“It was good for the price but next time I'll chose something else”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Little Apple Manhattan Inn
Ranked #41 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed there for 3 days. It's quite far from the NYC centre - just over an hour by metro. It is not that bad considering we only made this trip twice a day - leaving the B&B in the morning and coming back in the evening. However, next time I go to NYC I'll chose something closer to the city centre as I didn't enjoy the neighborhood around the Little Apple especially coming back late at night (make sure you take the correct metro line! :))
Another thing I didn't like about Little Apple B&B - it wasn't clean. Bathroom looked like typical male student's bathroom - it needed a thorough clean. And when I looked under the bed (just to check whether we've forgotten something) - there was a thick layer of dust! I don't think it's that difficult to hoover under the bed once or twice a month!
Another problem was when the toilette broke the day before we were leaving. We had to hold until we reached city centre to go to the toilette somewhere in the cafe. It didn't look like the owner was in a hurry to fix the toilette.
So, if you are short on cash stay in Little Apple, if you have a bit more - find something cleaner and a bit closer to centre.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Olgunya

Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed at one of the locations in Astoria (Queens) for 2 weeks.

To sum it up: really good value for money if you don’t mind travelling 10-15 minutes on the MTA (taxi takes same time) to Manhattan.

The apartments on offer are located directly at the subway station. The interior, look and atmosphere are a bit like a student’s apartment and you find a home far away from home here. It’s not like other hotels (or B&Bs) in Manhattan where we have been to, which were in comparison absolute dirt holes for more money. Therefore, this place is especially recommendable for travelers who are looking for another kind of accommodation and who love their freedom, e.g. the freedom to cook on their own or get the feeling what it would be like to live as a real local in NYC. And last but not least, the host is a great guy!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theTravellersMandM
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed here for a long weekend in October and it was fantastic! Great place in a great location.... Rooms were clean, host was very friendly and helpful. I'll definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I stayed in Little Apple for a week, during my visit to NYC. I have greatly enjoyed my stay in the appartment. Very nicely decorated, great eye for detail and the personal touch really contributed to an amazing experience. To conclude; good value for money, highly unique and great hospitality by the host.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anne-Aafje
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at Little Apple NYC. I have stayed at a lot of hotels the world over but this was my first experience with B&B/homestyle accommodation. I had been traveling in USA for quite a while before coming to NYC and I was very happy to spend four nights here. It was homely and relaxing and a positive contrast to the hotels I had stayed in previous nights. If your room faces Broadway it might occasionally be a little noisy but that is easily overcome. The internet connection was intermittent however I managed to get done what I needed. Accessibility is great - it is convenient to LGA and JFK airports. The number 1 subway line runs right under the street out front so access to Times Square is only a matter of minutes.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Cole C
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We found only 3 good things about “Little Apple” Manhattan (room 4) - reasonable pricing, close to a subway station and painted walls. Everything else we experienced entirely offset those features and I do not recommend this hotel.
First of all, I do not have any idea why they call this place a hotel. It is a bunch of 4-5 rooms with common entrance that share 1 bath and kitchen. When you arrive you won’t see the name “Little Apple” at the entrance or even at the bell label. The first feeling is that someone is subletting his room, nothing hotel-like arround. Nobody meets the guests. The “hotel” person, named Mavinga, called us before we arrived in NYC and asked us to find some guy at the shop he worked to get our keys. I told her that it does not sound reasonable on our arrival in NYC to travel around with the luggage to get our room keys. She suggested getting a cab and paying for that, or we might come after 8.45 pm when somebody would be there with the keys. We arrived at 8.15 pm and waited until 8.50 but nobody showed up. We called the hotel number from the web (there is another location in different city) and they arranged somebody to come and give us the keys.
ISSUES WITH THE ROOM:
• Smell. All over the “hotel” and our room you can feel strong unpleasant smell of old building. Although our room looked fresh and nicely painted, this specific smell is everywhere. It is in the mattresses, too, and even my T-shirt smelled alike in the morning.
• No screens on the windows – welcome to all insects;
• No windows noise insulation. You sleep practically on the street, and you have buses and trucks engines working 30 feet away from your ears – where the major street is.
• Windows were extremely dirty – no luck to enjoy the view. It is difficult to open the window, it is hard to move them up and down;
• Dust under the bed; visible as ball of dust around some of the bed legs;
• Lamp bulb cover with dust/dead insects inside;
BATHROOM ISSUES:
• Dirty yellow stuff collected in the corners;
• First day the bath tub got clogged while we were taking a bath. You splash in 5-7” dirty water from your body. Next day we complained and they fixed it.
• 10-12” waste disposal in a bathroom for 4 families in a “hotel” does not look serious. The waste disposal cannot be opened by foot. You need to grab with one hand (as all other 4 families) and throw your garbage with the other. Please, buy normal, bigger trash disposal for $10, and do not terrorize those 4 families with this $2 cheap trash can.
OTHER ISSUES:
Internet access was not provided although advertised. We did not have internet access although followed the login instructions left. A guy engaged with the hotel explained that there were problem with the cable company. So no luck!
Our room keys did not work. The next day we could not lock our room door on our way out so we called Fabrice. He did not pick up the phone and we left him a message. Nobody called back so we got our more expensive things and left our room door unlocked for the whole day. We “enjoyed” walking around the city with extra stuff in our backpacks because of the nonworking keys “the hotel” provided. When we returned back at around 7 pm, Fabrice was waiting with the original keys. He asked us why we had not called him (?!?) and explained that something with his phone was wrong and that’s why he did not returned my call. He said the problem happened because we did not go to Dillon the day before to get the original keys and he had to give us the spare keys. Does not it sound impudently to ask your guests on arriving to travel with their luggage to find their room keys, then you gave them keys that did not work, then you did not answer the phone and did not call back all day after received your guests message; guests go sightseeing with their belongings, and at night they are explained that the problem happened because they did not travel to some place the first day to get their room keys from some guy?
In conclusion, the best feature of Little Apple is the low price. But when you pay around $150 a day you do not expect the above issues. We regret we cannot say that we enjoyed our stay in the Little Apple Manhattan.
See the pictures for all things I state here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank NaskoCh
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I booked to stay here for a week in August. The booking was made 3 months in advance, however even though I had paid the deposit and had an invoice stating my room number in Manhattan-the innkeeper tried to put me in Astoria or a different b and b all together at an extra cost of $200 to me. He refused to honour by original booking even though I had the paperwork to prove it. You have been warned-I was told this with a weeks notice to find a new place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business