“The best hotel in New York”

Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York
Ranked #110 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has an excellent balance considering cost-benefit and also is extremely well positioned, only a few blocks from Time Square and 5th Ave.

Also, I would like to mention and thank Michael Schneiser, that clearly exceeded my expectations on handling a difficult situation and made all the difference to me and my wife. Every time I return to New York, Cassa Hotel is the place I'll stay.

Room Tip: Excellent location. It's a worth investment for staying close by the New York main attractions.
3  Thank Laurencio_Cara
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hello Laurencio_Cara! Thank you very much for your compliments. The Hurricane made everything very difficult and I want to thank you very much for your support and patience at that time. We look forward to your next stay with us! Best Wishes - Kevin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,267)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

If there's a 0 star rating, I'd check it for this hotel.

I booked a room here through hotwire.com during hurricane Sandy. I showed up at 11 AM at the hotel and was informed by the hotel staff that my room is not ready, and that I should check my luggage with the bell desk and come back at 3 PM for my room.

I came back at 3 PM to wait in line for 2 hours for check in. After the long wait, I was told that my reservation was cancelled and that the best solution is for me to contact hotwire. I asked who cancelled my reservation, and the front desk person lied to me and said he didn't know.

Turns out, the hotel cancelled my reservation because they were 60+ rooms overbooked. Instead of admitting to their mistake and informing their guests of the incident, they decided to lie and blame it on hotwire and myself instead. The front desk personnel was even threatening to call security on me because I was asking him questions that he couldn't answer. I was not the only case, they did this to many people who were in line with me on that same day.

By the time I found out I couldn't get a room here, I tried searching for rooms at other hotels, but it was too late. All hotels in a 100 miles radius around NYC were booked. I was fortunate to have friends who I could stay with for the day. I'd hate to think of other guests who couldn't get a room and don't know anyone in NYC to find a place to rest for the night.

Unprofessional, rude and poorly managed hotel. I'd not recommend for anyone to stay here. They lost me as a customer and I'll inform anyone I know to never give business to this hotel. Extremely disappointed!

1  Thank Thuy N

Hello Thuy N - Quite frankly, we expected you to post something. As I had explained to everyone (including you) in the lobby numerous times that day, due to our Internet and phone service interruption by Hurricane Sandy, our Internet reservations system was disconnected from our hotel’s property management system, and a great many confirmed reservations had not actually reached the hotel - which created a heavily overbooked situation (at quite a few hotels that day). Your particular behavior in the lobby, such as turning your radio up to full volume at the Front Desk, was inappropriate, disruptive and juvenile; thus the agent’s comment that he would have to call security. Most other people understood the difficulties of the situation created by Hurricane Sandy (please see the previous postings), and chose not to make the situation more difficult than it was. We did our best to find alternate accommodations, travel assistance and temporary housing - so most of our guests were indeed effectively assisted. Best wishes - Kevin

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was looking for a room in midtown after hurricane Sandy crippled the NYC area. I stayed for 2 nights at the Cassa and my overall impression was great. Located near time square, walking distance to Bryant Park, shops along 5th Ave, Rock center as well as convenience to major subway lines. The room is a decent size for NYC hotel rooms, contemporary décor and very well maintain; large and clean bathroom with high end fixtures, good quality towels and generous toiletries. I believe this hotel is only less than 3 years old. The lounge on the 10th floor offers a large outdoor terrace overlooking 45th street, sitting area with a large screen TV and some small plates plus drinks (more like a mini café). I recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a lodging alternative in midtown Manhattan.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Hello Arch-Designer! First of all, thank you for staying with us and your patience in the difficult aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. We were lucky to be less affected than other NYC properties and for that we are incredibly grateful. Yes we are only a little more than 2 years old, but we are planning a great many exciting changes for the winter time. Please visit us again! Best Wishes - Kevin

Reviewed October 31, 2012

The good:
Great location just a block from Times Square.
Staff try hard and appreciate your business
Rooms are small but surprisingly cosy and attractive - good lighting and decor, comfy bed
They make a big effort with the bathrooms - great shower,lighting, ambience, toiletries, towels, dressing gowns
Quiet

The Bad:
The restaurant is still under construction
Still a tad pricey
Foyer is cold and unwelcoming
No bar or convivial area to hang out

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SheehanDublin
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Hello SheehanDublin. Thank you very much for commenting. We definitely take pride in our staff and location. Thank you. Currently there is one lounge area for hanging out on our 10th floor and once our restaurant is finished, we will have another very nice space for that also. Please come and see us again when all the improvements happen! Best Wishes - Kevin

Reviewed October 27, 2012

stayed here from the 11th-15th of october and had a great stay. the hotel is very clean even though it was going through some renovations in the main lobby. the staff were always very helpful and very friendly. the rooms were very nice (some say small but decent size for NYC). the location was great as it is very close to times sq and within walking distance to rockefeller center and great shopping. only issue i had with the hotel was that there was no restaurant and bar. the was an area where you could have breakfast that they converted into a makeshift bar in the afternoons. not really what i was looking for.
overall, a great stay at the cassa, would definitely return during my next visit to NYC.

2  Thank bor10

Hello bor10! Thank you for the wonderful comments. Yes we are really grateful for our location. We would love to have you stay with us again! Especially after we have our restaurant up and running. Please keep an eye on our websites to updates! Best Wishes - Kevin

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Good location, close to Times Square. Rooms were spacious with large flat panel TV, iPhone docking radio, bathroom tiled and nice but not flashy in any way.
But cleaner left a rubber glove on the floor, didn't replace used glasses and the price was almost $370/night with taxes.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear iaito01 – thanks for choosing the Cassa and for your review, even the tough parts. We get very few such complaints, and we follow up on each to ensure they’re kept to an absolute minimum. Please give us a call on your next visit to our fair city – you’ll see the difference, I guarantee it! Best wishes - Kevin

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived early in the day and were happy to find that our room was ready but had also been upgraded. Room was clean and spacious but a bath would have been a nice extra. Not to sound too pedantic but many hotel get the bed wrong. ours was extremely comfortable and pillows perfect. Sound proofing was also of a good standard (very important in NY). Hotel is well situated in 44th and close to everything - shops, 5th ave, Broadway, Rock, Times Square. The Tapas cafe in the hotel was a big let down and appears that while the hotel is intent on providing good room and good cleaning services and good front desk service it does not want to provide other facilities such as a bar and on site restaurant. Hopefully the advertised soon to open on site BLT Restaurant will deal with this shortcoming and give one a place where one can go to unwind or entertain a visitor at the end of the day. Service at the Tapas cafe was also not great and it appears that the hotel wants to stay away from providing these extras and drive guests to use the establishments on the streets of NY. If you have been provided with good referrals to restaurants and bars and other entertainment stick to them. The concierge referred us to alternatives which were found to be lacking and not as good as places we were referred to. Although keen to please, Im'e not sure that Eric the concierge has had enough experience and sufficiently connected. Having given some negatives...location is great, check out is quick, desk service is tops, cleaning is efficient, atmosphere is vibey, staff genuinely try hard to please. I don't believe it's a mistake to stay here.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise from street traffic
1  Thank jeff1996
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Hello jeff1996. Thank you for your compliments. Yes, we do encourage guests to explore the restaurants around NYC since our 10th floor lounge is really a temporary space until the actual restaurant opens in the Lower Lobby. We are highly looking forward to that happening early next year - hopefully in time for your next visit to our fair city! Best Wishes - Kevin