“Very good meal”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Took my friend and his family here on their last visit. Didn't like the "B" rating in the window, expressed this to my friend, but he didn't care. It was in this heat wave and I think they just wanted to go somewhere quickly and this was there and empty. Realizing it was the sister to Joe's Shanghai, I figured it must be OK and just pretended the "B" rating didn't exist...

There were not many customers so only the small downstairs area was open. The few groups of customers there all seemed very happy to be there and were enjoying their meals. We were seated immediately and got the drinks right away. The service is not real nice... it's not bad, it's not rude, but it's not friendly or customer-service oriented. It was adequate, nothing to really complain about but nothing to really praise, either.

The dishes we got were all well received by their eaters... I had the pan-friend noodles which was actually the best pan-friend noodles I've ever had, and I've had that dish all over Chinatown, NYC, and outside of NYC also.

My friend had Kung Po chicken, said it was great. His wife and kids had shrimp fried rice, chicken with broccoli, soft noodles with vegetables and tofu, and veggie dumplings, which they all seemed to love.

Of course I insisted on soup dumplings, explaining to them that this was the specialty...everyone LOVED the soup dumplings, and I recognized them as being the same that Joe's Shanghai served.

I hope they get an A rating soon because I really would like to go back, and I will go back when they do, multiple times. Even if I have to go and eat alone I'll go back once they clear up that rating.

Great option in Chinatown, DELICIOUS.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

You go here for one reason: the soup dumplings called "xiao lum bao" in Chinese. Amazing! Be sure to get the ones with crab meat included as it makes a big difference in flavor. The quality is the same as their sister restaurant Joe's Shanghai down the street but without the horrible wait. Bad reviews must be from gringos that don't get it. The soup dumplings are supposed to be Five Star and the service is supposed to be bad. That is the shtick.

1  Thank uppertexside
Reviewed May 15, 2013

A hidden gem in Chinatown. Terrible / rude customer service. But, their pork soup dumplings are excellent and it nullifies the terrible service. Prices are higher for a Chinese place but reasonable.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

prices are very competitive.
quality of food is ok. My shanghai noodle soup was rather tasteless and the consistence of the meat was not proper to how meat should be (cheap prices, cheap raw materials?).
dumplings were very good.
The service was extremely quick, less than 3 minutes after having ordered, the soup was on the table.
Is it normal?

1  Thank CPJD00
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Food is adequate and affordable at this Chinatown eatery. But if you are expecting smiles and "service" you may want to pass this one up. We had to wait over 15 minutes for the waiter to come take our order.. And I mean fifteen minutes after we closed our menus. Right before we were about to leave our frowning waiter appeared. He never checked back at all during the meal and a check was thrown on the table by another server. They were however, prompt when it came to picking up the check ... I barely finished putting the cash in the folder when a female cashier grabbed it . Forget this one!

1  Thank Karinlyn