“Great hotel with great location”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #274 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel with great location”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was there for 4 days . I had great time . As soon as we check in, receptionist advice if i add $25 us i can get great room with great view of the city per day. And i took her advice. I realise later i did right decision. It was worthy. When we went to the room at 39th flloor ride way we loved the room and the view. It didn't took long for us to get the room. Nice clean room. Than i check the rooftop it at 41st floor it was amazing view. We actually ask for top floor because of the rooftop.

Than later we went to evening snacks. It was ok my friend she loved the ckn wings. Nothing much to eat. But next day morning breakfast was ok . Not that variety but you will be just fine what ever you will see there. Staff are good behave. I broguht so drinks from lobby i feel too expensive. Other than there is some noise in the night but it was't that bad. So we were actually happy with our over all experience.
I must say they should work on pillow it wasn't shoft at all and kinda too big. I had hard time to sleep only beacuse of that. They don't have pool. Coffee you will get at the lobby all the time.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor because elevator are very fast and you wll get great view close to rooftop
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

If I had known about this hotel sooner I would have booked 10 nights not two. OMG! I dont usually have my omg moment so soon but it happened when I stepped into our room and saw the great view. This is not an expensive hotel so despite the great client photos, I was still not expecting to be pleased. I was kind of expecting a kind of up market eco hostel for some reason. I was so wrong! This has to be the best hidden gem in all of NYC. The room is very spacious. No carpet thank god. Great linen- fresh modern, totally cool. Great big bathroom. Great handy kitchenette (coffee supplied) for all the goodies we purchased from the minimart right Round the corner in the Port Authority. It's a short walk to Bryant Park, Times Square, the subway - to everywhere. Plus the price includes breakfast and free wifi. We had no trouble with the wifi at all. And yes, at times the lift is slow and small for the number of users but that is not much of a problem. This place is a total winner. I wouldn't bother looking any further.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AUStoWORLD
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel is in a good location. That's why it earned 2 stars from me. The rooms are TINY in spite of their web site describing them as "roomy". We felt this was misleading. They have crammed so much stuff into the room that it was hard for two people to maneuver. The elevators are excruciatingly slow with waits on them reaching 10-15 minutes. Breakfast was decent but very crowded. There was not sufficient seating and we finally found a spot to perch in the business center nearby. I will give housekeeping good marks. They were prompt and did a nice job straightening the room. Staying here was not a disaster but we were very disappointed since we have come to expect better from Westin. Probably would not stay here again.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mradin
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Mradin,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to the big apple. We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations this time around. If we have the opportunity to host you again, we would definitely recommend an upgraded room type to ensure you have enough space to enjoy your stay.
Eatontown, New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I dropped our son off at football camp and decided we needed a night out in the city, so I booked this hotel from my phone while we were on the ferry from Jersey. We got a last minute deal and ended up with a King suite on the 39th floor with a nice view of times square and the Hudson. The room was very clean and had a kitchenette. We were there one night only so we didn't make use of it it. Loved the shower as well with the rainfall shower head. There were only three elevators but I thought they were very fast and didn't have to wait long at all. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful as well. We did not take advantage of the free breakfast since my husband wanted an Irish breakfast and we can always get a good one in the city. All in all I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to be close to Times Square without out being in it and for families who want to save a little money by not eating out every meal. You can even bring your leftovers back from the restaurant as the fridge has plenty of room. Would definitely stay here again. Another plus was the Irish bar right next store where we had a nightcap before returning to our room.

Room Tip: Higher rooms = less noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is one of a group of new-style hotels...designed for convenience and functionality for business travelers. There is a lot to like here. Front desk is well trained, friendly, and efficient. Rooms are great...had a studio suite with mini-kitchen, all the tools and glasses and stuff, full size refrigerator, etc. Great bathrooms with a really large shower with a giant showerhead. Free breakfast and happy hours. Decent beer for free (Sam Adams).Decor is modern and very functional...desk and everything has lots of nooks and crannies to place stuff. I would be raving about this place...which is very similar to the Staybridge Suites down the street (which I did rave about). Elevators are reasonably fast so not bad on higher floors. So far this is great. One of the best values in NYC.

One gigantic shortcoming. The internet is terrible. Shut down several times, minutes to load pages, won't connect on occasion. To be fair, I ran some speed tests...567 and 342 kbps were the results with two different testers. One of the tests reported 98% slower than US average. For comparison a 3g phone runs around 2 Mbps (4-6x faster) and 4g around 9mbps (16-26x faster). So, for the 21st century, this hotel, with all its positive attributes, is dysfunctional for most business travelers. Simply not enough bandwidth. Can't work, can't send or receive files without timing out. At this speed light text email and light web only...when it doesn't kick you off and require reconnecting (5-6 times in first two days). Really? My phone will hotspot, so I have an alternate, but this is really not acceptable at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Artemus_Gordon,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in NYC. We appreciate the time you took to highlight our amenities and share your feedback. We are happy to report that we are currently undergoing an upgrade to our server, which will offer our guests faster internet service. Hopefully we can host you on a future stay so you can sample it for yourself.
Milton Keynes
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Situated a couple of blocks from Times Square, Element is ideally situated for the touristy part of Manhattan, while remaining slightly removed from the chaos of it.

The breakfast is a little unrefined but it is certainly more than enough to start the day off with; a selection of cooked breakfast rolls, pastries, fruit, cereal, yogurt and toast, all with juices and great coffee. On the subject of coffee - it is freely available "to go" all day in reception and the coffee in the hotel room was thoroughly decent filter stuff.

Other reviews mention the limited lifts for the number of rooms over the 40 floors - while it can occasionally result in a short wait it really didn't effect us.

All the staff we encountered were both helpful and friendly - not always the case in a NY hotel. The one bedside lamp that didn't work on arrival was fixed within moments of us mentioning it.

Having kitchen facilities in the room was useful. Having free wifi in a hotel is essential and Element have this covered at a decent speed as well! The only improvement I'd ask for would be a BBC news channel which seems to be available across Europe now, but that's just me.

Room Tip: I had a room to the front of the hotel on the 15th floor and noticed none of the road noise - other...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ge0ffA
Dear Ge0ffA,

Thank you for the great review. We hope to host you again in the future and we will look into your television request.
leigh-on-sea
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have just stayed one week in Element Times Square West in New Yok. I think we have found the perfect hotel for us. It is located in the Garment District on 8th Avenue and 39th Street - 3 blocks away from 42nd Street and Times Square. We stayed in room 3811 which is slightly bigger and has a view over uptown. It is also reasonably quiet and we are light sleepers. I mean New York is always busy and noisy, but the hotel has double-glazing. Apart from the great location we found the following really good: free wi-fi everywhere for every device, free printing service downstairs, friendly and helpful staff, kitchenette in room with coffee-making facilities and fridge (you could even cook), big bathroom with walk-in shower.
There are only two things which could be improved - breakfast: The choice was fine for us and if you like cereal, yoghurt, fruit (bananas and oranges), orange juice and tea/coffee, then all this is available, together with danish pastries, bagels, etc. and some strange looking hot baps a la McDonalds. What I didn't like so much was the fact that there are only paper plates and plastic cutlery and plastic cups which produces a lot of trash!
The other thing was the lift - if your room is on one of the higher floors, then you have to allow an extra 5-10 minutes to get to the ground floor - there are only 3 lifts (elevators) and 40 floors ! But having said this, I would gladly stay at Element by Westin again on our next trip to New York.

Room Tip: High floor despite the lifts and facing uptown, rooms ending in 07 and 11 are not next to lift
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear gtpurchase,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to NYC. We are happy to hear that you had such a great time and we look forward to hosting you again in the future. Your comments have been shared with our team as we are always looking for ways to improve our services and amenities.