“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location for Times Square and for the penn station.
The room had plenty of equipment if you wanted to stay in for cooking. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom is well finished.
The breakfast isn't much but if you just want cereal and a coffee it will suffice but happy hour in the evening was good with free snacks, beer, wine and soft drinks. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would love stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Psnipps

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Element in June 2013. Loved the rooms - modern, small kitchen & eco-friendly! The rooftop sitting area has an amazing view of the city lights. A light breakfast was included with our room. But the best part of this hotel is the location! Walking distance to so many things in Manhattan!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Checkers_Domino
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Element from August 29th - September 2-2013 (Labour Day Weekend) on the advice of tripadvisor members. Let me share the "good" and the "bad".

Good: Location. Greeted at check-in with a friendly smile. The hotel breakfast (included), beverage area in lobby and the ensuite kitchenette...very handy (esp. with such hot/humid weather). Comfortable Westin bed and bedding. Nice shower head with good pressure (though the hot water was hit & miss).

Lynn (Mgr.) & Ivory (Front Desk) were very apologetic at check-out but...

Bad: 1. For a relatively new hotel property the decor is warn-out (rough shape)! Damaged & dirty furniture both in lobby and room. Holes (yes, holes) in our white shower (patched with green fill). 2. Had to dust room and wash bathroom wall before unpacking. 3. At one point, our room wasn't cleaned for 48 hrs. (even after speaking to staff on 3 separate occasions) One of the housekeeping staff actually told us her shift was ending in 17 minutes and she'd leave a note for the night shift, but couldn't guarantee anything. 4. Waited for an elevator for 15-20 minutes...NOT acceptable (even from the 37th floor). 5. In room air conditioner leaked all over the vinyl flooring. We had to use our bath towels to soak up the mess...and since our room wasn't being cleaned regularly...towels were in short supply.

Not a typical experience from a Westin/Starwood property!

Room Tip: We were next to the elevator and couldn't hear a thing....quite rooms!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ErinC69
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear ErinC69,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that we disappointed you and we will work towards improving our services to ensure our guests continue to leave us happy and refreshed. We hope you give us another chance in the future to win over your loyalty.
Victoria BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just got back from a 5 night stay at the Element Hotel in NY. The location was perfect for the subway ,entertainment and lots of food options.
We got to the Hotel after a 12 hour trip . I had booked my room months ago. The front desk told me they were over booked and all they had was two double beds available. This was supposed to be a romantic getway so I simply said please look to see what you can do as I booked a king size bed long ago and thats what my reservation said on it. 20 minutes of looking into a computor they begrudgeingly without a smile said "we will put you in a king room we found" we got to our room and it was very small but clean and the bed was really comfortable. During the night I heard a drippping from the A/C. I awoke to a soaked floor. My suitecase and some cloths were wet. Not good at all.In the morning I jumped in the shower and there was no hot water so we had to suffer through a cold shower. So we went down stairs to the free breakfast. It took 21 minutes to get the elevator! So frustrating! Everyday was the same 10 to 20 minute wait. Thats not acceptable. Breakfast was a true experience! Wow you would think that it was the last food left on earth as about 100 people were fighting for position at the buffett and grabbing as much as they could. Not enough tables and food all over the floor from these poor starved people grabbing too much at once who just saw food for the first time in weeks [So it looked ] .Same no hot water thing happened later that afternoon. I called the front desk and they were aware of the issue and were working on it. Fair enough [crap happens]
The water issues continued as did the soaking wet floor in our room. I put a huge pot under the dripping and it filled up very quickly. I made the front desk aware but nobody seemed too interested.
A day or two later the no hot water issue was fixed. In fact fixed so well that there was now no cold water and the shower was boiling hot and once again we could not shower. On the last day things seemed to be back working with the shower. But the elevators just got worse. EVERYONE was complaining about them. Sometimes in a day you waste an hour just waiting for the elevaotor depending on how many times you take it. I travel all over the world and I am SPG Pltainum and I think it's the best program going. I love Westin's and W Hotels . But come on Westin! Take your name off this one. It's an ebarrassment to your name. I am shocked to see your name outside on the building. I would not ever stay here again. Avoid it. Pay more for a better Hotel. This one put a real downer on our trip. Brutal!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. You will not be happy here. If you have to stay here get a room on the 2nd fllor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Danify,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay in NYC. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced a number of challenges during your stay. While we understand that not every stay can be perfect, we are disappointed we did not leave you rejuvenated and happy. We hope you allow us the chance to win you over on a future visit.
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I like it this hotel since i made the reservation. It is in a very good location, 5 minutes from Times Square walking and 10 minutes to the Empire State Bulding and the shopping area Macys, Victoria Secret.This was wonderful for us. All was very near to us. Each night and day we was walking in the area, we didnt use any buses!Our room was at 32 floor. We had a splendid vue at Hudson River. The room was very clean, king size bed, a little cuisine with everything, microwaves, refrigerateur, glasses! The bathroom was very clean with a very nice shower gel and shampoo.The only thing that was very difficult is to catch the elevateur, mainly in the morning. After the breakfast, If we forgot something in the room it was crazzy! Almost 15 minutes waiting the elevateur. The next day we was very careful to not forget something in the room, to go directly to the breakfast! One way! Also at the breakfast was crazy to find a table! We tryed to come earlier and earlier, and i found the better period was when its open the breakfast then is the only way to eat in peace! If we forgot this 2 issue and we find another solution, the hotel is very nice, clean, with friendly employees.The position is wonderful!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Diana B
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had meetings in midtown and decided to book a room in the vicinity. I was very pleased with the accommodations. I love hotels that have stopped using wall-to-wall carpets - especially in the city. I felt like I was in my own studio apartment. Efficient little kitchen made it easy to make my own breakfast and coffee. Definitely recommend. As other travelers have mentioned, the elevators are slow, so allow extra time

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My travel plans changed requiring us to spend an extra night in New York, as this was the only SPG hotel with availability I booked it, excitedly as it was a new brand for me.

For me the location was not ideal, however if you're going to NYC everyone has a preference on location. However I should have had an idea of the 'experience' as I came up to the hotel. Boxes blocked the entry to the hotel and most of it's facade. Check-in desk seemed so crowded and having to move out of people's way to check-in was annoying. On the bright side the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

The elevators were ALWAYS blocked with huge blue carts full of linens, which to me was just a total eyesore but also blocked the elevators. The elevators themselves are a joke and once you get off and onto the floor which you are staying prepare to have the hallway blocked by housekeeping items (I literally couldn't even wheel my suitcase past).

I'm SPG elite so I was upgraded to a suite, which I have to say would probably shame most NYC apartments. Very large, with a full kitchenette including filtered water and dish-washer, plates, glasses, coffee maker etc. Great storage space, a high-top dining table for two.

The bed was comfy enough but so tight against the wall I banged my knees on it a few times waking up through the night, and the air-conditioning unit actually leaked a huge amount of condensate out during the night....no fun to step in a huge puddle of water.

The view from my room 2710 was actually pretty good but the view from the roof-deck is really something great. We brought our breakfast up there and ate on the most prefect NY morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Eric S,

Thank you for sharing your experience online. We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and we are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We hope that during your next trip to NYC, you stay at one of our other lifestyle brands that best suits your needs.