“A lovely restaurant in an extraordinary room”
Review of The Lion

The Lion
Ranked #5,610 of 13,838 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenue
Transit: By Subway: The A C E or B D F M to West 4th Street station and head 2 blocks north. The 1 2 3 to 14th Street Station and head 5 blocks south. The 1 to Christopher Street Sheridan, 2 blocks east to 6th avenue and walk up to 9th street.
Description: John DeLucie, former executive chef of The Waverly Inn, has opened The Lion on beautiful, tree-lined west 9th street.
London
“A lovely restaurant in an extraordinary room”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Fabulous "speak-easy" room, remodelled for a happening restaurant

BUT, take our a mortgage for the prices!

Visited June 2012

Stockholm, Sweden
“overpriced, somewhat limited menu but good atmosphere”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

a jet lagged Monday evening dinner provided an interesting mix of New York / Euro diners and a casual but upscale ambiance with "historic chic" decor and tables parked very close to one another...unfortunately we found the menu disappointingly limited, food just ok and prices quite steep for what was on offer.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank RobertH291
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent food, soured by unprofessional sommelier”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We were rapt to be seated at a cosy booth for 6 on a Saturday night. Everyone in our party was happy with their meals including the burger, duck and chicken. Desserts were all delicious too - we especially loved the choc mint one!
The only negative part of our night was the sommelier. We told her that we were looking for a bottle of red and white in the lower range of the wine list prices. She said, "what does that mean?" And we said $60 - $70 and she dramatically rolled her eyes, happy for the whole table to see! And then she went and bagged us out to the waiter for being tight!!! Apart from being unprofessional, it shows her inability to work with the WHOLE range stocked by the restaurant. Don't be afraid to order bottles at the lower end of the price range - ours were both delicious (despite no assistance from the sommelier in picking them).

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Cat255100
New York City, New York
“worst restaurant experience”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was hands down the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. First they had me waiting close to 1 hour for a table, and the table that was intended for me was given away to 2 people that just walked in. They placed us at a table in the front of the restaurant, and told me if I don't like it we have to wait another 45 min for a table to open up, so we sat. The table was close to the front door, and so cold that we had to eat with our winter jackets on. To top it off we had to wait long for our food, and the waiter messed up our main course orders. When I spoke to the manager( some looser tough guy) he had zero sympathy for the situation, and kept repeating himself saying that we can't be 100% all the time. I just wanted to punch him in the face. I ended up just asking the waiter for the check and got out of there without even eating.

• Visited March 2012
Montreal
“'King' of Restaurant Atmospheres...”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was passing by this place in late 2011 and from the glance I had, I knew I had to try this place. We finally went to The Lion beginning of January 2012 and the atmosphere was everything I expected it to be and more. The decor in the front room was cozy and the decor in the back room, where we were seated, was one of those hard to forget. It was a very high ceiling, a bunch of ornaments, paintings and photographs in vintage framing, scattered in a random-looking perfection. The roof is a large set of windows, which adds to the roominess of the place.

The staff was chic, hip, knowledgeable, and able.

The food was very good, I loved the squash soup, and really liked the chicken pot pie. My cocktail, the 'Elderflower Manhattan' was sub-par (definitely not worth the $14).

Yes, it is very pricey, but nothing you would not expect from a decor as such in the middle of New York City... Overall, I would say it is worth a try if you like trying new things.

Visited January 2012