New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #109 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Richmond, VA
“Not 4 star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

The hotel is not finished is why they are all excited about the deals. Be wary on any web search because u can't choose your room- get what u get. All in all it had great rooms and comfy but zero and I mean zero amenities. No lobby or bar or restaurant etc and in NYC a
Drink before heading out is always fun. Right on times square so that's good if u r seeing a show. Honestly- it's just ok, and it is expensive for ok. The staff are ok but inexperienced but you get no grand NYC feeling in a lobby of matte black cinder block that is smaller than a luxury suv. NYC is about experience. Hook yourself up slightly better for the ( substantial) dough. But I'll give u this- comfy beds!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Had kind of a rocky start. Arrived at 2PM and room wasn't ready but bellman took our bags. Came back at 5PM and while I was upstairs in the room a maintenance man let himself in without even knocking. 15 minutes later a maid let herself in to place fresh orchids in the room, again without knocking. Bellman brought up one less bag than we had given him but promptly returned with the remaining bag. Rooms are very modern and nicely decorated but incredibly small. We had the "Deluxe King." There is a mini bar, fridge and safe. They give you a suitcase stand but there is hardly any place to set it up. We were on the 17th floor which was quiet and didn't hear any street noise but were also next to the elevator and did hear that occasionally. Shower was fantastic and they had nice amenities like a huge flatscreen TV which seemed even bigger because it was only 3 feet away from your bed. Also had a nice stereo system with satellite radio and iPod dock. There is a small gym in the basement with about 6 cardio machines of various kinds and some free weights and also towels and bottled water. Internet was reasonable at $9.95 per night. I told the manager of the hotel about our rough start and they comped us internet for the remainder of our stay and continental breakfast the next morning. They were quite apologetic and we didn't have any issues the rest of the stay. My fiance ran the marathon and they gave us a really late check-out at 4PM without any additional charge so that he could shower. The restaurant hadn't opened yet so I can't comment on that. Maid service was spectacular. Of special help were Carmen, Abraham, and Henry. The location is definitely the selling point of this hotel--wedged right between 5th and 6th Ave and a quick walk to any subway, Times Square, shopping on 5th Ave. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PORMOR
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Myself & Wife & two friends stayed for 5 nights 1/11/10 to 6/11/10.NYC is Fantastic we did everything,& was exhausted.
Try Ellens Singing Diner nr Times Square & Pershing Square Diner opposite Central Station. Mortons Steak House is great but pricey.
Do Brooklyn Bridge, Staten Ferry Central Park & both Bloomingdales(one in Soho nr Canal St Subway) Maceys Empire State Central Station etc etc!! We loved it!

The Cassa Hotel.........

Hotel now functioning & front Scaffolding down. But still work in progress.Current works screened by Curtains.Forget the breakfast Room on 44th Floor(soulless) Find a Diner(lots of em)
Check in efficient. Laptops used perched on crates. Lobby Floor is concrete, couldnt figure if this was minimalist design or just unfinished.??!!Staff are Smart in black suits & American friendly in all ways. Plenty of Staff lurking to advise & carry bags.
Particularly liked Patrick (seemed almost British!)....& most of the others were great. Kevin works hard, I assume he is the Manager but gets his hands dirty working the door.Good Man.
Nick I wasnt sure about as concierge.He ticked all the boxes & smiled but lacked genuine warmth we felt.(wants to be a mover & shaker?) Are we beneath him?
Perhaps its just me.
Also we wanted Theatre tickets & he made a call & quoted $181 per seat. We walked to Theatre & got better seats for $120! (had Kirk Douglas sitting alongside..amazing!)
For certain shows use half price ticket office(TKS) in Times Square(NB watch out for drinks prices in theatres $20 per drink not uncommon!)
Lifts good & fast. occasional delays when busy.
Positives
Location...Fantastic. Near everything but quiet.between Empire State & Rockefeller Centre & yards from Times Square!
Beds.....some of the best I have slept on.but bit small(used to Kingsize)
Bathrooms/Towels/Robes/toiletries......Superb(shower power not great though)
Staff..efficient & friendly.
Last Day Bag storing service excellent.(they have weigh hooks for checking bags for excess)
Negatives
Bedrooms...bit Small...but hey its NYC!
Price........probably should be a bit cheaper until complete (we paid circa £800 for Room only for 5 nights)
Manager....wrote & asked for upgrade(no response)
Manager on door(Kevin) when raining asked for Umbrella....said sorry all gone! He directed me to Jacks Store up the road....$5 he said. It was $8 & I got wet!!
Not 5* treatment.
I had to leave the Umbrella at Hotel anyway..too big!(wheres my $8?)
I think High rollers would get better treatment..........
All in all good, but could be better, could do better, & charge less until totally finished.
Also more upgrades should be given as a matter of course when not busy! Or at least respond to requests.
But well done Kev & Co, would come again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peewee123
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Cassa Hotel and Residences is a must in midtown Manhattan 45th Street
A very convenient location close to Broadway shows, City Center, Carnegie Hall, MOMA, Lincoln Center, etc.
Half a block to 6th Avenue buses for uptown or 5th Avenue buses for downtown
Saks, Bergdoorf Goodman, Abercrombie, Fendi, etc. a nice walk up 5th Avenue
Well appointed with warm efficient and well informed staff gives you help and information for all your needs.
We spend 16 wonderful days - SHALL RETURN - ALL IN ALL "EXCELENT HOTEL"

Edinburgh United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in October 2010 4 days. On our arrival the room I had booked was not ready which was some 2 and half hours after the book in time of 3pm. I was told we would have to wait but this took another hour. We were taken to a room but smaller than the one booked. Contacted reception to complain, they said they would get another room. Contacted reception three times and some three hours later were taken to a room similar to what was booked in UK. On entering the room we had no facilities to have a warm drink after our long journey from the UK. There was no bath robes in room, so had to ask for them. The hotel is not finished and what is on their website is nothing like what is available. There is no lounge or dinning area they are still under considerable construction and may take several months to be up and running. I was given a bill under my bedroom door only to approach them to be told I was billed in error. This did not stop them charging my credit card and on my return to the UK I contacted my credit card company to confirm that they had billed me. On contacting the travel company in the UK they said they were 1 not aware that the hotel was under construction and 2 they would contact the hotel regarding the bill etc. We were unable to go anywhere in the hotel as nothing was finished so we only had our room to relax in, as we did not want to venture out in the city on our own at night being two women. There was no sitting area at the back of the hotel as in their pictures on the website and no where to eat properly only 2 rooms on the 44th floor made into a temporary area for breakfast. they need to change their website and advise customers that they are not finished with construction. Last but not least the air conditioning was very noisy in our room unable to sleep for the noise.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank caravan_10
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

our holiday in new york oct 15 -20 was made even more enjoyable by the friendly/helpful staff at cassa nothing was too much trouble for them.what ever your needs they did more than was hoped for.our room was comfy,modern and had everything you needed.the veiw from the restaurant was amazing.the food and service superb.we will definately return to cassa on our next visit and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel-so well situated for times sqaure-you can get around easily..........keep up the good work cassa. ....alan/julie

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I stayed here to celebrate with my boyfriend, we stayed for 4 nights, 5 days, and we could not have been happier. We told them we were celebrating our honeymoon initially, but ended up celebrating an engagement instead as things were postponed. However, when we arrived they were so friendly and helpful, that we just left things as were.

We arrived at the hotel just after 9am, trendy and really fun lobby however, naturally the room was not was available being so early. We requested a West Side View facing room on a higher level, so we didn't mind waiting to see if they would accomodate us. We checked our bags and began our travels around the City, which was EASY as this hotel is PERFECTLY located for Times Square and Theatres & tons of shopping & places to eat, and REALLY close to subways. Just after 3pm, they called to let us know our room was ready so we made our way back. Henry helped with our luggage as we made our way up to the room. They had given us a bottle of wine, complimentary to help us celebrate, along with a very nice welcome/congrats letter. We were surprised they took the time to do so. We had a room on the 25th floor with an awesome view right into Times Square from the bathroom, and awesome view from the living area as well. The room was not very large, but it was perfect for the two of us! The bed was exremeley comfortable, clean, and faced a large flat screen tv that made for great relaxing time after walking all over the city. The bathroom was clean & bright and had fresh flowers daily it seemed! Had a rain shower head along with a hand help, which was really nice! My first trip to NYC, I didn't know what to expect, but for a 4 star Hotel, I felt like we had 5 star service.

Our favorite employee was Armando! We actually stayed a good 45 min outside with him one night just chatting, and he gave us some good tips on places to go, and places not to after dark, lol. He always greeted us with a smile, and even hailed us a cab at 4:30am to get us to Penn Station! He was great, and we enjoyed our nightly chats with him! We were sad when it was his days off, and we had to leave the following day. Henry was also great, as he brought our bags, answered some questions for us etc.

The entire staff was great. The place was nice, the continental breakfast was REALLY great also, in a cute little room they called the 1945. We were impressed!

When I visit again, I will definitely stay here!

If I had any complaints at all, I will just say that we wish there an ice machine there, and a fridge that worked. Also, being that the rooms were on high levels directly facing other windows, it felt uncomfortable at night in the shower as I could see directly into the offices that had lights on, and in viewing from the street, that meant that they could see directly into the shower as well, which was odd and uncomfortable, so much so that we ended up hanging a towel when we saw people working across the way. Aside from that, we were thrilled.

I do agree that having just the one operating elevator was frustrating at times, however, we also understood that they JUST opened and are still working out the kinks! The longest we waited was just a few minutes, so I think the people who said they waited 10 were fabricating a bit! Have some patience people, this place is outstanding!

Overall, I think this is a GREAT hotel, awesome location, friendly and helpful staff, and very clean. I can't wait tio visit NYC again, and next time, I will surely stay here again, I just may have found my second home. Thank you Cassa for making my first trip to NYC even better than I could have imagined! And a special thank you to Armando for making us laugh and making our stay even better!