“Something different.. that made me laugh. Funny that!”

New York Comedy Club
Ranked #25 of 153 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New York Comedy Club has been serving up the best comedy in the city to the Gramercy neighborhood and all of Manhattan since 1989. The classic brick wall behind the stage, candlelit showroom and traditional drink menu all pay tribute to its legacy. Under new ownership since 2014, NYCC still features the best comedians in the city 7 nights a week, plus an updated front bar with pre- and post-show drink specials and whole new fun, anything-can-happen vibe. Our regulars include Andrew Schulz, Christian Finnegan, Sherrod Small, Kurt Metzger, Ari Shaffir, Ricky Velez, Yamaneika Saunders, Carmen Lynch, Sarah Tollemache, Emma Willman, James Mattern, Aaron Berg, Mike Cannon, Jon Laster, Josh Gondelman, Matt Pavich, Matt Richards, Corinne Fisher, Krystyna Hutchinson,Wendi Starling, Liza Treyger, Mike Lawrence, Gary Vider, Phil Hanley, Sam Morril, Joe Machi, Joe List, Bonnie McFarlane, Subhah Agarwal, Kate Wolff, Lenny Marcus, Pat Dixon, Chuck Nice and more
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We enjoyed our visit to the comedy club, if nothing else something differnt to do in NYC that is relatively affordable given the low cover charge. It is difficult to give a star rating to the comedy club as it would normally depend on the acts themselves, but we had a good night all round and everyone really enjoyed it. Pretty grass comedy action really so you would not want to affend easily otherwise this place is not really the one for you as far as politically correctness goes. Either way enjoy it.

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I made a reservation for 4 to go to the Comedy Club to cap off a night of celebrating a friend's 30th Birthday. I emailed the address posted on their website to ask the best way to make reservations and received a response indicating I should email (--). I did so and received a response, confirming the reservation.

However, when we arrived the bouncer-like gentleman at the door would not let us in. We asked if we could at least go into the bar area to have a drink. He told us no and that we had to wait outside and would be allowed in shortly. After that, a man who introduced himself as "Hector, the producer" approached our group and said that there were no reservations made and the show was being cancelled. I showed him my reservation confirmation email on my blackberry and he began arguing with me and said that because I had not emailed him directly, the confirmation didn't count. He then gave me a convoluted number of steps to follow to reach his personal email (none of which involved clicking the "contact us" link on their page or calling the reservation phone number - which by the way had no answer when I called it).

After an argument with Hector one of the guys in our party suggested I give up so we left. No apology. Nothing. Just Hector arguging with me that a reservation hadn't been made so we couldn't come in - even after I showed him the reservation AND comfirmation.

My gut reaction was that that the racial make-up of our party was unacceptible to Hector based on the other couple that was allowed in to the bar. However, I can't say for sure this was the reason for our denied access...just a hunch.

How crappy.

All, in all, I can't say if their comedy is good because they wouldn't let us in! Not even to spend money buying drinks. But I can tell you, apparently confirmed reservations mean nothing at this hole-in-the-wall and Hector is a crappy crappy "producer".

4  Thank lseldo1
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I visit alot of comedy clubs in nyc and by far this was my favorite. It has such a new york vibe to it. its small and itimate. Its a good old fashion comedy club. The bar is in the front and the room is in the back. The drinks are cheap compared to other clubs. The box office chick on friday (the day i went) is friendly and funny. The comedians on the 10PM show were great too.

Reviewed January 8, 2007

We went to the New York Comedy Club on New Year's Eve as an alternative to Times Square and overpriced clubs with jacked up cover charges. They had a very good New Year's Eve deal, $50 with an open bar, a relative bargain for Manhattan on New Year's Eve. We go to comedy clubs often, and this wasn't the the large new suburban Funny Bone type club that we are used to. It's very small and very crowded, but we were seated with some very nice people and had a good time talking with them. The headliner wasn't that funny, but the two opening acts were and the third (I wish I could remember his name) was hillarious and worth the price of admission by himself. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The open bar left a little bit to be desired mostly because they were understaffed. The waitress only got to us twice during the hour and a half show, but they also had a champagne toast at midnight. It was the best New Year's Eve we have had in many years.

1  Thank haasmail2006
Emilio S, Owner at New York Comedy Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2015

We are under NEW OWNERSHIP! If you had fun in 2007 , come and check us out again soon!

Best,
Emilio
Owner
New York Comedy Club

Reviewed December 11, 2006

I went out with a few friends for a birthday and we went to New York Comedy Club after dinner. We went on a Saturday to a 10pm show, (that started on time) that was super busy and we had an such an awesome time. The atmosphere was laid back, i thought the staff themselves were pretty funny and pretty nice and the drinks were on that inexpensive side surprising in NYC and the comedy... we literally laughed so hard, we cried. There were 4 guys, and the host. I don't know what this guy is talking about, but when order something and it comes with "chips" in America you get, potato chips!! But enough of that idiot, us girls had a blast, and we definitely recommend it. I've had my share of other comedy clubs in NYC, which someone were nicer then others but really they were ultra expensive. We had an amazing time, and plan on going back.

2  Thank rmse

Thank You for your positive response! Though it has been a while since posting your review.. we would love to have you back!

We are new owners and the club is even better now!!!

Best,