“Good hotel for couples” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #113 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lokeren, Belgium
“Good hotel for couples”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Cassa Hotel is a very good hotel. The interior is modern and tastefull. We loved the location, it is very close to Times Square. I wouldn't recommand it to people with little children. The hotel does not have a restaurant so you have to take your meals outside. That was maybe the only down side, it would be conveniant to be able to have breakfast in the hotel, but there are a lot alternatives next door. For business maybe not the best option but for pleasure great!
We would certainly recommand this hotel to our friends!

Room Tip: we had a junior suite and that was great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hello Eva9160. Thank you very much for your comments! We actually do have a breakfast space on the 10th floor. It is a temporary set up until our restaurant opens after this coming winter. But even though it’s temporary, we still offer a full a la carte menu and room service for breakfast.

We actually have a room configuration called “Family Room” which is 2 King rooms that have a separate entrance off the hallway. Essentially they have a shared vestibule space between the hall and the individual rooms. That room can be closed if guests so wish.

We would love to have you visit us again after we make all our improvements! Best Wishes - Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great location, comfortable and clean, Staff was very friendly and accommodating to my schedule. I was working nights and sleeping most of the day, but they still cleaned my room every evening. The rooms are small, but it's New York. It's not like you're going to spend a lot of time in your room. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of closets. It meant having to have my luggage out the whole time.

Room Tip: I was told by colleagues that the higher floors are bigger.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello JXBIANC! Thank you for your comments! Yes the closets are something we will be addressing when we rebrand in the Winter. Please come see us again after we make all the exciting changes! Best Wishes - Kevin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Got stranded at JFK during nor'easter and got a room at Cassa purely by chance. Very nice accommodations, great staff, reasonable price. Just a few blocks from Times Square, theaters and Rockefeller plaza. This is where I will stay when I come to the city in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hello David B - Thank you very much for the comments and endorsement! We of course would love to have you stay with us again! Best Wishes - Kevin
SF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for about a week at the end of September. All in all, it was a very nice hotel. Very clean and modern, just how we like it. We were placed in the 4th floor the first 2 days. I'm very sensitive to noise when sleeping. The first night, I was so tired I fell asleep even though I could hear music playing. The second night was a different case. I was hearing all sorts of music. I though since our room was adjacent to the building next door and not another room, we couldn't really ask them to turn down their music. It's fine if it's white noisy...but I could differentiate every song I heard. And to be honest, I did not recall any noisy building when walking back to the hotel after dinner. So, it was very strange....

So, we called the front desk to request a change of room. The front desk asked if I would like to move one floor up. Since there's a limited number of the suite we booked. Here's where the conversation gets interesting...

Front desk: "Would you like to move one floor up?"
Me: "Well it seems like the noise is coming from the next building, so the issue would still be there... BTW, is there a club or bar next door, the music is so loud?"
Front desk: "I'm sorry, what did you mean by a club...we are in a hotel building..."
Me: "Well the music.... (I was so tired at the time I didn't want to dwell on the subject), anyway, I would like to move as far away from this room as possible."
Front desk: "That's fine, but we do not have another suite. So that would mean downgrading to another room."
...And so we did (while paying for the same cost). After we packed, we went back downstairs to change keys and rooms. That's when I noticed the music was playing in the LOBBY. That's when I figured, the music that was keeping me up at night was not some invisible club or bar next door, but it was from the lobby! I would highly recommend the hotel to either turn down the music after hours, move the speakers away from the ceiling, or just get better sound proofing floor for those guests who are staying on the lower floors.

At the end, we moved to a downgraded room on the other side of the building. And I was able to sleep peacefully for the next few remaining days.

The hotel would definitely get one more star if it was not for what happened. But overall, everything else was nice. I would stay here again, book another room, and specifically ask for a hotel on the upper floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear mka_sf - thank you for staying with the Cassa and for your nice review, a little odd though it may be. I have been asking the evening and overnight staff about the music situation, as it has not come up before - the simplest solution would have been to just turn it off. Please call us again on your next trip to the Big Apple - we’ll be most happy to ensure that your visit will be as wonderful and memorable as you have every right to expect! Best wishes - Kevin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a fun boutique hotel with a bit of hipster 'tude, but Restoration Hardware-like furnishings. I might stay here again, but not for business.

The good: Clean, ultramodern room with nice furnishings. Very comfortable bed. Large bathroom with great shower and fixtures. My room was very quiet, looking out on the back side of the hotel (no view to speak of, but hey, it's NYC). Location wasn't near anything major I was going to (except Little Brazil), so others' reviews can probably speak to this better. The breakfast room was empty when I showed up, but it overlooked the street, for a nicely lit "view."

The not-as-good: Room was really tiny, as in the large bathroom was almost half its size. Mine was so small I had to turn sideways to slip into the bed. There was not a functional closet to speak of, so I had to hang my clothes on the back of the door. The desk was also half depth, which made for a less than comfortable work session with my laptop. It also was not well lit at all. Given that the furnishings were black, and the walls darker in color (which was nice, I'm not complaining), the room really could have used more lighting if you like things bright when you work. It was very expensive (but perhaps a touch reasonable for Manhattan at ~$350).

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a room on the back side of the hotel, higher up (you'll get some air...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello BlueWindez. Thank you for your comments! We will be renovating very soon in the winter and we definitely will address the size of the closet, desk, and lighting. Yes please stay with again so we can show you all our improvements! Best Wishes - Kevin
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has an excellent balance considering cost-benefit and also is extremely well positioned, only a few blocks from Time Square and 5th Ave.

Also, I would like to mention and thank Michael Schneiser, that clearly exceeded my expectations on handling a difficult situation and made all the difference to me and my wife. Every time I return to New York, Cassa Hotel is the place I'll stay.

Room Tip: Excellent location. It's a worth investment for staying close by the New York main attractions.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Laurencio_Cara
Hello Laurencio_Cara! Thank you very much for your compliments. The Hurricane made everything very difficult and I want to thank you very much for your support and patience at that time. We look forward to your next stay with us! Best Wishes - Kevin
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

If there's a 0 star rating, I'd check it for this hotel.

I booked a room here through hotwire.com during hurricane Sandy. I showed up at 11 AM at the hotel and was informed by the hotel staff that my room is not ready, and that I should check my luggage with the bell desk and come back at 3 PM for my room.

I came back at 3 PM to wait in line for 2 hours for check in. After the long wait, I was told that my reservation was cancelled and that the best solution is for me to contact hotwire. I asked who cancelled my reservation, and the front desk person lied to me and said he didn't know.

Turns out, the hotel cancelled my reservation because they were 60+ rooms overbooked. Instead of admitting to their mistake and informing their guests of the incident, they decided to lie and blame it on hotwire and myself instead. The front desk personnel was even threatening to call security on me because I was asking him questions that he couldn't answer. I was not the only case, they did this to many people who were in line with me on that same day.

By the time I found out I couldn't get a room here, I tried searching for rooms at other hotels, but it was too late. All hotels in a 100 miles radius around NYC were booked. I was fortunate to have friends who I could stay with for the day. I'd hate to think of other guests who couldn't get a room and don't know anyone in NYC to find a place to rest for the night.

Unprofessional, rude and poorly managed hotel. I'd not recommend for anyone to stay here. They lost me as a customer and I'll inform anyone I know to never give business to this hotel. Extremely disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thuy N
Hello Thuy N - Quite frankly, we expected you to post something. As I had explained to everyone (including you) in the lobby numerous times that day, due to our Internet and phone service interruption by Hurricane Sandy, our Internet reservations system was disconnected from our hotel’s property management system, and a great many confirmed reservations had not actually reached the hotel - which created a heavily overbooked situation (at quite a few hotels that day). Your particular behavior in the lobby, such as turning your radio up to full volume at the Front Desk, was inappropriate, disruptive and juvenile; thus the agent’s comment that he would have to call security. Most other people understood the difficulties of the situation created by Hurricane Sandy (please see the previous postings), and chose not to make the situation more difficult than it was. We did our best to find alternate accommodations, travel assistance and temporary housing - so most of our guests were indeed effectively assisted. Best wishes - Kevin