“Nice room in NYC + view”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #302 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We just stayed at the Element, it was the first time for us as SPG Plats to stay at an Element property, we were in town for a celebration(s), booked three rooms at a great price for NYC. Location isn't the greatest, but it's close enough to Times Square and public transportation. Rooms are good for couples, or people traveling without children. Rooms come stocked with a kitchenette, and all the utensils etc if you wanted to cook. Staff was great, we had a convoluted process for checking in, and then when we were in a room we ended up booking another room, and then having to check in again. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed February 26, 2011

I read the reviews on trip advisor and was cautious but decided to stay anyway. When I arrived to NYC I definitely needed directions. When I got out of Penn Station I called the hotel and asked if its close enough to walk with luggage and was told it was. After a good 10 block walk and exhausted arms I arrived to a hotel exterior that looks nothing like the pictures. I was feeling very cautious at this time. The check in was quick and when I got to the room I enjoyed the view of the city. I went to use the restroom and found that somebody else had before me but they used the shower instead of the toilet. After alerting the front desk I was moved to a smaller room. I asked during my stay many questions about the surrounding area and got a staff that really had no knowledge of the area(which was surprising) luckily I had google. The only helpful staff were the bellmen on departure. Find somewhere else to stay, Also its next to a male strip club that host a large mixed crowd of rowdy women and gay males.

3  Thank freqroamer
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed overnight over the weekend. The rate was reasonable and the room was large and comfortable. The only thing I was upset about is you can choose a room with breakfast or without and I chose with breakfast because it was only $20 more. Upon arrival we learned that all rooms come with breakfast so the additional charge option is really not right.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Happytravelinfamily
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We booked this hotel shortly before it opened. All the rooms have king size beds only, no double beds. As we were traveling with our teenage daughter, we asked the Starwood reservationist if there were any rooms with a sofa where our daughter could sleep. The reservationist called the hotel and they suggested we select a "studio" with kitchenette and sofa. Sounded perfect. When we got there, we discovered the studio had a kitchenette and a club chair - no sofa, just one bed. We called the front desk, and the person said there was nothing he could do we should call Starwood reservations to see if they could change our hotel. We were in NYC for a very busy two days and didn't have time to muck about with changing hotels. However, we ended up paying a premium for a room that was just as unsuitable to our requirements as the regular rooms. I was very disappointed in the indifferent attitude of the front desk - after all it was Element hotel who had claimed to have sofas in the studios.

The hotel is one of many moderate chain hotels along this street. The "green" theme is pleasant and the location is mid town and convenient. However, i am growing tired of the Starwood Hotel Group where passing on inaccurate and misleading information seems to have become the norm.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank glashead
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I needed a place to stay midtown west, but didn't want Times Square and am a Starwood Gold member. I wanted to try out the new Element concept, but like many of you, very concerned over all the poor reviews. Thankfully I had a great stay and would go back again, no problem. They have worked out many of the issues reviewed here, so do consider this a worthy option.

I stayed 2 nights the 2nd week of February in room 1610 facing north over the PA terminal. A great view and quiet. It was next to the elevators, but never heard them.
I was greeted by the doorman upon entering at 2:3-pm and received a very friendly and efficient early check-in. The front desk woman was knowledgeable and explained all the features to me.

All 3 elevators are working and I never waiting more than 60 seconds for one during my entire stay. I agree there should be more for 40 floors, but I did not have any delays.

Room-I had a studio king and can confirm the bed IS a king. I could walk around both sides. Yes, it was a bit tight, but not the 4" someone else claimed. Nice sized desk and flat screen above. The multimedia hook-ups were great allowing the flat screen to be my laptop and offering plenty of charging outlets. There was one easy chair in the room tucked between the desk and kitchenette area, not the L-shaped sofa as shown on the website. The kitchenette has everything you would need, however there was no silverware. A call to housekeeping had a new batch in 5 minutes. This was the only issue I had with the room. Everything else was totally fine. Very mod decor in soothing earth tones.
There is a small breakfast bar with two stools against the wall from the cooking area.
I get the extended stay concept, but with so many places to eat or grab a snack, I don't think it's necessary to have a full size fridge in the room taking up valuable space. All in all, a nice, well equipped kitchenette.
Some people have complained about the wood floors, but they were not cold (it was 10 degrees outside) and I think they probably keep the room cleaner. I liked the hardwoods.
Adequate closet space and built in drawers.

Bathroom- Small, but decent sized and well lighted. I liked the euro-style toilet that allows you to half flush or full flush to save water. A modern sink fixture with bar soap provided. Plenty of towels. Other reviewers are correct as there is no trash can in the bathroom. Just use the one under the kitchen sink.
A large walk in shower with a rectangular rain shower head and also a hand held wand. I had plenty of hot water and pressure with no issues. There are two pump dispensers on the wall for a shampoo/conditioner combo as well as bath gel. Both products were of decent quality.
Overall everything is so new, nothing was worn and I was pleased with the cleanliness. No issues with housekeeping over the say except for the missing silverware upon check-in which was quickly corrected by an apologetic staff member.

Breakfast-This is where some improvement can be made. The design of the lobby and lounge area in back of the elevator bank is nice but compact. They have several communal tables with stools, however they set up a large part of the breakfast service on them which cuts down on places to sit. I had to sit on the sofa at 9am and eat on my lap or from the coffee table. It was still plenty busy, so must assume the morning rush to eat and go before 8am must be pretty tight. This wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I'd prefer a table to sit at which I got the second morning. I joined a group of editors from Montreal attending fashion week at the one communal table in the lobby that was available. It made for an interesting morning breakfast, but I know others would not like the close quarters, lounge kind of breakfast-similar to being in a small club floor lounge that is really busy.
There was a decent variety of hot and cold options. Yes, I agree the eggs could use a little work. The potatoes offered were tater tots. Retro or inexpensive? The smoothies in shot glasses were novel and tasty. A nice touch. There were several staff clearing plates and restocking coffee while I was there. Breakfast goes away promptly at 9am and the lobby turns back into one. For a complementary breakfast, it was adequate and a step above Holiday/Hampton Inn level of offerings.

There are many comments on the staff. I found them to be helpful and always greeted me at I entered or left the hotel each and every time. Upon check out I was asked if I needed a cab or any transportation. Check-out was as quick, efficient and friendly as check-in was.

So a few bullet points:

1. This hotel has ONLY kings and no doubles, so it is perfect for singles or a couple traveling together. This also means not very kid friendly. It's more of an adult/business person environment, which is attractive to me.

2. The location. There is a Duane Reade (pharmacy/convenience store), subway stop and a variety of dining options within one block. Yes, it's off colorful 8th Ave, but I felt totally safe and didn't find it a concern at all. A few people made comments regarding "the weird bar" 2 doors down. OK, I looked it up and it is a gay Latino club called Escuelita. So what? Keep walking or walk on the other side of the street if it bothers you so much. You probably didn't like walking by the adult shops on 8th either?
If you have business nearby (the New York Times headquarters is across the street) you can't beat the location. I would to prefer to stay here than in crazy, tourist filled Times Square. If you require more service and amenities, then I suggest you stay at the Westin or the W a few blocks north.

I travel the world and stay in 3-5 star properties regularly. In NY I have stayed at Morgans, Royalton, Hilton Millenium at WTC and Sheraton NY multiple times.
I was totally pleased with my stay and wish Element the best as they plant themselves and their new, green concept in NY.

1  Thank PSP64
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Summary: I booked 6 rooms at the Element for my staff, so I had a wide variety of experiences.
Pros: Comfortable, new, modern, great location - has potential!
Cons: Let's just say this is a new property (opened just two months ago) and with time I hope the kinks are worked out. I really want to stay here again, but we had a wide variety of issues including elevator noise in our rooms, no hot water in some rooms, low water-pressure, non-working kitchen sinks, dirty dishes, non-working televisions, no alarm clock, no trashcan in the bathroom, broken thermostats, cleanliness of some towels, and atrocious breakfast service (good food quality / bad service). All of those things are fixable over time, and I can look past these growing pains, but...
Bigger Con? The hotel added $30 dollars of "Restore" food charges to one of my rooms - I'm sure another guest is thrilled that they don't have to pay that charge. We certainly didn't buy any food.
Biggest Con? Well intentioned, but inexperienced front desk clerks and management. One of my employees was checked out of her room during the middle of our stay without my knowledge or consent - while I was out to dinner! They forced my employee to re-book the hotel and pay $195 per night just to get back into her room (I had pre-paid the entire trip / all days with reward points). The inexperienced hotel manager said that I had changed my reservation dozens of times, they also claimed that they couldn't get a hold of me to verify the changes because they didn't have my contact information, and that I didn't have enough points to even book my rooms, etc. They accused the customer of being wrong. I had to spend an hour after my Valentine's Day evening with my wife proving that I made no such changes. This ruined my night.

Thankfully, I called the Starwood Preferred Guest 800 number and the experienced rep proved the manager entirely wrong - and told her what to do and how to correct their errors over my phone. The hotel had no right to make any changes, I certainly had enough points for my stay, I had made no changes to my reservation - EVER, all of my contact information was on file and correct, and the hotel made these errors - not the customer. What basically happened is that a careless front desk clerk was modifying someone else's reservation and changed MINE instead. Way to go!

This completely careless mistake ruined my Valentine's and created one heck of an unnecessary customer service nightmare. I received no apology, and neither did my employee. If the hotel wants proof of what I just wrote, I have a case number with Starwood issued by the 800 rep who handled the entire incident.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JasonLab
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This hotel probably deserves an overall rating of 3.5 stars. The pros outweigh the cons but there were some definite issues that caused this slightly above average rating.

PROS
-The room was very clean, quite large (for NYC), well designed and new.
-Good value...reasonably priced and includes free in room WIFI and breakfast.
-Close to Times Square
-Friendly staff

CONS
-Hotel is tall and narrow. Most rooms are either next to or directly across from elevator.
-One block from Port Authority...seedy area.
-Great shower...with luke warm water
-Noisy*
-Bumbling staff**

*The alarm clock in the empty room next to us kept randomly going off starting at 11:30pm.

**5 calls, 3 separate trips by security/front desk, and 2 hours of beeping to figure out that the clock was malfunctioning and it needed to be unplugged???? Didn't get resolved until 1:30am. Annoying.

It's not a bad hotel, in fact, the room was great. It's just that there were a lot of variables that seemed to water-down the overall experience.

2  Thank thefly