“Good hotel but with a few issues that need to be resolved”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #301 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We were in a standard king room on the 17th floor. I could not sleep for the first 2 days because of the New York ambient noise coming from outside, especially sirens. I think that the noise was coming through the housing of the the ac unit. Perhaps a room situated higher would have been better.The room and bathroom were Ok though. We even had a kitchenette in the room which was a first for us. This hotel was one of the few New York hotels that included a breakfast - and quite decent at that. The other issue is that the 3 lifts are not enough to cater for the guests during peak times - breakfast time especially On one occasion it took me 14 minutes to manage to get on the lift. If the noise and lift problem are eliminated, I think this hotel would merit a 4 or 5 rating.

Room Tip: Not sure which is best. Most probably the higher the room the less noise...but then you will have t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Just to start out...This is a GREAT hotel. I am not sure what all the people expect that have given negative reviews. I gave it a 5 but the elevators could be a problem if you are trying to get down to the first floor fast. So... a 4.5 would be better. This was our first time to New York City and couldn't have been happier.

Location: It is a perfect location near the Theaters and Times Square and the subway. It is also a block from the bus station. We never felt threatened or uncomfortable. There are always a lot of people out and about.

Room: Our room was directly across from the elevator but we were not bothered by any noise. There is a full kitchen with dishes/pots & pans/utensils included. We came back late one afternoon and the maid had even put our dirty dishes in the dishwasher!! All the beds are king sized and extremely comfortable...pillows were great. Also, bathrooms were very clean and modern. The floor is not carpet but that is better...no stains or smells. We even turned on the air conditioner...it worked in October.

Elevators: We never waited long for an elevator. It might be a problem when you leave when everyone is trying to leave. One person made a loud moan when the elevator stopped on the 2nd floor and she couldn't get on....WALK DOWN THE STAIRS!!!

Breakfast: It was great having the breakfast provided. I don't think many hotels in NYC have this. They had hot and cold food plus fruit and yogurt. It was busy...but what do people expect when there are 40 floors of people. Always enough food and they kept refilling. We usually found a place to sit or else we went back up to our room. NO BIG DEAL!!!!

Bottom line: It's all about attitude...if you have a good one...it will come back to you!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My gf and I stay here often, and it's generally good. We like it because it's close to the subway, Penn Station, and a lot of good restaurants, and because we tend to get pretty good views. We have found the rooms comfortable and usually clean, and the kitchen is very helpful when we're there for several days. Sometimes, however, it feels too expensive - I know the location is good and it's the middle of Manhattan, but... The elevators are incredibly slow and rather small, and the lobby is much too crowded. At breakfast the lobby is impassable and disorganized. I wish I could give three and a half instead of four stars.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the end of a floor, away from the elevator. Also, higher up you get better view...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank faunboy
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I'm a picky consumer. If a product or place is poor or bad I'm not shy about speaking up. The reviews I'm reading now about how crappy this place this must have had an effect. Rarely have I experienced a staff and hotel so consumer oriented. Almost a 4 star. Clean, efficient, generous towards their guests. For a person on business or some people just on vacation there is nothing to complain about this hotel. The rooms are basic, but basic in a way that is all you'd need and the furnishings clean and modern. Great bed and bath. Excellent tv. Staff, even the housecleaners greet you with a "hello". Will I stay here again, you bet.

Room Tip: I have nothing to add about a "good room". The hotel elevators aren't big and are slow...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Academyaward
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The concept of this hotel is cool. You look at the website, read the blurbs, mull over the premise and you think: this is edgy. The price is right. It looks different. Well, I thought all those things for an overnight stay for business and was highly disappointed. I'd rather go for the Hampton Inn and know what I'm getting. The lobby is crowded and poorly designed and the elevators are beyond annoying and claustrophobic. The bedrooms feel overly sleek and uncomfortable -- nothing soft or inviting - just all hard floors (no carpet) and more the feeling that you're boarding in a library than staying in a hotel. I wish they had carried out the eco-friendly concept without going in the direction of awkward and uncomfortable. This wasn't a place that, after a long day of meetings and presentations, I felt a sigh of relief at coming back to. No, this was a place that I felt was adequate for a quick shower and freshen up, but then I was searching for ways to get out of the building again. If you're in NYC to hang out with friends and get out of your room, this might be okay. If you're in NYC for business and looking for a respite, skip it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank hope1979
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Many of the previous reviews are spot on.
Lifts are a joke. Very small, only 2 for 40 floors. You stop at nearly every floor on the way down only to see frustrated guests who can't get in.
Breakfast, another joke. A complete free for all. You need to get down there early to avoid the crowds, otherwise you fight to get food, then fight to get coffee, then fight to find somewhere to seat. Go to Starbucks or McDonald's.
The room was fine, nice size, comfy bed, handy kitchenette. Bathroom was a bit off let down, the rainfall shower was weak, and the toilet blocked up as soon as you look at it and took two days to fix. Air con didn't work either.
I wouldn't stay there again, I'd rather pay more and stay at a real hotel. This was not cheap at £270 ish a night, but I guess that's New York.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed at the Element for business over the last few weeks. It's a very comfortable stay, just slightly off Times Square. The concept seems more geared to leisure travellers (I had no need for the kitchenette for example,) but for the money, it was a good stay. I found everything to be clean and in working condition.

The only thing I would say is the come with the right expectation. This is more like a Hampton Inn than a Westin. But, it's a good value in a very good lcation. I would come back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business