“Four Season Service, Marriott Cleanliness, Lush Bedding and Ideally Located”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo
Ranked #184 of 468 Hotels in New York City
san diego
“Four Season Service, Marriott Cleanliness, Lush Bedding and Ideally Located”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I just returned from NYC and the Courtyard. The staff makes all of the difference. Unbelievably friendly and helpful without the insincere friendly formality of many hotel staff at other hotels. The staff is bright, enthusiastic and warm.

The rooms are smaller than other Marriot Hotels in NYC, including the Maquis and the Downtown Marriott. But it's in no way confining. It was perfect, clean and quiet. It is literally steps from the 1 line, which makes for incredible access to anywhere in the city.

This hotel may now be my home base while visiting NYC.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Try to forget the Courtyard brand, this is a terrific hotel in a fabulous location. Not the height of posh, but clean, safe, and very friendly. It may not seem to be the best location on a map, but it is so close to so many wonderful options: SoHo shopping, great restaurants, Hudson River, the Village, etc. etc. The staff was helpful, courteous, and seemed proud of "their" hotel. The rooms are typically New York small, but the prices are just fine. The new Trump SoHo is a block away, but more than triple the price. You won't go wrong staying here, no matter what part of this great city you want to explore.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be quieter, some have views of mid-town.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BearZee
Dearborn, MI
Reviewed October 24, 2011

When I booked this hotel I was flabbergasted that I would end up paying nearly $400 a night (including tax) for a Courtyard. But after doing my research, I really couldn't fault the hotel. That was turned out to be par for the course in NYC in October. In the end, I was REALLY pleased with my stay.

1. Great location. I am very much a fan of lower Manhattan, vs uptown. If you wish to go uptown though, the subway is directly across the street. From the hotel, the center of SoHo is an easy walk to your right (SE) and the Village is directly north (left) so the location couldn't be better. Chelsea is a mere 3 stops away on the subway. Downtown/Chinatown/TriBeca and Little Italy all a stone's throw...and the East Village accessible.

2. The staff was OUTSTANDING. I arrived on a wet and rainy night. When I left for dinner an umbrella was provided and the staff let me stand inside while they hailed a cab in the driving rain. They provided excellent suggestions and directions. They remembered me as I came and went. When I needed anything in the room it was delivered cheerfully and followed up with a call to ensure my needs were met. This is all notable because I stay at a lot of Marriott properties and not even my experience with the Marriott Renaissance staff in various locations hasn't been this friendly or personable.

3. I don't really agree that the rooms are that small. For NYC it seemed just fine. The room was impeccably clean and effective use of space. I had a king sized bed, comfy chair/ottoman/desk and it was fine. Nice sized wardrobe. Bathroom was great (fantastic giant shower). Even with 2 people in the room is was fine. If I compare it to rooms in other cities---it's apples to oranges. From everything I'd read about NYC rooms I was expecting a shoe box. It was not. I had no issue with street noise (it's NYC) or AC/heat noise.

Overall, it was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. And while I'm a sucker for REALLY nice luxury hotels....I'd pick this one over many others in the future because if I can FEEL like I'm in a luxury hotel and pay a few hundred dollars a night less and be in an ideal spot with friendly staff...why wouldn't I?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Kate F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This is a typical Marriot property which means it is clean and well run Rooms are small, beds are comfortable - our bathroom had a tub big enough for a nice soak after walking in nyc all day - the hotel is less than half a block from a subway stop for those who want to travel underground Small basic restaurant in the lobby but lots of nice places to eat for reasonable prices in the neighborhood and a short walk to the village, Chinatown and Little Italy There is free wifi which is nice

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank fogsmom
London
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We got a very good deal on four nights at the Courtyard and we couldn’t really fault it.

The positives:

The staff really stood out for us. They were exceptionally knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Checking in and out was a complete breeze (no more than 5 minutes total). We were considering taking public transport back to the airport which the front desk advised against (we had large bags and it was very hot for October) instead they were able to book a town car for $65 (inc tolls) which turned out to be money well spent.

The location: you are right in the heart of SoHo and are no more than a 10-20 minute walk away from Chelsea, Greenwich and Chinatown. We actually walked downtown one day (this took about 40 mins). If walking is not your thing, the subway line no. 1 (Houston Station) is literally a stone’s throw away and this will take you both downtown or uptown in only few stops.

The rooms: the hotel is relatively new so the furniture and finishes are modern and fresh. We had a king size room on the 8th floor and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The room has a flatscreen tv with loads of channels, ipod doc, free wifi, coffee/tea maker, desk area and a mini fridge.

The lobby: there are a couple of PCs in the lobby area for using the internet, as well as a couple of PCs especially allocated for printing off boarding passes so you don’t have to bug reception. There are also big sofa areas for waiting around, a bar and a small ‘market’ where you can buy snacks for the day ahead. You can also order hot snacks from the bar.

The negatives:

I can’t stress how minor these are but annoying nonetheless.

Our room was on the 8th floor but you can still hear street noise (this might be a problem on the lower floors so take earplugs if you are a light sleeper).

We bought a couple of beers in the downstairs bar that were $9 each! I had to sit down when I heard how much they cost but this seems to be standard for hotels - there is a supermarket not too far away where you can buy six for $9 so do that instead (there is a pizzeria across the road too).

The aircon in our room was so loud that we couldn’t sleep comfortably through it so we just left it on full before we went to bed and then shut it off.

The water pressure in the shower wasn’t great, again, very minor and not serious as the shower was huge and clean!

All in all, we had a fabulous trip and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again! Thanks again to the fantastic staff who made our stay stress-free.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors to get a better view and less street noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Meg0417
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 26, 2011

If you are staying in SOHO this property is in a good location. Its further away from Broadway than the Holiday Inn. It is also nicer but is usually more expensive than the Holiday Inn in SOHO.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank dtanpcs
Franklin, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We were able to get a nice deal on this hotel for a whirlwind NYC visit. It's tall and narrow with just a few rooms on each floor. There isn't a lot of wasted space on corridors. It was opposite a subway stop and it was easy to find taxis when we wanted to use them. Our room (King) wasn't huge, but the bed was comfortable, the blackout curtains worked and we had a very large shower in the modern bathroom. We weren't interested in staying in our room long because we were there to tour, but it was just fine when we were. All of the front desk employees were lovely, whatever the time of day or night, and helpful. I thought NYC was filled with bad tempered people....wrong! I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family