“Bit of a rip off”

New York Comedy Club
Ranked #23 of 147 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New York Comedy Club has been serving up the best comedy in the city to the Gramercy neighborhood and all of Manhattan since 1989. The classic brick wall behind the stage, candlelit showroom and traditional drink menu all pay tribute to its legacy. Under new ownership since 2014, NYCC still features the best comedians in the city 7 nights a week, plus an updated front bar with pre- and post-show drink specials and whole new fun, anything-can-happen vibe. Our regulars include Andrew Schulz, Christian Finnegan, Sherrod Small, Kurt Metzger, Ari Shaffir, Ricky Velez, Yamaneika Saunders, Carmen Lynch, Sarah Tollemache, Emma Willman, James Mattern, Aaron Berg, Mike Cannon, Jon Laster, Josh Gondelman, Matt Pavich, Matt Richards, Corinne Fisher, Krystyna Hutchinson,Wendi Starling, Liza Treyger, Mike Lawrence, Gary Vider, Phil Hanley, Sam Morril, Joe Machi, Joe List, Bonnie McFarlane, Subhah Agarwal, Kate Wolff, Lenny Marcus, Pat Dixon, Chuck Nice and more
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Guernsey, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Bit of a rip off”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We visited the New York Comedy Club in December 2012 and although we enjoyed the patter from the guy who sold us the ticket we were not so impressed with the club being "just off broadway"- a good 25 blocks off in fact. We really enjoyed the comedians but the $42 dollar bill at the end was less impressive- particularly with the aggressive waitress demanding we order a second drink. The comedy was great, the atmosphere less so- I would recommend a visit because the comedians were well versed just be prepared to be ripped off with an orange juice.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Tika K

West Sand Lake, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Lots of comics”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was inexpensive and fun, great seats for everyone, some good some only so-so - you just never know.... just what I like about a NYC club. Drinks were a rip off - jack and coke $12 each for a tiny one, but it was strong at least.....

Visited September 2012
1 Thank kristenesq
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Mixed feelings, funny enough, but basically a money machine”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Me and my wife were stopped by a young man on Times Square who convinced us to go see the show. He started off at $20/ticket, but ended at $15/ticket (can be purchased for $10/ticket apparently). He described the whole experience as family friendly, with an intimate and personal environment. Each group/couple would get a personal table and get a great show. After we purchased the tickets, we noticed the 2 drink minimum, which we probably would have bought anyway, but information like this should be provided up front.

The ticket requested that people showed up 30 minutes before the show begian, but we were running late and almost ran to get there on time. We got there 25 minutes before the show began and waited for approximately 45 minutes outside!!! I recall one of the salesmen telling people to go to the show to get out of the rain. Not sure how that was supposed to work... This was the first show of the day, so I am not sure how it could be delayed. There was also no reason to stand in line, cause several people walked straight up to the entrance without anyone saying anything.

Going in, we were directed to seats by one guy and just before we sat down another guy rudely told us to sit in other seats. When I tried saying we were told to sit there, he replied almost yelling, "...well now I'm telling you to sit there!!!". We got our own table as promised and it truly was very personal and intimate. The table was a little larger than a two by one and I was "intimately" rubbing shoulders with both my neighbours on the next tables. The place was packed and like someone pointed out in another review, definitively a fire hazard.

At this point some of the guests simply left and we considered following them, but decided to give the first standup a chance. The first comedian was hilarious and we decided to stay (Tony Woods). In general I would say half of the comedians were funny. We alternated from screaming of laughter to just chuckling a little.

The waiter was nice enough, but at one point I got tired of waiting and went to the bar, but the bartender scolded me and told me to get back in and wait for the waiter.

To summarise, I don't regret having gone there, but I will never go again and not necessarily recommend it. Comedy was fairly good, but I don't have much positive to say about the place itself. There are other places to go for comedy.

Visited July 2012
West Orange, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will come back!!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I had such a wonderful time on a Friday night. The club its self sells out really fast and it was an intimate setting. Don't expect a giant place but I felt the NYC vibe. The staff even gave us free tickets to come back and we will with friends! Thanks!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank dara c
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Torn between giving a good review and a bad review”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Its hard to rate a comedy club because a lot depends on which comedians are performing on a night you go. The reason I really WANT to give this club a good review is because of 1) the person who sold us tickets & 2) because of the hilarious comedians we saw. I'll start from the beginning and say I often visit New York with my husband. We always love the night life and enjoy all the many things New York has to offer. After dinner one night we were trying to decide on a bar or something to do when we got approached by someone selling New York Comedy Club tickets. The guy was super nice and upfront told us about the two drink minimum (per person). We only had 15 minutes until the show started and was worried about finding the club in time. The guy was nice enough to walk us more than serveral blocks to the club and even walked us inside and waiting with us to get the tickets and get checked in. We found seats, fairly close to the stage, and waited for the waitress to come over. We were ready to drink and have a good time. The waitress took forever to come over to us; we ordered two beers (one beer each); and it took forever for her to bring them to us. We decided the next time she came around we would oder two more beers each so we could just enjoy the show without waiting for more drinks. (In case your not keeping track thats a total of six beers; three for me and three for my husband). Judging from some of the other reviews we obviously chose a great night to attend a show. The comedians were a riot and the crowd was engaged and the individuals who were singled out went along with all the jokes directed at them! The venue was intimate which personally I enjoyed, however an update or renovation wouldn't hurt, and the cleanliness was much to be desired. As far as the restrooms were concerned; lets just say-- Had I not already been three beers deep I probably wouldn't have used the ladies rooms. So my low 2 star review is in part because of the venue. However, my review is mostly due to the bill. When we finally got our bill for a total of six beers it was roughly $85.40. Now there was a difference in price for my corona and my husbands budlight beers, but for average each beer was roughly $11. ---Okay so I know beers in NYC aren't always cheap, and then there was tax of course. But they automatically charged a 20% gratuity fee. 20 percent??? Really?? Obviously we planned on tipping the waitress; but to assume she earned 20% is out of this world. She only served us twice; and both times she took FOREVER!!! and even when our first beers were gone she walked by us three times (within 15 minutes) without even asking us if we needed or wanted anything. Finally I was the one who had to stop and grab her attention. Now the tickets were cheap. $20 for two. But even if we just got four drinks (the 2 drink minimum) our drink bill still would have been high. And when you add $20 for the tickets to the manditory drink bill, essentially you end up paying $100 OR MORE to see an hour to an hour&1/2 comedy show. So in conclusion it was a good experience and something fun to do in NYC........BUT (judging from other reviews) if the guy who sold us tickets wasn't upfront about the two drink minimum and we didn't get such funny comedians my review would be only 1 star or less if I could!!! It was definitely only a one time thing; I experienced it; so I would never spend that kind of money to go again.

Visited June 2011