“Great value, clean but I don't understand the Westin relationship.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Element New York Times Square West

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #251 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Great value, clean but I don't understand the Westin relationship.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

After being told countless times how small and dirty New York hotels can be, I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms at the Element. They are well-above average for size and are more like a serviced apartment than a hotel fit out (they have a microwave, cooktop, full size fridge, however unfortunately no washing machine!).

It is an interesting concept; some fittings and furnishing are incredibly Westin (such as the Heavenly Bed) however other parts of the hotel seem a bit amateur and half-finished (loose facets in the bathroom and uneven paint in certain places).

The hotel also provides free breakfast each morning with standard watered down American coffee, bagels, burgers and wraps. Some healthier options (!!) such as yogurt and fruit are also available. One of the best aspects of this hotel is the self-service refreshment bar next to the front entrance that is available all day. Whenever you make a pit-stop to the hotel throughout the day you can quickly grab a glass of water (with orange!), tea or coffee (although the tea and coffee were available intermittently).

Element by Westin is a great, good-value concept hotel, however aside from supplying the 'Heavenly Bed's I don't understand what Westin has to do with this hotel. It is definitely not a Westin property and seems like Starwood has formed a bit of a habit of leveraging smaller chains and spin-off hotels from their bigger well-known brands (Four Points by Sheraton and A Loft by W). I

Room Tip: Request a room on one of the lower floors so that you can take the fire stairs instead of waiting, a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed at this hotel for 10 days- 5th November to 15th.
We were very impressed with how clean and fresh looking it was, and as we requested a room with a city view that just topped it off! We were on the 34th floor.
When we arrived it was quite late and we were tired after traveling to get there all day- however the staff were friendly and told us everything we needed to know. As we totted up to our floor we had no problem with the elevator. We thought one of our lights wasn't working in room because when we pressed one nothing happened then the day before we left we found out it was connected to the big lamp :) ..
We were amazed at how close everything was to get to- easy enough to get to a subway, times square, grand central, it was just such a handy location!!
The first couple of days we decided to get down for breakfast around 8, and it was busy but not manic, and during the rest of the days we didn't get down until around half 8/9 and again was busy but you still got food- i don't think its anything to worry about unless you have a fear of a lot of people around you. Excellent array of breakfast options, may i say i did indeed try everything! Toast, bagels, cereals, pastries, fruit, baps etc etc.
It wasnt until further on in the week at peak times you did have to wait for the elevators (say around 5-6 minutes and they would by pass your floor, but you'd have a smile with other people and laugh at how long it was. For instance at one point me and my boyfriend were in the elevator with a couple from Spain i think and it took us all the way down for some reason then up to our floor and we were having a right old laugh about it, because it was funny and there was nothing you could do and was only a few extra added minutes.
The bed in the room was divine- you just sink into it, (made me bit hot at times) but was lovely!! The wardrobe and drawers were spacious (didn't use all the room up!) And took us a while to figure out how to use the coffee/tea maker lol. We had a full kitchenette which was clean and very handy!! TV was great , we only watched it a few times mind. And the shower was lovey :) . The towels were a little rough but nothing too bad..
You have maids that come and clean your room everyday, they did an excellent job, and all you have to do is pop a sign on the outside of your door if you do not want to be disturbed!
They do food at night as we;l which we did partake in once, was a very friendly atmosphere and you felt so comfortable there all the time. You get free wifi you just have to accept their terms and off you go!!
When you go out of the hotel and come back once you've done what you do there is always someone at the door saying 'have a nice day' and 'welcome back' which i thought was very nice.
On the day that we were leaving we had to check out by 12, and the hotel kept out suitcases for us while we ventured out for a last few hours. They asked us if we had already transportation to the airport, we told them we would need a taxi and they told us they offer us a service and they could take us to the airport for a total of $65 that was inc tips etc , (it would of been a hell of a lot more just a normal taxi) so we took that up and we were back at the hotel for 3pm and a big massive white car pulled up and that was our ride ti the airport, the bloke put our cases in the car for us and off we went. It felt safe and secure in the car and for his generosity we gave him $70 anyway.
It was an amazing experience and would most defiantly stay at this hotel again!!! :)

P.s - You also have a air/con heater in your room that you can use if needed. We had our heater on a few times. Also has a roof top terrace which you can only access by the one elevator but worth a look, bit chilly though!!

Room Tip: Try and get a floor higher up and ask for a city view!!
2 Thank Rachel D
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great find and super location--hard to find at night with minimal signage though. Very friendly staff at the front.
It is nice to have a free breakfast in NYC (a rarity) from 7-10AM on weekends but be prepared for ravenous crowds. And when they say 10AM, it really means 950AM as they were packing up while people were still getting their food. Not enough elevators and were constantly packed. Small hallways make for loud door slamming at night/morning. Be prepared for noise.
Comfy bed and convenient fridge and microwave made it seem small but a full suite. Good size for NYC.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for only one night. The hotel is new (newer) and was nicely designed. The room had a small kitchenette with dishes etc........staff we're very nice and pleasant. Check in was quick. The parking guy was not there when I arrived so I thought that maybe no valet but there is a garage directly across the street and very easy to get in and out. The free breakfast was better than average

I have to say this was a very nice place but it is a specific product offered by Starwood and even in New York it was a little high priced ($430) for the level. There is no room service, no bar and no restaurant on the property so you have to go out to get anything....so ok it is New York but coming back to the hotel to kick back after the hectic city would be nice.....so I liked the hotel but most likely wont return as full service hotels are about the same

If you are on vacation and have family with you this would be a good choice with the small kitchen oh and the higher have a great view of lower manhattan

Room Tip: Higher room have great views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank doggo148
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great location, great views, fantastic FREE breakfast. Highly recommend this hotel, it's clean, easy to get anywhere from there. Right by Times Square, Port Authority, walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, Penn Station, MSG and the Javits Center. Nice helpful staff. My only complaint is that the elevators are S-L-O-W.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator, otherwise all the rooms are nice and quiet.
1 Thank Angela L
Michelle C, Guest Relations Manager at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Angela L-

We appreciate your patience surrounding the elevators. However, I am delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see your back soon!

Best,
Michelle
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

It was my first time in NYC, and was there attending a conference in Times Square. I chose the hotel because of it's commitment to be as environmentally friendly as possible, without skimping on style and appeal; as well as the free breakfast and happy hour (gotta budget!). I had a corner room and was pleasantly surprised with the space and how cozy it was! The street cleaners/garbage trucks at 2:30 caught me off guard the first night. I'm a light sleeper from the Midwest, so most folks probably wouldn't have heard those things. But once I knew what was going on and being high enough that it wasn't jarringly loud, I slept through the rest of the nights there. The bed was so comfortable and the decor was definitely my style. The front desk staff was so friendly, and the lobby host (?) was always ready with directions and suggestions if needed. I loved being just off the main drag because it allowed me to explore my surroundings. Each day I would go out and just walk in different directions, to see what was what. The shower is heavenly, the minimalist modern take of the faucet and sink were beautiful. The large window faced what looked like garment studios so whenever I was in the room I'd look across the way to see what I could see. I really loved that the window could be opened, which mine was most of the time, to take in the sounds of NYC and feel a little connection to the city. The breakfast was healthy...and that's not a bad thing, but I would of liked something more than breakfast sandwiches and cereal. I usually had toast or a bagel with a banana and a cup of tea. The kitchenette was great for keeping cold and reheating leftovers from dinner the night before. I can't say enough wonderful things about The Element, and plan to make it "my studio apartment" in NYC on my next trip there!

Room Tip: If I had to mention a con, it was the lighting in the bathroom. I would of liked it a little bright...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lionessktty
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Element for 10 days this month using points. So cost does not factor into this review. We are heavy Starwood users and probably spend 40-60 days a year at one brand or another. This is the first of their hotels that confuses me with its positioning. However, I am giving it four stars because the positives outweigh the negatives.

On the positive side, we have the following list: the Westin bed and bedding, which are always terrific; location within 1 block of the Times Square subway station and PATH; free internet and breakfast for all; a kitchenette, if needed; decent sized room; small but very well designed bathroom; plenty of lighting.

The primary negatives : One reviewer described the hotel as "vertically challenged" because of its small footprint. I want to expand on this, because it is the hotel's greatest issue. This hotel is 40 stories high and has only three smallish elevators. At heavy traffic times, you can watch elevators bypass your floor going in each direction. We frequently had to go up to get down, as waits would otherwise be up to 10 minutes. Fortunately, we were on holiday and didn't need to get anywhere quickly. My other prime concern is almost total lack of space to place flat clothes. No problem for hanging garments, but we had to live out of a suitcase for 10 days for underwear, sweaters, etc.

The staff was courteous and helpful; however, this is a minimal services operation without meaningful public spaces.

While we would consider staying here again, we will look at other options as well.

1 Thank DMLLosAngeles