“Nice hotel, great location”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo
Ranked #182 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This was my first stay in Soho - I go to NYC about once a year, but usually stay in Midtown or Upper East Side. So this was a whole new part of the city for me - and I loved it! In fact, it would probably be my preferred choice when I visit next. There are TONS of shops and restaurants just a few minutes walk away - really anything you could want from major brand labels to little boutiques. And the restaurants...I could spend weeks there just eating. Dominque Ansel's bakery (home of the famous cronut) is a 5-minute walk away. There's also a store that only sells rice pudding, tons of NY pizza places, Italian, health food, anything. I needed to make a quick lunch and there were a number of food trucks parked just outside. The Kimchee Taco truck was awesome! Anyway, I'm definitely sold on Soho.

As for the hotel, it was fine. Clean rooms, friendly check-in, small but nice lobby. My room was upgraded to include a sofa (still a bit small, but NYC rooms are always small). Comfortable bed, decent shower, Paul Mitchell toiletries. No complaints at all. Most importantly, it was very quiet, especially compared to some other places I've stayed at in the city. It's exactly what you'd expect from a Marriott Courtyard -- not super high-end, but perfectly comfortable and a very good value.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Sunny77777
Ashlie A, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback, I actually got hungry reading your comments :)
We are thrilled your stay was enjoyable and I must agree this is an Amazing location. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I am from New Jersey and planning on moving to NYC in the soho/tribeca area and have been staying at this hotel on and off for a couple of months now. I am starting to become familiar with the staff here. They are exceptional in every way. The hotel is in a prime location, it's immaculate, and I love staying here. The lobby has a starbucks for breakfast and some circular booths with televisions for your comfort while you relax. There is also a dunkin donuts right next door. It's in walking distance to nearly everything you could possibly want to do in NYC. Subways are all around if you want to venture uptown. This is my go to place always!! I have never encountered any type of problem at this hotel. It is just awesome all the way around!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Noelle R

Thank you very much for the comments, reading them was a perfect start to my day! I am pleased to see you enjoy your time here and although we are going to be sad to see you leave once you are relocated; we are looking forward to having you as a neighbor!! Thank you again and we will see you soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We found this hotel while staying at another property and walking by on our way into the SoHo area. No matter where we were heading, we seemed to pass this one. So we decided to stay and see if it met our needs. It did! It was a cheaper cab fare between Grand Central and hotel than where we have been staying. That was a good beginning.

The room was very comfortable, and amenities almost all that were needed. There is only a shower in case you are a bathtub soaker. The "restaurant" seems to be more of a reheat location than an actual full service restaurant. I must also say that a we only looked at the menu and the area. We did not eat there.

We would definitely return.

Room Tip: There are courtyard and city view rooms depending upon your preference. We had a street side view an...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Henry D

Thank you very much for your feedback, as it is a huge contribution to our overall success. I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay and am excited to share your comments with the staff. I would like to mention that we do in fact have rooms that have a bathtub, they are our double rooms with the two queen beds. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed here for a few days for a last minute business trip. My first impression of the hotel was small but otherwise up to Marriott standards.

Check-in was easy and fast. Security begins at the elevator with card access to reach each floor, which is reassuring.

Unfortunately, my assigned room faced the back alley and felt depressing...so I immediately called back to the front desk and was thankfully re-assigned a room which faced the street. Now i understand it's NYC but shame on hotels offering rooms with alley views. Had I not be moved to another room I would have relocated to another hotel.

The room itself was typical NYC small, but the bed was Marriott comfortable and the room was clean.

As I explored the hotel I came across the terrace on the second floor. It appeared to be an inviting place initially, then you open the frosted glass doors to what looked to be a storage area for laundry carts and luggage. Next stop the gym. So the gym is located in the basement, accessible by stairs or a separate elevator. Great little gym, with modern equipment and free weights.

The staff is friendly, attentive and provided useful tips on the local surrounding area.

The location/proximity to the surrounding SoHo is really the greatest asset for this hotel.

Decent hotel for business trips, but not not my top choice in terms of value.

Room Tip: Request room which faces the street, and higher floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank P0nomo
Nicholas P, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear our SoHo location worked for your needs while in NYC. I was sorry to read the first room you were given didn't meet your expectation but I'm glad our staff was able to assist you with a more satisfactory room. We do hope you visit with us again when in New York.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I visited New York for St Patricks weekend with my boyfriend. We arrived early afternoon and we were shown straight to our room. We were very impressed with the room having visited NY twice before this. We were on the 12th floor, no noise from outside and our double room was a great size and very clean. The hotel is located right next to the subway which was great. If you are wanting to visit a lot of the sites and attractions I would recommend to get a weeks unlimited pass for $30 each as it's $2.50 each for every single trip and this can be costly without the pass. It takes less than ten minutes to get up to Central Park. Right near the hotel is the fire museum which is worth a visit. We visited Brooklyn Bridge we took a cab from the hotel which cost 5 dollars. I would recommend walking over the bridge the views are amazing plus you can see the statue of liberty (obviously a very small version) the bridge is very close to city hall and the world trade centres/ hope tower site, all within walking distance. A great part of NY to visit. You can just hop on the number 1 train to get back to the hotel. The staff were great at the hotel. They recommended a breakfast at 'four chairs' the pancakes are lush! They were always friendly at any point of the day. They organised our pick up to take us to the airport and this was a great price of $55. He took us a quick route so we were able to leave a little later. You can print your boarding passes at the hotel which was great as this saved time at the airport. This hotel is great if you are looking to explore NY's culture and sites. Soho is great for shopping and you are about 10-15 minutes walking distance from the shops.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank makyla21

Thank you for providing feedback on our hotel about you recent stay in NYC. I am thrilled to hear our central location to many of NYC's top attractions and our close proximity to the subway helped make it a good trip. We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Clean, neat and decent lobby. Has a breakfast Starbucks setup with drinks at night. Room was super right and tiny and views from 20th floor despite being platinum were horrible.
Frankly getting tired of marriotts poor upgrade efforts for platinum guests.
Small market in lobby with over priced water etc. voss water in room was $5- yikes!
For the area and NYC overall a 3 vs a 4 given style, ambiance, price and location. One block to Houston at metro 1 station

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank dssrriri
Nicholas P, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at the Courtyard Manhattan SoHo. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the lobby and Starbucks option available in the lobby. I am sorry to hear the room and view didn't meet your expectation. Our goal is to satisfy every guest and feedback like this will assist us in these efforts. We hope we can have you back in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This trip was a surprise once in a life time 60th birthday present for my mum.
And what a great trip it was.

Only thing I wasn't aware of was the 100$ deposit needed at check in. The rest was plane sailing.

Location
A perfect location for all travellers. Either an hours walk to times square or to ground zero.
Or immediately nearby was the subway where you could go anywhere in Manhattan for only
2.5$. Nearby are a few restaurants and bars for a few drinks out in Soho. Plenty of taxis outside and even a dunkin donuts next door.

Staff
Very attentive excellent staff. Great service and excellent local knowledge. Especially Greg and Maritza. Who kindly as a great welcome and a birthday treat for my mum gave us a free welcome drink from the bar. All through out our stay the staff were excellent nothing was to much them. If we needed extra tea bags and coffee for our room they appeared immediately day or night. The staff also genuinely care about each and every guest. As I went down to reception without a coat and I was advised to return to my room and get my coat as it was very cold outside. I'm really glad I did as it was very cold on that particular day. A very pleasant atmosphere and felt like it was a home away from home.

Reception / Bar
Great modern reception with a live touch screen plasma TV with local information and also
live airport arrival departure details and local attractions, news and weather. Also there was a small library plus a airport check in area where you can check in to your flight and print your boarding cards. All very quick and convenient. Get a picture next to the green wall and use your flash for a unique photo. The bar area is very nice and has plenty of places to have a seat. Plenty on the menu and also serves food as well. You can charge drinks and food to your room and pay at the end of your stay too.

Rooms
This was one thing that before we travelled I was worrying about. As my mum never has a good nights sleep other then in her own bed at home. Our room was 2 double beds nice and spacious rooms with a nice large TV. A desk and chair also In the room. There are tea and coffee making
also in the room. There is limited storage space for hanging up closes but a few draws available.
We also had an iron and board in the room too. The bathroom was very clean and had a shower over the bath. The hotel had supplied some wash products too. The beds were extremely comfortable and my mum slept like a baby. So did not need to worry. She actually wanted to take the bed and pillows home to replace her bed. We had to use the phone a few times to call and confirm our excursions and this was very cheap.

Gym
The hotel has a small gym with a few treadmills and cross trainers and a few weights too. Also offers small bottles of water for free. Nice clean place to work out.

WIFI
Each room has their own code and this allows you free access to the WIFI. All over the hotel.

Security
This really impressed me. Not only was there always 2 - 3 reception staff on day or night. But to actually go anywhere in the lift you needed to use your room key. You also used your room key to enter the gym.

We had an amazing first time trip to New York and loved everything about it. Yes we will be back.

Room Tip: we asked for a high floor room and a view. We also emailed and called with our requests prior to de...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Nicholas P, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We are so glad to hear the birthday surprise was a success. We are also glad our location near many of NYC's top attractions worked for you. I will also be sure to recognize Maritza and Greg for their hard work.