“Probably Better For Fun Than Business Travel”

Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York
Ranked #107 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Probably Better For Fun Than Business Travel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a fun boutique hotel with a bit of hipster 'tude, but Restoration Hardware-like furnishings. I might stay here again, but not for business.

The good: Clean, ultramodern room with nice furnishings. Very comfortable bed. Large bathroom with great shower and fixtures. My room was very quiet, looking out on the back side of the hotel (no view to speak of, but hey, it's NYC). Location wasn't near anything major I was going to (except Little Brazil), so others' reviews can probably speak to this better. The breakfast room was empty when I showed up, but it overlooked the street, for a nicely lit "view."

The not-as-good: Room was really tiny, as in the large bathroom was almost half its size. Mine was so small I had to turn sideways to slip into the bed. There was not a functional closet to speak of, so I had to hang my clothes on the back of the door. The desk was also half depth, which made for a less than comfortable work session with my laptop. It also was not well lit at all. Given that the furnishings were black, and the walls darker in color (which was nice, I'm not complaining), the room really could have used more lighting if you like things bright when you work. It was very expensive (but perhaps a touch reasonable for Manhattan at ~$350).

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a room on the back side of the hotel, higher up (you'll get some air...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello BlueWindez. Thank you for your comments! We will be renovating very soon in the winter and we definitely will address the size of the closet, desk, and lighting. Yes please stay with again so we can show you all our improvements! Best Wishes - Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has an excellent balance considering cost-benefit and also is extremely well positioned, only a few blocks from Time Square and 5th Ave.

Also, I would like to mention and thank Michael Schneiser, that clearly exceeded my expectations on handling a difficult situation and made all the difference to me and my wife. Every time I return to New York, Cassa Hotel is the place I'll stay.

Room Tip: Excellent location. It's a worth investment for staying close by the New York main attractions.
3 Thank Laurencio_Cara
Hello Laurencio_Cara! Thank you very much for your compliments. The Hurricane made everything very difficult and I want to thank you very much for your support and patience at that time. We look forward to your next stay with us! Best Wishes - Kevin
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

If there's a 0 star rating, I'd check it for this hotel.

I booked a room here through hotwire.com during hurricane Sandy. I showed up at 11 AM at the hotel and was informed by the hotel staff that my room is not ready, and that I should check my luggage with the bell desk and come back at 3 PM for my room.

I came back at 3 PM to wait in line for 2 hours for check in. After the long wait, I was told that my reservation was cancelled and that the best solution is for me to contact hotwire. I asked who cancelled my reservation, and the front desk person lied to me and said he didn't know.

Turns out, the hotel cancelled my reservation because they were 60+ rooms overbooked. Instead of admitting to their mistake and informing their guests of the incident, they decided to lie and blame it on hotwire and myself instead. The front desk personnel was even threatening to call security on me because I was asking him questions that he couldn't answer. I was not the only case, they did this to many people who were in line with me on that same day.

By the time I found out I couldn't get a room here, I tried searching for rooms at other hotels, but it was too late. All hotels in a 100 miles radius around NYC were booked. I was fortunate to have friends who I could stay with for the day. I'd hate to think of other guests who couldn't get a room and don't know anyone in NYC to find a place to rest for the night.

Unprofessional, rude and poorly managed hotel. I'd not recommend for anyone to stay here. They lost me as a customer and I'll inform anyone I know to never give business to this hotel. Extremely disappointed!

1 Thank Thuy N
Hello Thuy N - Quite frankly, we expected you to post something. As I had explained to everyone (including you) in the lobby numerous times that day, due to our Internet and phone service interruption by Hurricane Sandy, our Internet reservations system was disconnected from our hotel’s property management system, and a great many confirmed reservations had not actually reached the hotel - which created a heavily overbooked situation (at quite a few hotels that day). Your particular behavior in the lobby, such as turning your radio up to full volume at the Front Desk, was inappropriate, disruptive and juvenile; thus the agent’s comment that he would have to call security. Most other people understood the difficulties of the situation created by Hurricane Sandy (please see the previous postings), and chose not to make the situation more difficult than it was. We did our best to find alternate accommodations, travel assistance and temporary housing - so most of our guests were indeed effectively assisted. Best wishes - Kevin
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was looking for a room in midtown after hurricane Sandy crippled the NYC area. I stayed for 2 nights at the Cassa and my overall impression was great. Located near time square, walking distance to Bryant Park, shops along 5th Ave, Rock center as well as convenience to major subway lines. The room is a decent size for NYC hotel rooms, contemporary décor and very well maintain; large and clean bathroom with high end fixtures, good quality towels and generous toiletries. I believe this hotel is only less than 3 years old. The lounge on the 10th floor offers a large outdoor terrace overlooking 45th street, sitting area with a large screen TV and some small plates plus drinks (more like a mini café). I recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a lodging alternative in midtown Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hello Arch-Designer! First of all, thank you for staying with us and your patience in the difficult aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. We were lucky to be less affected than other NYC properties and for that we are incredibly grateful. Yes we are only a little more than 2 years old, but we are planning a great many exciting changes for the winter time. Please visit us again! Best Wishes - Kevin
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

The good:
Great location just a block from Times Square.
Staff try hard and appreciate your business
Rooms are small but surprisingly cosy and attractive - good lighting and decor, comfy bed
They make a big effort with the bathrooms - great shower,lighting, ambience, toiletries, towels, dressing gowns
Quiet

The Bad:
The restaurant is still under construction
Still a tad pricey
Foyer is cold and unwelcoming
No bar or convivial area to hang out

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SheehanDublin
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Hello SheehanDublin. Thank you very much for commenting. We definitely take pride in our staff and location. Thank you. Currently there is one lounge area for hanging out on our 10th floor and once our restaurant is finished, we will have another very nice space for that also. Please come and see us again when all the improvements happen! Best Wishes - Kevin
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

stayed here from the 11th-15th of october and had a great stay. the hotel is very clean even though it was going through some renovations in the main lobby. the staff were always very helpful and very friendly. the rooms were very nice (some say small but decent size for NYC). the location was great as it is very close to times sq and within walking distance to rockefeller center and great shopping. only issue i had with the hotel was that there was no restaurant and bar. the was an area where you could have breakfast that they converted into a makeshift bar in the afternoons. not really what i was looking for.
overall, a great stay at the cassa, would definitely return during my next visit to NYC.

2 Thank bor10
Hello bor10! Thank you for the wonderful comments. Yes we are really grateful for our location. We would love to have you stay with us again! Especially after we have our restaurant up and running. Please keep an eye on our websites to updates! Best Wishes - Kevin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Good location, close to Times Square. Rooms were spacious with large flat panel TV, iPhone docking radio, bathroom tiled and nice but not flashy in any way.
But cleaner left a rubber glove on the floor, didn't replace used glasses and the price was almost $370/night with taxes.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear iaito01 – thanks for choosing the Cassa and for your review, even the tough parts. We get very few such complaints, and we follow up on each to ensure they’re kept to an absolute minimum. Please give us a call on your next visit to our fair city – you’ll see the difference, I guarantee it! Best wishes - Kevin