“Value for money”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leuven, Belgium
“Value for money”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Staying in new york city is expensive. As a young couple, we always search for a hotel that gives good quality for the money you pay. Element times square was worth it! It is, in my opinion, a clean modern hotel. The only minors are the breakfast and the slow elevators. The nice room and view made up for all of those laks!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 99Lise66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
crttom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel was absolutely great, for the following reasons;

- Great location. Handy for lots of tourist attractions and the subway
- Room was clean, tidy & spacious. Air con included as well which was a lifesaver in that heat. Bathroom was lovely and spacious and the shower was great. They also provide pretty much everything you need (towels, soaps, shampoos, lotions, potions, tissues and, most importantly, toilet roll!) Also had a kitchenette but only really used the fridge as we ate out most of the time
- Staff helpful, polite & friendly
- WIFI - free and fast, enough said
- Breakfast - absolutely spot on. Lots of choice and eat as much as you want
- Evening snacks and drinks included - a nice touch
- They looked after our bags on our last day (and when I say look after, they locked them up rather than slinging them in a cupboard near the main door). And there was a bathroom to use!!
- Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate downstairs whenever you wanted.
- We were on the 17th floor at the front of the building - some traffic & human noise as you would expect but we didn't have any problem sleeping through it.

Slight downside;

- The lifts were slow at busy times - we would definitely recommend factoring this in when you have to be somewhere at a certain time!!

Overall this hotel was great. The trip to NY was crazy, and this hotel made it all the more bearable!!

Room Tip: It's a difficult one; the higher up you are the less noise, but the lifts can be slow so not ide...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for the "brilliant" review! We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to Times Square again soon.
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I loved the room. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was clean and nicely sized and the kitchen was perfect. The down side is the elevator is VERY slow. Not just "wow this elevator is slow" but walking down thirty flights of stairs was quicker! We tried in at one point, and the stairs won. The roof top deck is beautiful, but to loud to be restful. Overall I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are high, which means slower elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katrina S
Dear Katrina S,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear you would stay with us again, even considering your challenge with our elevators. We appreciate your sentiment and hope to see you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Free breakfast and WIFI , you will not get this anywhere else in NYC! We just returned from NYC today, we stayed at Element for 4 days and enjoyed it! The staff were friendly always willing to help, the elevators were a tad slow, best bet press both the up and down button and take te first one that arrives. The breakfast is good, not amazing but it filled us up and saved us $$. The breakfast area was always full so we just took ours to our room, again not a problem for us.
The bed was amazing, so comfortable best sleep we had at a hotel. Loved that there was a kitchen, so convenient we bought bottled water and drinks and kept the there. So close to Times Square, it was awesome, subway station is around the corner... Everything was a few minutes away. If we ever return, we will for sure comeback to Elements.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vera D
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A last minute trip to NYC left me scrambling to find a place to stay. Finally I came across Element during my exhaustive search and found it to be everything I ever wanted for my trip. The hotel is conveniently located in Time Square within walking distance of Midtown West (Hell's Kitchen) and everything you could ever want in Times Square.

I walked from Penn Station to the hotel using the Mapquest app on my iPhone and didn't get lost. It was an easy and relatively short walk. Upon entering I was greeted at the main door by two bellmen. I proceeded to the reception desk and quickly was checked in. Having read reviews prior to booking I was ready for the long wait for the elevator. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived almost instantly.

My room was located directly in front of the elevators. At first I thought about requesting a room change but didn't bother with it. Noise from the elevator was never an issue and I'm a super light sleeper.

The room was typical in size when compared to other NYC hotels. The kitchenette was spacious, clean and seemed quite useful. I didn't use the stove, sink, or dishwasher but I did use the fridge and freezer. They are both full size which was surprising. The kitchenette also comes fully stocked with coffee, tea, creamers, sugar, honey, pots/pans, cups, plates, bowls, mixing bowls, storage bowls, utensils, mugs, disposable travel mugs, toaster and a clean new dish sponge and individual dish soap.

The bathroom was large with updated touches. The shower with full glass doors had a rain forest style sprayer, with low pressure, and a handheld sprayer with much stronger pressure. There were also two wall affixed containers of body wash and shampoo/conditioner. I found the shower to drain slowly after the second day here but otherwise it was efficient. I didn't find any issues with the hot water as I read in other reviews. In fact, I assumed I would have this issue and ran the water for about 20 minutes before I showered only to find it was unnecessary the next day when I had no time to run the water prior to showering.

The bed was beyond comfortable. The entertainment system was a nice touch. A DVD player with various plugs for charging electronics and connecting HDMI, USB , etc.

I found the A/C to be quite inconsistent. The first day if it wasn't set at the lowest, 65 degrees, you would sweat to death! I'm always cold and I found this to be the only temperature that was comfortable. The next day we turned it up to 70 as it was actually freezing and the A/C never turned on the entire day. It was like a hot oven when we returned.

The last night I noticed the walls were rather thin when I woke up at 5 am to the sounds of our neighbors' lovemaking. As I said I'm a super light sleeper. My guy didn't hear a thing but it woke up me and kept me awake when I would rather have been sleeping.

The elevators on our last day were extremely slow. It took twenty minutes for one to come. It was packed like sardines and we were sick of waiting so we squeezed in. Turns out during the day they do maintenance on one of the two hotel guest elevators and the other is a service elevator so it was essentially as if the hotel only has one elevator.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Belle1025
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear belle1025,

Thank you for your extensive feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience and we hope that you come back and enjoy our property again on a future visit to NYC.
Burleson, TX
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If your in NYC to sightsee you won't find a better value than the Element. We flew in the Newark Airport and caught the express bus to the Port Authority which is one block from the hotel. It is only 3 blocks from Times Square so you are very close to all the mid-town shopping and restaurants. The free breakfast every morning is not gourmet but it has variety and is satisfactory. The happy hour also has free beer/wine and finger foods every afternoon. The room has a full size refrig, stove and microwave so you can keep food/drinks in the room. We got most of our drinks/snacks at the grocery store just 2 blocks from our room and this came in handy when you didn't want to leave your room late at night to find something to eat/drink. Rooms were good size and the standup shower/bathroom was above average. From now on this is the only place I will stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bhull98
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Element was very clean and the staff was very accommodating. It was a good location for walking to Times Square and a myriad of restaurants. We were within walking distance of one of the theatres we attended. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013