Book In Advance

from $35.00
from $24.95
from $70.00
1,616 results
All reviews canal street cheap souvenirs dumplings new york souvenir shops t shirts walk around times square culture haggle nyc sunglasses mulberry bargains jewelry vendors subway
Reviewed yesterday

Very busy with people everywhere, stalls selling everything you could imagine. Everything did seem a little bit run down but I think it is because there are so many people in a small area. It felt very authentic. Wished we stopped for some food but we were in a rush :(

Reviewed 1 week ago

Chinatown in NYC was fantastic. It very real, very authentic. We had some very good food and found some great shopping bargains. Chinatown is like stepping back in time. It is very busy area, so you must pay attention to what is going on. I enjoyed all of the signs and store fronts. There is a lot of things to see and do in china town.
The only thing that annoyed me, was every block someone was asking me to buy a watch. Having said that I can't fault someone for wanting to make a living. Just don't engage in conversation with them, unless you desire to buy a watch. I would suggest visiting and eating in china town when visiting NYC.

1  Thank Randy S
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly parts do have a bit of a rundown feel but not in an unsafe way. It felt authentic as well with a large Chinese community going about there day to day lives and all the shops selling Asian produce and live fish to dried foods. We even came across a small park full of locals singing and dancing to Chinese traditional songs and playing games. I say this as we visited Chinatown in Washington DC and that’s a big disappointment. Some reviews talk about being hassled we were never hassled by sellers on the street. It’s worth the visit.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Chinatown is a quarter of New York City that has over the years become very much a way of life in this city.

Lots of Chinese shops selling a variety of things like souvenirs, clothes, fresh vegetable produce, and fresh sea food. Lots of cafes and restaurants too.

It feels surreal at times as you walk through. At times, I felt I was not in America. Like Chinatowns in other cities in the world, the New York Chinatown, has its own identity.

Some parts could do with a proper spruce up. other parts are okay.

There are quite a few dim sum places here. There were a few street sellers selling not so real items. Just ignore them.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I enjoyed walking around and seeing all the fish markets and produce vendors. I didn't think this area of NYC was dirtier than any other as some reviews stated. In fact, some streets were cleaner and I did not see any homeless people here. No one tried to sell us anything on the street. There are lots of good Dim Sum restaurants - we found 3 on Elizabeth St and enjoyed a great and affordable lunch with excellent service. I think Chinatown has mostly eclipsed what used to be Little Italy but in our experience, the Italian restaurants have taken over Midtown!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It's not glitzy, but it has a real gritty original feeling about it. It is, in a way, similar to walking through parts of China (the parts that are not pretty-upped for tourists). Chinatown is more for the local Chinese than it is for the visitors. That makes it a real different experience that doesn't feel like Disney. The neighborhood is changing with a large influx of Chinese from Mainland China. Traditionally, the original NY Chinatown was more reflective of the culture from Guangdong Province in Southern China. With time, more influence came from Hong Kong, then Fujian Province, and now from all parts of China. Also rising rents have dispersed some of the original residents and new immigrants to other Chinatowns in Queens and Brooklyn primarily. But Chinatown is still densely populated and still has a real China feel about it. There are lots of tourist-oriented stores with cheap souvenirs, but there are many good small restaurants and local Chinese businesses. There is also a very vibrant commercial area with mainline Chinese businesses (including banks and professionals). A real taste of China in New York. We visited Chinatown as part of "Free Tours by Foot."

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was the worst area we visited in Manhattan. Lots of trash blowing around, lots of graffiti, and the people bugging the crap out of you selling knock off Gucci and Louis Vuitton bags and fake watches were so annoying! There were people on both sides of every sidewalk about every 5 feet- seriously- showing you all the same fake bags or watches. It was interesting to hear the total change in environment to a lot of people speaking Asian languages, and to see the signs all in Asian languages-but the storefront and restaurants all looked so filthy on the outside that we didn’t bother even going in to eat. I was very disappointed.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After living in Shanghai and Beijing, this area brings me back to living in China. If this is the closest you will ever get to China, please go! Choose a little hole in wall place to eat!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

See it and forget it.
The signs and restaurants looks like several places in China - smelly and dirty.
There is not much good to say about this area, we couldn't wait to get out.
So enter if you are curious or find better places in New York.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As far as Chinatowns are concerned this one is not one of my favourites. A bit anonymous . But there a couple of nice Buddhist temples.