“Nice Newer Hotel By Westin - Glad We Tried It”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #301 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Element by Westin in April 2013 while in NYC for a few days before a sporting event. We are Starwood Preferred Guest members and always stay at one of the brands under this umbrella when we travel. However, this was our first stay at an Element – so we were not sure what to expect.

The hotel is located right outside of Times Square - a very short walk to the heart of Times Square / 42nd street (only 3 blocks). To get to Times Square, you walk down 8th Avenue past the Port Authority Bus Terminal. This is good and bad. Good for the fact that it also is a subway connection. Bad in that there can be a lot of undesirables hanging around in front of the terminal. We never had any problems any time we talked past; but it was uncomfortable at times. If you want to avoid the Port Authority area, just take 39th Street to 7th Avenue and turn left – skip 8th Avenue. A positive thing about the location is on 39th Street – the hotel is surrounded by Mexican restaurants (that is a good thing to us)!

Check in was a breeze and the staff (as always with Starwood) was super friendly, helpful, and generally amazing. Upon check in we were notified that Wi-Fi was free, there was free breakfast each morning, and free happy hour each night. We were a bit stunned because that is something we have never experienced at a Starwood Hotel. Bring on the free Wi-Fi, we HATE having to pay for this on top of the regular room rate. Way to go Starwood – start offering this at your other hotels… The free breakfast did include fruit, bagels, and hot foods which changed each day – it was a great way to grab a quick bite on your way out for the day. It was nothing super amazing, but it did the trick! Due to timing, we never got the chance to partake in the happy hour.

The rooms were nice, clean, and minimalist. Our room had a kitchenette with fridge, stove, microwave, etc. (we booked with points, so not sure if all rooms have full kitchens or not). The bed was super comfortable and made for good rest at night after a long day on the town. And the shower was very nice and relaxing as well. Our room was on the 29th floor and faced towards Times Square (the edge along 8th Avenue). The room even had a window you could open some and hear the sounds of the city and get some fresh air in.

Just as with other Starwood properties, the lobby was open and inviting (and smelled great). There was always free fruit water, coffee, and tea available all day / night. There were lots of open seats and couches to just chill and hang out. It was very cozy.

So we were pretty impressed with the Element for reasons listed above. As the hotel is up to par with what we expect from Starwood – we would recommend the hotel to someone looking to stay near the Times Square / Broadway area desire to be outside of the madness.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JTF_1977

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Internet speed is extremely slow. I work in IT, so it is crucial for me. Rooms are noisy - you always hear how doors are knocking. Air seems to be of not the best quality. My girlfriend is sensitive to this - her eyes are turning red when she is inside the room ). Some allergy or something.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jetsettermoscow
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I loved my stay at Element. My room was spacious, and I loved having the kitchenette! The fridge is full-sized, and has a freezer and ice trays, so you can make your own ice. The bed was very comfortable and large. The staff is not only friendly, but they go out of their way to assist in every way. Charles and Brooke were amazing. Brooke let me use her personal umbrella one rainy night when she was unable to locate one. She even walked to a nearby drugstore to get me some Tylenol one evening, and wouldn't let me reimburse her! That's great service! I've heard people say that it doesn't matter where you stay in NYC, because you won't be in your room much, but I strongly disagree. I think it's important to have a hotel room that's comfortable and that you enjoy coming back to. Another service I really enjoyed was the happy hour. Free drinks (wine & beer) and food Monday through Thursday evenings. My only complaint was that breakfast didn't offer gluten-free options, but the hotel was so great in every other way, it more than made up for it (I was able to find a gluten-free grocery that was a quick on and off the subway, and the kitchenette made it possible to store and cook the food). I will definitely stay at Element when I return. I can't imagine staying anywhere else! (The only reason I gave one star for swimming pool is that they don't have one. They don't have a restaurant in the hotel, so I also gave room service just one star.)

Room Tip: Get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank HollyFromRaleigh
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear HollyFromRaleigh,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you "Loved It" here and we already shared your kind words with our team members. We look forward to hosting you again on a future trip to the Big Apple!

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the element last week, it was our 1st time to NYC. Our hotel was exceptionally clean, comfortable bed & nice decor. The breakfast which was included was an extra bonus as it saved us having to eat out. The staff were very polite, friendly & efficient. Having a fridge in the room was great to keep our drinks cool. There is also a safe deposit box.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for Christmas and absolutely loved it!!!! Did not want to leave.
The staff at reception were always lovely,happy and really friendly.Breakfast was good just grab and go!! Totally love Newyork and we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Mia017
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for almost a week during summer of 2012 and the service was great but there are some obvious deficiencies which is unacceptable! Although breakfast is free, it is a mad scramble to get any kind of convenient seating! The seats are all taken up all the way to the lobby! And there are even days that they run out of food! But the first challenge is to get down to the lobby in the morning! You are lucky if you can get into an elevator to go down within 5 minutes. It might take you anywhere between 10 to 15 minutes more likely. Better to catch an elevator going up to go down. The rooms are nice but very tight and makes you wonder why they have a mini kitchen in the room when there are absolutely no grocery or market nearby! Am disappointed because this is not up to Starwood standards! Far from it! Bad building design! If you are going to stay here, stay on the lower floors so you have the option to walk down! Trust me, the wait for the elevator is looooong!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Konea2178
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Konea2178,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience from last summer while at our hotel. We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and we hope we can win you back at some point in the future.

Our free healthy breakfast and free weeknight wine receptions are extremely popular, but we can assure you that we do not run out of food for our guests. If guests choose to, they can also purchase food from our gourmet pantry and prepare their own meals in the kitchens in their guest rooms. Guests also have the option of walking around one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the world to find their own ingredients for their meals.

With regard to our elevator service, it does get busy during the morning and evening rush, but we do appreciate the patience of our guests. We hope that you will give us another try in the future to win you over.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just returned from a 1 week stay at the Element. This is a great hotel. Yes, the rooms are small- but the kitchenette more than makes up for it. The appointments are modern and nice. The staff is GREAT! I never once witnessed a negative person. Everyone from check in to security to housekeeping was so very nice. Vladamir was especially great. He personally greeted me and always asked specifically what he could do to help me. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor and it could get very noisy on weekend nights. The good thing is that I easil...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business