“Just Ok Would Return”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Just Ok Would Return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Room rate when we booked was $296.00 I just the day off and the rate was $219.00. with tax means I spent $100 more. I wasn't happy about that considering I try to save money not throw it out the window. However the room was nice, it had everything that we needed for a comfortable stay. We asked for and was granted a late checkout so that was nice. We were only a 10 minute walk from time square. New york is very busy and fast paced, it is not for the young or old as they might get run over. The breakfast at the hotel had an ambudiance of food, very good food too; potates, bagles, enlgish muffins, toast, fruit and grab sandwhiches. I went down to breakfast around 7:08 and it was already packed. I grab some food for me and my sweetie and took it back upstairs. I ate the sausage egg and cheese sandwhich and it was delicious, I'm a very picky eater and I really enjoyed the food, I must say I was shocked how good it was. We would return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor as the view is spectacular we were on floor 37.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St.Petersbourg, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this great hotel only for one night and would definitely come back for a longer trip. The hotel itself is located just 2 min from Times Square! Given the price it's great value for money. The whole building is newly renovated. The rooms are not very big but very nice and cosy. You have everything to fulfill your needs: a very comfortable bed, very clean and spacious bathroom, even a small fully-equipped kitchen! In the hall you can get free tea, coffee, soft drinks to go - nice thing. Staff was also very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was included and was pretty enough to boost one for a long walk through Manhattan. Wi-Fi was also free of charge and very fast.
The last but not the least- the room view with skyscrapers beats it all!
Strongly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank la11
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear La11,

Thank you for the amazing review. We would love to have you back and are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have shared your kind words with our team and look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel mainly because I'm a theatergoer and I wanted to be close to the theater district. I wasn't wrong!! Maybe it's not the best location in Manhattan (the Port Authority Bus Terminal is just around the corner) but you have very good restaurants on 9th Ave. Great they have complimentary wifi. And great having complimentary breakfast too, but it looks like they are a bit overwhelmed with the size of the breakfast room. Take into account that this is hotel has 40 floors! So it is difficult to find a seat (I recommend to pick up your breakfast and take it to your room!). Same thing happened with elevators. Sometimes it took almost 10 minutes to get into one! The room is great! Great bathroom (attention! no bathtub. If your want to take long immersion baths this is not the place!) and great to have a complete kitchenette! Only one more thing to add: PLEASE, put some drawers!!! The closet is very tiny!!! But all in all I strongly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alex1426
Dear Alex1426,

Thank you for the incredible review. We are so glad you enjoyed our amenities and location and we have shared your comments with our team. We hope to host you again in the future.
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visit NYC twice a year and decided to stay at The Element New York Times Square West via recommendation from friend. My room on the 37th floor had a beautiful view from th Empire State Building to the bridge and river. Hotel was great with a super clean room, kitchen facilities, hot breakfast with healthy food items, and a wine and beer with appetizer evening reception. The staff (Gladys, David, Marquis, Kevin, Angie and everyone) made the stay enjoyble, comfortable, and relaxing. It felt more like being at home versus at a hotel. The location is close to everything--walking distance. My stay from April 21 to 28, 2013 went by so quickly and I wanted to stay longer mostly because of the hotel. I plan on going back to NYC in December and will definitely stay at this hotel. I have also recommended it strongly to friends and relatives who plan on visiting wthin the year.

Room Tip: Get a room with a city view if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael O
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Eco-friendly hotel was a last minute choice for us. The hotel is very conveniently located near Times Square and near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel for those who live in New Jersey. We were greeted by Ivory who gave us a complimentary upgrade to a corner studio room. The room was very quiet, spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The rain shower head was an added feature in the bathroom. The best part of the experience was the price. No where in our fine city can you find a decent hotel under $250. The staff is very accommodating and the complimentary Wifi was a plus! Complimentary breakfast is a nice addage, but if you are an eater, I suggest to go out for breakfast. The Irish pub next door has a Sunday brunch, which we discovered after we checked out. Give this property a try, you won't be disappointed! Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, it's quiet and not too close to the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elsa G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel went above and beyond our expectations for the price we had booked for.

The rooms are kitted with everything you need for doing either your own cooking or grocery shopping (the fridges they provide are MADE for the deli's nearby lol), the beds are amazingly comfortable and the cleanliness of all rooms and facilities we used were perfect.

The staff were always friendly, polite and helpful. If there were any issues (one issue with our shower leaking) you were made to feel that they would be addressed and resolved extremely quickly (and it was). Also, if we needed any advice on good places to eat, making reservations or general questions about NYC the staff were more than happy to advise us and help us out where they could.

Because we stayed over Christmas there were little events the hotel put on in the form of food and drink (bare in mind this hotel does not have a restaurant), which included free beer, wine and sodas as well as free snacks such as bbq ribs and chicken wings. These were really popular and well received by everyone who tried some (i definitely was not expecting this kind of fantastic treatment).

Breakfast was always busy and great for choice (included in the room rate). Buffet style options with things like hot bagels with scrambled egg, bacon and sausage, to cereals and fruit. The addition of the fresh yoghurt smoothie along with the tea and coffee was a really nice touch.

For our trip home we were accommodated with all the arrangements for a private taxi to JFK which was a simple and painless process.

From the moment we checked in to when time we checked out, this hotel really made our Christmas trip really special, comfortable and enjoyable the whole stay. I couldn't recommend this place more for any first timers of NYC or frequenters that are looking for a good price and a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid any noise from the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hampshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I surprised my husband with a trip to New York for his 40th birthday and we were most certainly not let down by any of it. Booked through Expedia, the Flights were great, Purple Parking is highly recommended and best of all, the Hotel was everything you could need. We had a King Standard with a kitchenette. The Staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms were exceptionally clean and turned down each day. The Kitchenette so handy and if over for a longer stay and money getting a little tight, could start eating in.... The breakfast had a good choice, from yogurts & fruit, porridge & cereal, bacon & egg baps, omlettes, bagels & pastries. There was plenty and enough if you wanted a snack for lunch, which you could keep in your room. The kitchenette is simply a great idea. The hotel base is a 10Min walk from Times Square & is pretty central to everywhere you would want to visit. A great location. My husband and I could not recommend this hotel highly enough, everything you need/want and more.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 24th floor, a little noisy at night but honestly think it would be in pretty mu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple