“Booked on Hotwire” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Austin, Texas
“Booked on Hotwire”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Saw a 4 Star Hotel in Midtown for $138 a night on a Sunday night on Hotwire, and was booked into the Cassa. I immediately read the trip advisor reviews, so I was prepared to deal with the full size bed problem that others have detailed.

I checked in, and was told that since I booked on Hotwire, I would be given a room with a full size bed. I asked for an upgrade, and the clerk told me $50 for a queen bed or $75 for a king bed. I then asked for a complimentary upgrade, and was told that that would be very difficult since their hotel has been sold out for months. Terrible reasoning, given that she already has indicated they have rooms with queens or kings available. She typed away for a while and continued to discuss the fact that hotwire bookings automatically get put in the smallest rooms. Then out of nowhere, she realized that the room that the computer had already booked me into was a room with a queen. So I said "great" and was ready to take the keys. She then had to radio up to staff to inspect the room. After waiting for 7-8 minutes, I was given my keys and we were on our way. Very long check-in process.

The room was good. Large Flat Screen TV, good A/C, Queen Bed, Walk-in shower. Got ready and headed out for the night. After returning to the hotel around 2am, we got ready for bed. At 3:30AM, I woke up to the sound of someone sliding a key into my door and trying to open the door. By the time I got up and looked through the peephole, the person was gone. Strange.

At 8am, we were woken up by VERY loud drilling above us. I called down to the front desk and they said there was no construction going on in the hotel. I told her there clearly was as I could barely hear her on the phone with the loud drilling. After 10 minutes the drilling stopped. Drilling noises were not a nice alarm clock, particularly after a night of drinking.

The front desk arranged for a car service to JFK on the way out, which was helpful.

Overall, Cassa is lucky to receive an Average rating. Worth $138 for sure. But nowhere near being worth the $350+ their website was showing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelinKind

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
U.S.A.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Beware. When I checked in, I was informed that Hotwire customers are automatically given a smaller room with a full-size bed (rather than a larger queen or king), a blatant attempt to upsell. When I asked if the hotel was sold out, I was told no. So I said, then how about upgrading me? Not without more money, said the check-in clerk. So I went to my tiny room, so small that the bathroom door had to be shoved past the toilet seat to open all the way. Worse, the room had a bad dirty-diaper smell. When I informed the front desk, I was told someone would look into it -- and no one ever mentioned it to me again. The next day, I discovered that the room next door had some sort of leak, which is probably what was causing the smell. Also, I went out 10 am and when I returned to the room at 3, it still hadn't been serviced. Oh, and the modern-design room has such idiotic touches as a recessed space for plugging in laptops that prevents anything except standard-size plugs from fitting unless you pulled the entire outlet out of the desk, which someone before me had already done. So, nice location, but small room, bad smell, lousy service equals no deal.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank MMusing
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear MMusing - Thank you for your post. It is true that some of our discounted rooms are marketed through Hotwire, and these rooms are not automatically upgraded for free upon check-in. However, there is certainly never an excuse for poor service, and I am looking into your concerns in that regard. Please accept my apologies and book with us again - we would welcome the opportunity to make things right. Best wishes - Kevin Smith.
Paget
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

The marketing department for this hotel needs to be hired by the US government, they could make the current debit situation seem like the best thing since slice bread was invented.

Please take note their web site view of the lobby is an artist rendering only the real lobby is very cold, like you are walking into a meat chill room. There are so many things wrong with this place I don't know where to begin. Let's go with small rooms, how small, yes I'm going to say it. It was so small I had to leave the room to change my mind. The tv was wider than the bed, no tub only a shower with one towel. Not to mention the 3ft ironing board, thank goodness we were only there for two nights. This is not a four star property, it is a hostel with bellmen.

Room Tip: Avoid if possible
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank Damama112
Dear Damama112 - Thank you for your amusing post. We do indeed have rooms of various sizes, so depending on what you booked, you may have wound up in a smaller, Standard room. (But I've measured all the TV's, and they are all really smaller than the full-size beds in those rooms, and all our Standard rooms also have two sets of towels, so I'm looking into what might have happened there.) Most of our rooms do have walk-in showers without tubs, though you could request one of our Junior Suites, which do have tubs. Finally, full-size ironing boards are available upon request - just let us know. Please give us another try, and let me know when you might be coming - I would happily show you the large selection of room-types and options we have available. Best wishes - Kevin Smith.
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We booked our room using Hotels.com, because of a rebate offered by Mr. Rebates (www.mrrebates.com). The rate was $199 a night, not bad for midtown Manhattan! We stayed here from September 30th till October 1st. We absolutely loved it!

We were looking for a place near Times Square but not right IN Times Square (too noisy). The Cassa is just a couple of blocks away--a quick, easy walk. We booked a standard room which had a full-sized bed. When we got there the concierge said "I see that you requested a quiet room, so we upgraded you to a deluxe room at no charge". Sweet!!! Let me just also say that everyone, from the valet who met us at the curb (we drove) to the ladies and gentlemen at the front desk, and every single person we came into contact with was genuinely warm, welcoming and attentive. The concierge handed us a list of special activities in the city that day and night (free Black-Eyed Peas concert in Central Park!) and many other suggestions for fabulous things to do. The next morning, we had a new one under our door.

Our room was 2308. There's a very fast elevator, actually two of them. Walking down the hallway to the room, I thought, "ho-hum", didn't seem like anything special, but when we opened the door to the room, wow! The rooms have obviously been completely remodeled and are done in a very modern motif. Everything was stylish and functional--and beautiful! I told my husband I wanted a bathroom just like the one in our room, and took lots of photos to remember all the little details. (I do have photos and when I get them transferred from my camera I'll post them here).

Everything you need is in this room. Refrigerator, safe, ironing board and iron, fax, really nice hair dryer, umbrella, wall mounted flat screen TV, MP3 docking station with remote, comfy leather chairs, high-quality linens on a bed that was heavenly to sleep in, thick terrycloth bathrobes on satin hangers for both of us, high-quality toiletries (the soap was so luscious and lathery I made sure to take the extra bar home with me). The rooms are not large, but big enough. The one thing I was disappointed in was that the high speed internet was not free--you had to pay at least $10 a day to use it. This is a pet peeve of mine with hotels. Internet access should be standard, not an add-on, especially in this day and age! However, everything else was so good I won't complain too much about that (and I did NOT pay the money to have internet access--just used my phone.)

I didn't hear any noise all night from other rooms or from the street. It really was quiet, so if you want a quiet room, this is a good one.

There's a cafe on the tenth floor with tables indoors and also outside on the Terrace. You can have breakfast there, or not. You can just sit there and relax on the Terrace if you want. Breakfast is very expensive, and the Cranberry Cafe is steps away on 45th Street and an amazing and inexpensive place for breakfast or any other time of the day. I highly recommend you walk over there!

We had tickets for Jersey Boys and walked from the hotel to the theater, stopping along the way at Arriba Arriba Mexican restaurant at 762 9th Avenue. They have an early bird menu until 6 PM and unlike most prix fixe menus, the portions were full-sized (none of us could finish) and included an appetizer, and entree, and either a frozen margarita or sangria. The service was great and the food delicious. I had the quesadillas as an appetizer, the taco salad as an entree (shredded beef--not ground, and lots of it!), and the frozen margarita. Everything was superb. If you order the same thing you'll be happily surprised. All this for $14.95! Then on to the show, which was also great (don;t be afraid of the partial view seats in the last rows of the orchestra--you can actually see everything), then another walk back to the hotel.

Check out time is noon. Valet parking is $50.00 and if you have a car I recommend it. Give them about ten minutes advanced notice and they bring your car right up to the front entrance when you want to leave.

We had a wonderful stay and were so comfortable! We'll book this hotel again the next time we're in NYC.

A couple of hints: If you absolutely have to drive to the hotel, it's on the left side of W 45th Street heading north, right before the intersection of 45th and 6th Avenue. (Between 5th and 6th Avenues) It has a cream-colored entrance that's easy to miss. It has the words CASSA written sideways on the outside wall next to the front revolving doors, so look for that. When we first drove up to the hotel, we couldn't see anywhere to go with our car--there's no place to park and no obvious signs for valet parking, so we had to go around the block again. I called from the car and asked what to do with the car and was told to just pull up in front of the hotel and they'd come out and take the car to the off-site parking garage. That's what we did, and the valet was waiting for us and waved us into a spot, then unloaded our luggage and handed off the car to a parking attendant. So remember, don't look for a garage, just stop right in front of the hotel and don't worry if someone behind you honks--it's NYC after all! Also, there's a minibar in the room. We didn't open it. Why be tempted?

Overall a great place. Highly recommended. Pictures to follow very soon.

Room Tip: 2308 was a really nice, quiet room. Not much a a view (just other buildings) but we had the drapes c...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We couldn't have been more pleased with the Cassa. Everything from the location, room, & friendly staff combined for a great week in the Big Apple. We didn't use any public transportation, walked to the theatres, restaurants and shopping. The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to please us. The room was small but, hey, it's NYC! The bed was comfortable and the linens were cozy. We loved the shower and the flatscreen TV was a nice treat. I would definitely recommend it and will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda M
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed at the Cassa hotel for four nights last week (9/15-9/21/2011). This is my second stay at this hotel. When I arrived there was an issue with the air conditioning and the size of the bed. These things happen anywhere and I was very pleased and impressed by the manner in which it was taken care of by the chef concierge, Nick. Please pass on my compliments to the management. The front desk people the last time I stayed there were also excellent.

I like this hotel for its location 3 blocks from Bryant park and 7 blocks from MOMA. It is midtown without the extremes of Times square. The hotel is actually quite quiet and I love having that vest pocket park right across from the hotel.

The rooms are fitted like a ship....not especially large but very well planned. The closet space could be larger but for a few days stay it's sufficient. The bathrooms are very european modern in the best sense. (love the rain forest shower head)

The restaurant on the first level hasn't opened yet but the 10th floor suite they use for breakfast and cocktails is quite special in that it has this huge balcony you can sit on across from that vest pocket park I mentioned.

Again, I was very pleased and were it not for the lobby area construction I'd give it 5 stars.
Also please pass on my compliments to the management and particularly to the chef concierge, Nick.

Gerard, Portsmouth NH

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Gerard46209
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

My daughter and I just came back after 6 nights in the Cassa hotel. The location is great. Some days we didn't use any public transportation. It is a couple of minutes from Times square, 5th avenue, Rockefeller center, MoMa the theaters, and if you're not lazy and enjoy walking - Central park as well. We were upgraded and got a junior suit, with a very large bed which was the most comfortable bed I ever had. The room had nice size, looks new and was very clean. The bathroom was shining clean as well. The staff is amazingly nice and helpful. You can ask them anything and always get good recommendations. I only missed the Lobby which is not ready yet, and free internet (but you can get it at Starbucks just across the street). The only thing I didn't like is the prices at the little restaurant they have, but it sent us to look for breakfast adventures in many different places. I will definitely recommend this hotel and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family