. The location was great as well. Really close to everything. I would highly recommend staying here if your travel calls for NYC. The only negative side is that there are only 3 elevators servicing 40+ floors. This means that you will have to wait a very long time for an elevator and a lot of the times they are packed when they do arrive necessitating a longer wait for another elevator. Suggestion would be to get a room on a lower level so that you can take the stairs. Everything else was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear AggieTravels357,

Thank you so much for posting a review for our hotel. We are aware of the elevator wait during rush hour times and do apologize you had to wait for long periods of time. Your review and compliments will be forwarded to our Housekeeping staff as well as Front Office staff as they truly are awesome and always do go above and beyond for our guest. Again, thank you very much and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Godalming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a pretty good hotel. Excellent location for the financial district, comfortable & clean rooms (although they're pretty small) and a pretty decent, but small, gym. I have two main issues with this hotel - the breakfast is distinctly average and there are not enough lifts for the number of floors/rooms. You may end up waiting 10+ minutes in the morning, or walking down 20-30 floor... Having said that, I'll probably stay there when I'm next in NYC for the points!

Room Tip: Pick a low floor!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
DPPNewYork, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Arron L,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Our elevators are our biggest challenge but we are brainstorming and trying to find solutions to ensure a comfortable stay for our guest. We are happy to hear that you will stay with us again. Please contact me directly next time you are in town and I will make sure you receive a room on a low floor.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I recently stayed for ten days and was very happy with the hotel. Great room...and especially bed!.Staff friendly and helpful.Close to 3 subway stations so very convenient for transport. I certainly dont think it is too far from NYs major sights...had no problem at all.Stone St and vicinity an interesting historic area. Also,extremely quiet at night.....sleep never disturbed by noise.I will certainly stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
DPPNewYork, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear Donlla,

I am happy to read you enjoyed our location and that you were not bothered by the city noises. Thank you for sharing your comments with fellow travelers, and we hope to welcome you back again soon. :)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

The location may be good, but it's not worth the stay. The rooms are tiny. They asked if I wanted a room high or low so I asked for one as low they can go and the front desk clerk have me one on the 11th floor?!

The room was right next to the elevator (literally 3 feet away). It appears that all the rooms are like that. The AC constantly blows no matter what you set the temperature at.

Also the cookie was burnt and hard as a rock...

Try again DoubleTree.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank CrabbyKing93
KTPM, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for the comments. Our guestrooms are 250 sq. ft. and are on par with the average size for a NYC hotel. The Hotel has guestrooms that go to the 44th floor and the lowest floor available when this guest checked in was on the 11th floor. We sent one of our property engineers up to this room to check out the A/C unit and make the necessary fixes while the guest was still in-house. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our staff is always ready to respond to our guests concerns.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Milford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

We recently stayed here so that husband could participate in the Five Boro Bike Tour. We booked several months in advance for a fairly cheap rate. It is located on Stone Street, which is very small and runs between Broadway and Whitehall at the very end. Our first cab driver couldn't find it. When we finally got there, we were so pleasantly surprised I don't know where to start.

They allowed us to check in at 11AM for no extra charge (like in Vegas). We had a view of the street from the 34th floor for no extra charge. The hotel is extremely narrow, with only four rooms to a floor. Our bed was huge and so soft. The shower was super hot and the shampoos were Crabtree & Evelyn and smelled so good. Our alarm clock worked on time as did the automated wake-up call.

We slept so well, not a peep from other rooms or the street. I almost didn't want to write a review because I feel like I'm giving away a great secret. I used to have about 3 hotels I used as good stand-bys in New York, but they have all since been sold and have increased prices in a huge way. I feel like this is my new hotel, and I don't want to share it.

By luck, there was a street fair just around the corner. We had lunch for $3 each and bought some cool stuff. If you are familiar with the huge bull statue in the financial district, the hotel is right around the corner.

Two more seasoned cab drivers could not find this place, but thank God for GPS and smart phones. I have absolutely no other complaints about the place.

Room Tip: Before you get a cab, circle the location on a map or pull it up on your smart phone. No cab driver...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ironcross31
DPPNewYork, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share details about your stay with us while visiting New York City. I am happy to see that you had a great experience, that you were able to enjoy the convenience of our location and the fun of a street fair. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future and feel honored to make our hotel your new “home away from home”
North America
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Firstly, I’m a diamond member who essentially lives on the road. I seldom even see my itinerary until the day I travel. I politely called this property to cancel so as to position myself closer to my customer. I was told I’d have to pay for the night as a penalty for cancelling. 24 hour notice, period. It strikes me as an absurd policy since the inconvenience this has cost me in this instance will surely cost the property more over time and assures that I will not only never stay there again but will advise others not to as well.
My experience was memorable. Inept front desk staff unsure of what they could do, yet they constantly uttering how much they “understand” my position. Right. OK, keep me for a night and lose me for a lifetime. Your choice.
Cookies were from last week ? Disgusting. Room was tiny, smelly with no air and without a view (city view = ugly building facing). Water view = save your money and book somewhere else.
For what they charge put your money to better use at another property. Manager of the property is clearly short sighted and he certainly doesn’t understand his clients, most especially the diamond member clients who are in constant flux on the road. OK, go ahead and make me stay tonight and lose me for a lifetime. I understand this property now and appreciate the lesson in customer service. How do you spell AVOID?

Room Tip: Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank KittyRoadWarrior
KTPM, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you for the comments.

Our Doubletree Cookies are baked fresh every day, all of our rooms have air conditioning and heating (in addition to having windows that open) and the views from our upper floors are spectacular.
HHonors members are valued customers of not only this hotel, but to our other Hilton Brands around the world. There are many benefits to being an HHonors member, unfortunately, cancelling a guaranteed reservation on the day of arrival is not one of them. The hotel held this guaranteed reservation on a sold out night with the expectation that this guest would arrive and utilize the room.

We apologize that we were not able to fully satisfy this guests expectations and hope that they decide to try a Hilton Branded Hotel in the future.