“Good value, though a few complaints”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #254 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Good value, though a few complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Paid $130 on a recent Sunday night in Oct. Great price for New York at any time of year.

The block its on isn't the nicest, though its close to Port Authority and Times Sq subways.

The front desk and cleaning staff clearly need better training. They were fine, though a bit gruff and not that helpful or friendly.

The elevators are a real problem. They were very slow and I had a room across from them and beep up and down every level you pass and you can hear it in the room.

The room itself was great. Spacious, nice little kitchenette and sofa.

Overall good, but they could polish up on a few things to make it a real great place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

This hotel is located on W 39th Street, right in the middle of the garment district. Very cool, art- deco design, Scandinavia set up in the rooms. Free drinks at happy hour and free breakfast,
Parking is across the street but rather pricey, with no in-and-out privileges. Staff was wonderful. Only drawback is minimum elevators and many floors, so the wait during breakfast time could be a bit longer than expected.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

Our original stay was for 10 nights which we had prepaid for and were happy with the price. On arrival staff at front desk was informative but not very friendly. We were very pleased with our room, bed was heavenly as stated and shower luxurious, all very clean and were pleased with the full kitchenette, rooms were quite small but we did expect this. Not very many towels and no faceclothes, tv wasn't working - but these things were fixed promptly. The location was excellent very close to all neighbourhoods and within walking distance of most major attractions. However - it was nearly impossible to catch a lift between 7 and 10.30 in the morning when the free breakfast was one. Quite often had to use the stairs which was rather annoying when your on the 16th floor. One day had to carry a strangers baby down for her while my husband helped her with the pram as she had been waiting 30 minutes and the lifts were always full. This really put a damper on leaving each morning. Breakfast was average but never anywhere to sit and eat as was just served in the lobby and far too many people at it. We were stuck in NY when Hurrican Irene was due to hit - therefore had to stay at the hotel an extra two nights - absolutely disgusted with the way we were treated - were only offered an 'off the street' price - which was double what we had paid initally per night - and told its either that or feel free to look elsewhere in the city, even though we had already stayed 10 nights! We agreed to pay the price as the city was in 'lockdown'. Our rooms were not serviced as they were short staffed on those days which was expected but not at full price. On depature I spoke with the manager to complain about the way we were treated - (not so much the money - more the attitude of staff). He was sincerley apologetic refunded the extra rates immediately. So we did leave happy in the end but had really dampered the atmosphere there. Overall were pleased with our choice of location and hotel - just the staff need a few people skills.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Yeppoon, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Rooms as small but liveable
Views on the lower floors are terrible
Garbage piled up on the streets nearby
Hell noisy at night, garbage trucks, reversing beepers etc...
THE LIFTS...are inpossible to get at times, we allowed 30 mins to get down on day of check out but we had to drag all of our luggage down the fire escape from the 9th floor (great way to start a day of long haul flights)
The breakfast is terrible, went once and never returned
Spend the extra couple of $$ and stay in Time Square

Room Tip: I you must stay here get on a high floor 30 - 40. (will be hell dragging your bags down the fire esc...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed here from Thursday 1st Sept to Tue 6 Sep (5 nights).

The hotel is located in 39th St (between 8th and 9th). The location (Hell’s Kitchen) is unbeatable and you can walk to all the nearby neighbourhoods (theatre district, business district and Chelsea). I stayed in similar hotel, same street two years ago and I knew my way around pretty easy. It is not located in the middle of Times Square but close enough to walk there and pretty much anywhere.

At the time of the booking, I mistakenly booked a disabled room which in fact we did not need. We were given room 807 (Level 8 right at the corner). There was not much view from here (you could see the Authority Bus Terminal from here) but it did not bother us as we got a fantastic rate through Starwood Hotels. The room was so quiet and you could not hear a thing and it was extra spacious as it was designed for a disabled person.

As you know, breakfast is Free. Before going to the breakfast room in your first morning, please remind yourself that you are in NY as it will be crazy (it is like being in Times Square). You just need to experience this, make it fun and don’t get annoyed, especially if you are on holiday. People don’t spend time much time having breakfast as everyone want to start up the day by doing things in NY. If you can get in early, good!; If not, just grab a few things (with the tray available in the kitchen) and have your breakfast in your room.

The lift IS slow and it will stop pretty much in every level in the morning. However, if you are staying in a lower level, you can easily use the stairs (not a problem). Otherwise, you have to be patient.

The kitchenette was great, with coffee-maker and toaster. It has a good size fridge where you can storage cold drinks and food. You have also cutlery, dining plates and glasses. It is like a small service apartment.

Internet is free in the entire hotel. Unfortunately for us It was unavailable for nearly two days over the long Labour weekend while we were staying there.

I was really impressed with the gym in the basement. It is a great gym for a hotel in NY (photo), they also provide disposable head phones to listen to music with your phone/Ipod/machine. You will find the laundry-mat next to the gym.

There are 5 washing-dry machines (you will need some change to use it).

The room was cleaned daily.

We will definitely stay here in the future.

Room Tip: - disabled rooms are bigger size than a normal room. - choose a room on the corner and not a room n...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Normal check-in time is 3:00PM. I arrived at 3:30P with a line out the door and no distinction between the "regular line" and "SPG Member Line," which was almost queuing out the door. At 3:45, I was informed my room was not yet ready -- again, 45 minutes AFTER normal check-in). I had to request that my luggage be held to the side (with a bunch of other bags) while I waited patiently, rather than the porter (who was just standing idle) offer to tag my bags in assistance. No apology for the inconvenience was made to me or to anyone in line around me. As a Gold Preferred Member, I was appalled. Instead, I was advised to come back to the front desk in 20 minutes to see if a room was available.

After 20 minutes or so, I came back and was assigned a room. Both times I had dealt with either front desk rep. no eye contact was made and I was not thanked for my business. My loyalty to the Starwood brand was not acknowledged, and again there still was no apology for the inconvenience. Additionally, the rep did not make me aware of the free breakfast offered or inform me about any of the hotel's features. Instead, I had to inquire.

There were not nearly enough elevators for the amount of people in the hotel, and it took 5 minutes to get to my room. While I was on my way to my room, I spoke to a member of the housekeeping staff who looked so malnourished and tired and was tempted to buy her food and give her money. Also on my way up to my room (at this point alone), I was alone in the elevator and 2 hotel employees rode with me. Normally, staff say hi, but neither one said anything to me, thus instilling my poor impression of the hotel as a whole.

The room was what I had expected, EXCEPT I found it strange I was provided with an iron but no ironing board.

***The most infuriating aspect of my stay at Element was the fact that I had called down to request a wake-up call. Answered. Acknowledged. Done. However, I never received a wake-up call. Instead, I ran late for a meeting, which made me look unprofessional to say the least!

When I checked-out, I was asked how my stay was at which point I found it best to bite my tongue. I simply said, 'not so good.' You would think the front desk rep would have inquired (again, no eye contact), yet he did not. I had to request my folio and was not even asked to review the charges for discrepancies.

Aside from my stay at the Hilton in Houston (read review), this was 1 of 2 WORST hotel stays I have ever had. Save yourself the trouble and AVOID this place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Trekkingtheglobe_10
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

We had a week-long stay at this hotel and we could not have been happier. We were also there during Hurricane Irene and the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. Great location, spotless room, and lots at breakfast! Great spot!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple