“not so hot”
Review of Rum and Blackbird - CLOSED

Rum and Blackbird
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I've tasted better and there wasn't enough food on this tour.
And it wasn't the " tastiest tour you'll ever walk into" For a few dollars less, there are better tours out there.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have been on a few food tours in NYC and this one is by far my favorite. Melanie, the tour guide, did a great job of explaining the history of the area and also highlighting the "foodie" facts within Hell's Kitchen. Enjoyed most of the food stops, however, I did not find the "taco" tasting to be anything exciting or out of the ordinary. I would change that one small thing - but otherwise, an outstanding tour!

Looking forward to other tours that Run and Blackbird may offer.

1  Thank muklh12
Reviewed June 17, 2011

To preface this review: I am not a foodie. But I do like to eat.
My friend who accompanied me is much more into the "foodie" scene. And still, we both had an enjoyable time.

It was a great way to see Hell's Kitchen and learn a bit about the neighbourhood, as well as taste some local treats. All the restaurants we visited were on the faster-side of food (no fine dining), but all were local gems run by moms and pops and people who are passionate about what they do, and put a lot of creativity and quality into their work.
To be honest, all the food was fantastic (even if I wish there was a little more of it, especially near the beginning of the tour).

Its a fun way to spend an afternoon in NYC.

1  Thank ZGraf
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We had Melanie as our tasting tour guide. She was super enthusiastic about the area, the food and the history of Hell's Kitchen. As native New Yorkers, we learned a lot and now have been introduced and will patron new great restaurants in Hell's Kitchen. So happy we did this tour. It is great for tourists and locals alike.

1  Thank mismissy
See more reviews
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We've lived in the city for over 2 years, and it took that long for us to get out and do a food tour. Thank goodness for motivated out-of-town guests. This tour was really fun and totally delicious. Moira is a great guide, with lots of expertise about the area and about food in general. In fact, four hours after the tour finished, we went BACK to one of the spots for dinner... because we couldn't get it out of our minds! Still dreaming about cornmeal empanadas with sweet/spicy dipping sauce. Highly recommend.