“Hype may be more about getting in than being there . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lion

The Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,842 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenue
Transit: By Subway: The A C E or B D F M to West 4th Street station and head 2 blocks north. The 1 2 3 to 14th Street Station and head 5 blocks south. The 1 to Christopher Street Sheridan, 2 blocks east to 6th avenue and walk up to 9th street.
Description: John DeLucie, former executive chef of The Waverly Inn, has opened The Lion on beautiful, tree-lined west 9th street.
New York
“Hype may be more about getting in than being there . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Maybe I'm getting desensitized to Manhattan prices, but this didn't seem absurdly expensive, though I know it was. Maybe the understated, shabby chic interior and the crush of a full dining room of people that clamored to get reservations at this place-of-the-moment worked their magic. I have complete amnesia about the check and don't want to dig up my credit card receipt.

My dinner host had secured the coveted reservations through her personal contacts at American Express. Otherwise, I think we'd have been unable to get reservations at that day and time. I can't say I really remember much about my meal except that it was tasty, no surprises pleasant or unpleasant. In many ways it feels like a redux of Balthazar, but set in the area bordering the West Village just off 6th Avenue.

My assessmen? Go there, but hope someone else pays.

• Visited November 2012

Wrightwood, CA
“Above average food, sorry service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

New Years Eve fixed menu dinner ($270pp and a $300 bottle of wine). Our server took our order and didn't check in with us until the bill came, 5 courses later. All courses were amazing with the exception of the main course, which tasted like a steak from Outback. The other courses made up for it. Atmosphere is terrific. Our server apologized profusely after we asked him why he never checked in with us for 90+ mins... To our server, here's some advice, for a $1000 dinner for two that included a fixed 18% gratuity, you better have nothing to apologize for. You're sorry??? You're right about that. In other news, the sommelier was fantastic as were the bus boys who actually delivered our food.

• Visited January 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was recommended to us by a friend that travels to NYC for work. I have to say I was a little disappointed. The service was a bit surly. We were ignored for a good 15 mins before being offered drinks! I didn't feel the waiter engaged with us at all. I actually cannot remember much about my meal at all which speaks volumes! I could tell you exactly what I ate at other restaurants I have now reviewed! Though I do remember my husband sending his steak back as it was over-cooked. I would not return there as there are many many more wonderful places to eat in New York that would be delighted to have you.

• Visited December 2012
Curitiba, PR
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

The atmosphere is unique and the food was great. The service was really great. The location is not so good, but I will come back!

• Visited November 2012
Park City, Utah
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The atmosphere is great, the service was excellent but overall the food was good but not great. I would miss this restaurant as it did not exceed or meet our expectations.

• Visited September 2012