“After ramen glow lasted the rest of the day”
Review of Totto Ramen

Totto Ramen
Ranked #264 of 13,838 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
Los Angeles, California
“After ramen glow lasted the rest of the day”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Seriously, the best ramen I've had. And I know ramen living in LA with Daikokuya in Little Tokyo and Hakata Ramen in Torrance. We showed up early on Sunday before they opened and were the first ones to put our name down. The chicken broth base was so tasty, I was smiling throughout my meal it was so good. I've had better noodles elsewhere but hands down the broth can't be beat. I was so pleased with my meal, I was still thinking about it 4 hours later. I can't wait to go back until then I'll just have to go to Toki Underground here in DC.. but it is definitely not the same.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Philo, California, United States
“Great noodles”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Perfect late night inexpensive dinner that was delicious. Great soup and raw fish. Fast, hot and yummy.

los angeles
“Soup on the salty side”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I considered 4 stars, but nah. Let me give u my ramen credentials. I once waited 3 hrs in Tokyo for a bowl. When I went to Sapporo, Hakata (Fukuoka), Kitakata, I would spend all day sampling bowls and bowls. I live in LA and have access to many good/decent ramen places.
So, this was on a weekday night, and I ended up waiting more than an hour. I knew the line was long, but the turnover was ridiculous. This is a RAMEN shop, not Izakaya for God's sake, and people were making out and drinking beer inside. Only one gentleman got his turn (after a ver long wait), went in, slurped his noodle, and walked out in 15 min, like any decent Homo sapiens would do in Japan. The rest kept us waiting, and waiting, in the freezing cold.
The Paitan noodle itself had good flavor, but the soup is so salty and not really drinkable. The pork slices are seared to order with a butane torch, they were good. The noodle is on the firm side but not "undercooked" like someone said here. The egg was also good. The spicy oil had an almost Szechuan peppercorn flavor, which is good, but charging for your house spicy oil (Rayu) is kind of pathetic, considering the ramen is already almost $10. I'm so glad my new friend (made during the impossible wait) let me try a little bit of hers for free.
So, bring ur smart phone, or an office project, or Proust's Magnum Opus to read, and dress warmly.

• Visited March 2013
Toronto
“Check out their weekly special too”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Almost overlooked their weekly special menu, but make sure you take a look at it before you order. They have some interesting selection.

Santa Monica, California
“Not worth the wait”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

It was a snowy New York afternoon and what better way to warm up than to have some hearty Ramen. I had high expectations for the place reading the reviews by people who share my love of Ramen. Unfortunately, Totto did not live up the hype.

The line was pretty long to get in and there really isn't anywhere to wait that fits more than 10 people. They have many rules, you have to sign up a certain way, no parties larger than 4 people, and cash only. I tried to add some veggies to my Ramen, they said no. I wanted a to go container, they said no. So basically prepare yourself to eat here on their terms.

There are large pots of broth boiling in the ever so small kitchen given a B rating by the health board. The one filled with raw meat just sitting there was particularly not appealing. Techno music plays and within seconds of sitting your soup is in your face. That's not a bad thing but the music combined with the service really makes you feel like you need to eat and get the hell out.

The soup itself was thick-- I used to live on a farm and it smells like it did on slaughter day in the chicken coup. As you can imagine, that's not the image you want in your head while eating your lunch. You could say that means the meat is fresh but by the looks of the place, I highly doubt it. The noodles themselves were homemade but felt more like a spaghetti noddle than a Ramen noddle. The pieces of chicken they put in my soup where slices of white meat but tasted like unwashed chicken. It wasn't delicious but it was edible.

All in all, I understand why people come here, the food is cheap and it's fast. But the flavor profiles weren't interesting in that thick chicken stock and there is much better Ramen to be had out there.

1 Thank diddleydd