“New Year's Eve Trip”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pine, Colorado
“New Year's Eve Trip”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

It was very nice to have complimentary breakfast and happy hour. There were times when it seemed impossible to take the elevators down because the "supply could simply not keep up with the demand." Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosie W
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Rosie W,

We are happy that you chose our Times Square hotel to ring in the New Year! We apologize for the challenge with our elevators and we appreciate you sharing your feedback online about your experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I live in a local suburb (after living in NYC for many years!) and had a conference in NYC. The weather was due to be horrible so I decided to stay in the city vs. commuting back the next day. Found this hotel through TA and then was able to get a nice discount from a different site so I thought I'd try it out. It was a really good decision! The room was clean and very nice - bonus was that it had a small kitchenette (even with a dishwasher!) so I was able to purchase some food and drinks from a local market in order to save some $. Everything is very modern. Bathroom was nice too - great shower! I was on a upper floor (my request which was honored) and honestly didn't have any trouble with the elevators as other reviewers had mentioned. Staff was super friendly and that just added to the experience. Breakfast wasn't anything special but was nice that it was included. Close to all subways and Port Authority Bus Terminal. Great location for going to TKTS for discount Bway tickets or if you are planning to see a show in the Times Square area. I will definitely use this as my "home base" when I need/want to stay in the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Carman310
Dear Carman310,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your overnight stay in Manhattan and for sharing your feedback online. We hope you come back and take a "staycation" with us for a weekend away from home since you are so close.
Durham
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This would be the only hotel we stay in if my husband had his way. The staff is always great, rooms very comfortable. They have fridge, microwave, stove, dishes, toaster, etc without feeling like you're in a motel. Included breakfast - while not full out - has enough options to get you through - from bagels/pastries to cereal, oatmeal, yogurt & fixings, eggs sandwiches, etc. Always have coffee, tea, hot chocolate in the lobby. Towels are good sized - not super soft but not scratchy at all. In room dvd and console that you can hook up all of your own gadgets to if you brought the wires. The shower is really nice; I prefer high pressure showers, but my husband likes the waterfall showers that this hotel has. Soap and shampoo are good. This is our 3rd stay here. Price is usually the only reason we stay somewhere else. Very convenient to all theaters.

Room Tip: haven't had a bad room - even when across from the elevators
Dear Toni-lynn M,

We are glad to hear that you and your husband enjoy your time with us. We will continually welcome you back to our hotel and hope to always exceed your expectations.
Key Largo
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Great hotel. Nice comfy rooms with a kitchenette, spacious updated bathrooms. The front desk staff were very friendly. Breakfast downstairs every morning was very good. They provided us with a driver so we would not have to call for a taxi. The owner of the company was very professional and a great driver as were his employees (we used them as our drivers wherever we went as the vans were clean, warm and the drivers drove well). We stayed the week before Christmas, the hotel was priced reasonably for that time and was well located. The elevators are slow but we opted for the 2nd floor as my mom hates heights. So this was not a problem for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnsonMerritt
Dear JohnsonMerritt,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in NYC and for sharing your experience online. We are glad that you and your mom enjoyed your time with us and we hope to host you again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a decent place to stay as it is close to Times Square, however the elevator service is horrendous. The staff closes down one elevator most of the day for trash pickup and the maids use another to move from floor to floor. This leaves one elevator for 40 floors. Results in long wait times ( 20 minutes or longer) to get to your room or to the lobby. This was not a one off as it lasted all three days we were there. Rooms are nice with a small kitchen. Breakfast is average and typical in a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on lower floors to skip waiting for the elevators
1 Thank OldManBinky
New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel is in a great location in midtown NYC. its close to the port authority, subways, and times square. there is construction outside, but you don't really hear it inside. the only staff we really encountered was Millie at the front desk and Alex at the concierge. they were both friendly and made us feel at home.

the room is great. the kitchen area has a fridge, stove-top, microwave, dishwasher, sink, and all the utensils to go along with it. our room was on the tight side, you could realistically only walk on one side of the bed. but, it's new york and there is an overall acceptance of small rooms i guess. we had loveseat which was nice as well. the bathroom was great. a big shower with a nice shower-head and decent amenities (i guess that's the Westin aspect). i dont think housekeeping always gets the best wrap in this industry, but i have to say our room and especially the bathroom were very clean. the tv was on the small side, but honestly it was dwarfed by the view from the window. we were high up, and the view was priceless looking north through midtown. there is an open air terrace on the roof as well which is a nice addition to the amenities.

the hotel gym was well sized and never crowded. i didnt appreciate the warmth of the gym. i suppose some people dont get warm while they workout, so they need the heat on to warm them? the thing that kept me from rating the hotel better was the breakfast. it wasnt bad, it just wasnt that good. its a typical assortment of pastries, bread, yogurts, fruit,etc. the only hot items are breakfast sandwiches that get soggy in their wrappers. i understand the food is included in the price of the room rate, but for similar rates, there are other hotels that offer a larger assortment. overall though, the hotel is in a great spot, has nice staff, and i would be up for another visit.

Dear derekisphat,

Thank you for the detailed review of our property. We are happy to hear you would be willing to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Oregon
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I am writing this with one night remaining on a 5 night stay. All in all, I've been very satisfied w/Element NYTimes Square West. The front office manager, Mr. Lee, was very gracious and looked after me by securing a room on the top floor w/a nice city view. I am grateful to him for being such a good host. I was in a King Studio which is still a rather compact room but it was more than comfortable for a single traveler (which I am on this trip). It had a closet w/doors and a third section w/pull out drawers for clothiers. It also had a safe large enough to handle my laptop. The hotel has Westin's wonderful bed and linens and it makes for a good sleep. As others have noted, the fridge/freezer and microwave and coffee maker and dishes and utensils are all handy.
I have not had a single problem w/the elevators. I had read the reviews about them and I was nervous. I lucked out because I never waited more than a minute or two before an empty elevator collected me.
Also, I thought the staff were all eager and willing to help. Vicki is a really nice woman who always greeted me w/a warm smile and helped me out when I had a need.
All in all, this is nice place to spend some time. Great location. Nice people. It is not a W nor a Four Seasons but you aren't paying those kinds of rates either. I recommend it. It does everything it says it will do. A good choice in NYC

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank hotelfan
Dear hotelfan,

We really appreciate you sharing the experience you had while staying with us. We have shared your feedback with our team members and we hope to always be your New York City hotel of choice on future trips to the big apple.