“Bar is good, decor nice, food very mediocre & everything overpriced”
Review of The Lion

The Lion
Ranked #6,562 of 14,285 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenue
Transit: By Subway: The A C E or B D F M to West 4th Street station and head 2 blocks north. The 1 2 3 to 14th Street Station and head 5 blocks south. The 1 to Christopher Street Sheridan, 2 blocks east to 6th avenue and walk up to 9th street.
Description: John DeLucie, former executive chef of The Waverly Inn, has opened The Lion on beautiful, tree-lined west 9th street.
Reviewed July 24, 2012

As some have mentioned in many ways it feels like a bar/drinking establishment masquerading as a restaurant. The bar itself is good and was very busy when we arrived so the wait for the table went by quickly. The main dining hall was a bit cramped in some places but as was with friends this didn't bother me - it may have done if it were a dinner for two. The decor in the main dining room is admittedly very well done and I had just spent two weeks in Italy so to be impressed is probably saying something. The atmosphere is also quite lively so sets you up well for moving on to a club or similar later on.
However at the end of the day food is meant to be the centerpiece of any dining experience and the food was very standard for a restaurant in its class - sure it was all edible but absolutely none of the food ordered by anybody was worth writing home about and was all overpriced for the quality and portion sizes. The menu is also pretty limited so you certainly won't be spoiled for choice!

I didn't see the wine list as my friend ordered the bottle but he did complain that there was barely anything under $200 which is of course just stupid and needless to say we went back to cocktails/liquor after the first bottle.
While I did enjoy myself thanks to the company and the atmosphere, the bill was pretty steep for what we got and I wouldn't come back.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Fabulous "speak-easy" room, remodelled for a happening restaurant

BUT, take our a mortgage for the prices!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

a jet lagged Monday evening dinner provided an interesting mix of New York / Euro diners and a casual but upscale ambiance with "historic chic" decor and tables parked very close to one another...unfortunately we found the menu disappointingly limited, food just ok and prices quite steep for what was on offer.

1  Thank RobertH291
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We were rapt to be seated at a cosy booth for 6 on a Saturday night. Everyone in our party was happy with their meals including the burger, duck and chicken. Desserts were all delicious too - we especially loved the choc mint one!
The only negative part of our night was the sommelier. We told her that we were looking for a bottle of red and white in the lower range of the wine list prices. She said, "what does that mean?" And we said $60 - $70 and she dramatically rolled her eyes, happy for the whole table to see! And then she went and bagged us out to the waiter for being tight!!! Apart from being unprofessional, it shows her inability to work with the WHOLE range stocked by the restaurant. Don't be afraid to order bottles at the lower end of the price range - ours were both delicious (despite no assistance from the sommelier in picking them).

1  Thank Cat255100
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was hands down the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. First they had me waiting close to 1 hour for a table, and the table that was intended for me was given away to 2 people that just walked in. They placed us at a table in the front of the restaurant, and told me if I don't like it we have to wait another 45 min for a table to open up, so we sat. The table was close to the front door, and so cold that we had to eat with our winter jackets on. To top it off we had to wait long for our food, and the waiter messed up our main course orders. When I spoke to the manager( some looser tough guy) he had zero sympathy for the situation, and kept repeating himself saying that we can't be 100% all the time. I just wanted to punch him in the face. I ended up just asking the waiter for the check and got out of there without even eating.