“Disappointed”

Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I read the dumplings were amazing there, but i ended up disappointed. In ordered basic dumplings like the ha cao (steamed shrimp raviolis) and wonton soup. The soup was too salty and the wonton not that good. Ha cao's dough was too tick.

• Korean first
Windsor, United Kingdom
“worlds worst service”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

in nyc on a holiday with family.
i'm a fairly experienced traveller and can safely say this is the worst service ever, not just in america but in the world.
on arrival we were sat on a table in front of the old dragon on the front desk who then glared at us throughout the meal. not sure what purpose she served other than to make the whole experience even worse.
the waiter was drenched in sweat and at one point i honestly thought they would ask us to leave as we didnt order appetizers...
the food was then flung at us in random order promptly followed by the bill, before we'd asked for it!
and the food was cheap chinese takeaway quality.
avoid.

College Station, Texas
“Still all about the dumplings”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stumbled upon Joe's Ginger after attempting to eat at Joe's Shanghai down the street only to find the health inspectors there which shut down the restaurant for about an hour while they did their thing. We had gotten all excited when we arrived not to find a line down the street like so many times in the past, so we didn't want to wait an hour until the inspectors finished. The hostess suggested we try the Joe's Shanghai Midtown location, but I am not a fan of it - not as good, so we started walking and looking at shops still wanting to satisfy the craving for dumplings. We saw pictures of dumplings at the next restaurant but opted to keep moving after not finding anything to indicate it was good or reputable (magazine articles, TripAdvisor stickers, etc) and then we found Joe's Ginger with Zagat placards all over the window and decided to try it, only to discover upon being seated that it is a spin off of Joe's Shanghai with the exact same dumplings. So with another store over on Mott, we now have 3 options in the neighborhood when wanting Joe's dumplings.

• Visited December 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent High-quality Food, Very Little MSG, Inexpensive, but. ...”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have eaten here many times over the past 2.5 years, and I have always found the food to be of excellent quality, and the serving sizes are generous. And best, unlike many Chinese restaurants in NYC, they consistently seem to use very little MSG in their foods (I am quite sensitive to MSG, and would notice immediately if they used much MSG. ...), and thus I return again and again, often with friends who had been unaware of this gem, to eat here. The food is also quite inexpensive.

The ONLY area that could possibly use a bit of improvement is the service. At every one of my meals here, the servers have consistently forgotten/neglected to bring me a bowl of white rice with dishes (i.e., egg foo young, broccoli with garlic) where I had asked for it, and even when I have flagged a waiter and asked again, 9 out of 10 times, they continue to fail to bring the rice until I get annoyed and hunt someone down and crankily demand my white rice.

I suspect that this consistent and bizarre failure to deliver white rice to their customer's tables is no accident, and rather, that it is due to some kind of gigantic, incomprehensible and unfathomable White Rice Conservancy Conspiracy (WRCC), where there are large posters in the kitchen and other staff-only areas of this restaurant urging waiters to do anything possible to avoid delivering bowls of white rice to customer tables, and urging compliance with this edict using melodramatic fear-tinged warnings such as:
"For every grain of white rice eaten by a customer, a baby dies somewhere in China."
"For every grain of white rice eaten by a customer, a galaxy is swallowed by a black hole."

Overall, great restaurant! BTW, they accept cash only -- their signage makes clear that they do not accept cards, etc. ...! I love this place!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Vinny067
paris
“Good and cheap”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It's cheap, the quantities are big, the service is fast, and there is no decoration. Don't go looking for a smile from anybody who works there, but i guess it's part of the restaurant's charm. It's small, and we were lucky to be seated straight away. The xiao long bao are delicious as is the crispy chicken. Order tons, and get a doggy bag after... if you're on a budget, it's great, if you're not, but you like good food, it's great!