“Very Impressive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #153 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Very Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

The James was a very cool new hotel in SoHo. I got a great deal on my room (Corner King Studio) so that was why I chose it over the Trump. The staff was phenomenal (shout out to the doorman Christopher). Everything from the lobby to the room was clean, modern, and trendy. I knew the restaurant wasn't going to be open until February so I planned accordingly. Didn't get a chance to hit up the Jimmy (rooftop bar), but I heard it was a hot spot. I was overall very impressed with the hotel. It is definitely better than The James Chicago.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JamesNY_GM, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Thank you for such a great review. We try very hard to make you comfortable and appreciate you recognizing our efforts. I promise to make sure Christopher gets his "shout out".

Thanks again. Colin Gold.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Turkish first
Tarrytown, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

Although we live in NY, we felt a little stay-cation for the three day week-end would be better than the cost and travel time for a caribbean retreat. And it was.

The requirements were five-star, in a desirable location, quiet inside, and pet friendly.

We booked the king studio and got an upgrade. Parking was easy (no meters), and cabs were easy to come by for trips after we parked the car. Every single staff member was helpful and friendly. And, everyone was over the top happy with our little terrier. Each and every staff member seemed naturally pleasant. Nothing put on. True winning personalities with the door men, reception and check-in staff, and the bar crew (especially Nathalie - the manager) were what we wanted. Genuine, cool, easy-going, yet interested in providing top-notch service. I felt that every dollar was well-spent here.

The bar is a place that I wouldn't leave if I didn't have to do so. The drinks were inventive, and tasty. I do not know of too many spots that have Nicaraguan rum. The views from the bar are better than going to the top of the Empire State Building. Get out of the line, get up the elevator to this sky top bar, and have a drink while you soak in the views of river to river, as well as Empire Bldg lit up and the quickly rising Freedom Tower.

The room - cool products that you will enjoy using, glass bathroom with privacy shade, heated floors, rain shower, eco-friendly aspects, bottle of water waiting (great after a day of shopping in SOHO!), robes, slippers, natural fabric linens on the bed, reading lamps that don't keep your mate awake, ample closet space, and ample living space in the king studio.

The David Burke Restaurant is set to open Feb. 1st of 2011 (as they told me), and I would like to try that out!

Although it isn't in the middle of the stores in SOHO, I think that it is nice to have the space and the views that this building affords. There are even "zen" gardens - SPACE! Hard to get in a NYC hotel.

This apparently opened in October of 2010, and I didn't see service of construction flaws - this is a good sign for such a brand new place!

I look forward to seeing the great people in this hotel, and experiencing the warm welcome again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear francophileinny,

I want to thank you for sharing your experience. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your visit and how much the staff made your feel comfortable. We are delighted to serve you and look forward to your next visit.

All the best,

Colin
West Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in January during a business trip. The location is excellent, you are in Soho and have everything on your doorstep. This is a great place for shopping, eating and art.

I think that we had a standard guest room and with the large windows, gave a great feeling of space and airiness. I cannot fault the design of the room or the hotel. The bathroom is luxurious, the TVHD perfect and the bed AMAZING! I think that I would say that the bed was the best that I had slept in in New York. Very comfy organic sheets.

The staff were unbelievable, someone has already said, they know your every whim before you do without being obtrusive or annoying. Housekeeping were so sweet, I was not feeling very well for most of the stay and when I returned to the room mid cleaning, my husband notified the lady that I was not feeling well and they said that they would clean up swiftly and the room would be ready in 10. I went down to the lobby and was politely informed by one of the managers that the room was now ready. Beautifully cleaned with a little note saying that they hoped that I would feel better soon.

Complimentary tea or coffee was offered and served in the lobby or when you arrived.

If you like a mid century modern touch to your hotel decor and wonderful service, choose the James.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Traveller
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stood at the hotel for six nights and thought it was one of the best stays we had in NY - we now have two favorite hotels in the city: the modern, sophisticated James for downtown/Soho and the more classic Carlyle for uptown. The staff was exceptionally good with the goal of really catering to the guests and seeking solutions without excessive pampering that can be sometimes annoying.

Rooms were reasonably sized and well designed. Our main concern was the restaurant which wasn't open but coffee and pastries were made available complimentary in the morning and fruits etc. in the afternoon. Great place. Highly recommended.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed here recently; I was here for business and he was here for leisure. Due to flight problems we ended up staying a total of two weeks. While not without some glitches here and there, overall I would highly recommend this hotel and am definitely looking forward to staying here again.

I'll start off with the minor issues. We had booked on their website and highlighted some room preferences which were not originally honored. Given that the hotel was not full, we were a bit surprised, but after asking, they upgraded our room. Now, the king room we were in seemed identical to our deluxe king upgrade, but apparently the difference is the higher floor/view. As for the rooms, we found them to be not particularly big but perfectly adequate and I'm a big fan of the organic amenities. I only wish we had individual amenities that we could take with us, but I figure they did it that way for environmental reasons. The walls seemed to be a bit on the thin side, as we were awoken by our neighbors arguing one night and could even hear when they coughed.

We had to move rooms several times. Once was because there was no hot water (which the hotel should have realized before moving us since they had planned work being done in the area),but they ended up upgrading us for the inconvenience. Also in one of the moves they lost our travel locks, but very kindly reimbursed us to purchase new ones. I had noticed that some of the new rooms we moved into were not fully stocked at the bar, and thus they incorrectly charged us for using the items (two times). However, they had no issue taking off the charges. There was a bit of an issue checking out, as the person did not initially offer me an itemized bill, and when I requested a 2 part bill, he had trouble figuring that out.

Long story short, while there were issues, they were handled in a satisfactory matter. The staff was wonderful-friendly, responsive, professional and unpretentious. Even the pedicab biker was super friendly! The lobby is beautiful and the free snacks and magazines/papers were a lovely touch. The coffee could definitely be better, but the rest of the snacks were very good. The rooftop bar is very cozy and we had a great bartender who talked to us all night and made some great drinks.

The location is fantastic as it's close to tons of shopping and restaurants. Once they have the restaurant up and running it'll be close to perfect (I think a spa would make it perfect!). For the price, I think you get great value. Most luxury boutique hotels will charge more, so I hope they don't raise prices.

I'm looking forward to revisiting the hotel!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed at the James in mid-December and had a great stay. The hotel was spotless. It is only a few months old and it looks like it was just opened. We were greeted early in the morning with fantastic fresh coffee and pastries - no charge - and in the evening with wine and cheese. The staff at the front desk couldn't do enough to help us have a great stay. We were with friends celebrating a 40th birthday and they really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Our rooms were extremely comfortable and fairly spacious by NY standards. We have stayed at plenty of boutique hotels in New York and you always expect a room barely big enough to fit a bed. Our room felt roomy with a very comfortable bed. They were still waiting to open their restaurant but there are plenty of nearby options so it wasn't a problem for us.

The only reason that I would keep from rating it 5 star is because of frustration around the rooftop bar. We weren't honestly that interested in the bar other than the fact that everyone at the hotel kept saying that we needed to check it out. We were only there for a Fri and Sat night so we didn't have many chances to see it. Friday night we came back early (around midnight) to have a drink there only to find out that there was a private event at the bar. The next day we attempted to get up there once again. Everyone assured us that the bar was open - no private event - so we should grab a drink Sat night. We were directed to the proper elevator (near the hotel elevators) only to be stopped by the person shuttling people up and down to the bar. Instead of welcoming us into the elevator, he directed us outside the hotel to the line along the side of the building. I guess that we should have expected this, but assumed that, as hotel guests, we had some preferential treatment. There was never mention of crowds and lines. We thought that we would have access to the bar associated with our hotel. When we didn't we were frustrated and found the manager who we expected would have a sympathetic ear. He didn't. He was actually the only person at the hotel that wasn't the least bit sympathetic. We finally learned that the hotel had no real connection with the bar which explained a lot. Separate management. If we would have known that from the beginning we would have had our expectations set properly and not returned for a late-night drink.

Again, besides this confusion the stay was great. Other than the manager (who really had to do nothing more than act like he understood our disappointment) the staff was brilliant. We love the location and the hotel couldn't have been more pleasant.

brooklyn, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

My husband and I decided to take a "mini-vacation" for one night in Manhattan. I chose The James due to its mostly positive reviews, location, price, design, and amenities. I soon found out that some of the amenities that they claimed to provide were unavailable, leaving us a bit disappointed and frustrated with our stay.

There are many positive aspects of this hotel. The location is great-so close to the shopping in Soho, as well as many other neighborhoods within walking distance. The hotel is also near two subway lines. They staff at the hotel were friendly and tried to be helpful.

The rooms are interesting-they have a residential feel that comes off as quite cold, however, the room grew on me due to its simplicity. The bed was comfortable and we had a nice view of the west side of the city and New Jersey, but not the Hudson itself. This was the claim the website made and this was why I paid extra money for the room. This was the first thing I was a bit annoyed about. We were moved to a higher floor, but this did not matter, as I do not not think that any rooms at the hotel actually have a view of the Hudson. The room was a bit noisy as well-we could hear the elevator going up and down all night.

Before we headed out for dinner, I called the front desk to ask for a DVD player, as my husband and I brought DVD's with us so we could spend a relaxing evening in the room. I had called the hotel earlier in the week to ask if a DVD player would be available, to which they said it would be. That evening, I spoke to someone who said they were bringing up the DVD player, but thirty minutes later received a call stating that the hotel did not have any. We were quite upset and on our way out for dinner, we spoke to the manager. After explaining our situation and expressing our disappointment, the manager finally asked what he could do. We asked him what he could do to appease the situation, and while he initially seemed unsure about what to do, he then offered to give us the night for free. We were a bit surprised by this offer and appreciated his generosity.

So, I'm not really sure how to sum up my experience at The James. Some of it was good, but some of it was not so good. I think the potential is there, but there are some flaws that they need to sort out in order to provide the amenities and experience that guests are expecting during their stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
JamesNY_GM, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Dear Relliebelle,

Thank you for posting your experience and please let us apologize for allowing you to leave with mixed feelings about The James.

We are disappointed about the inconsistencies in the service you encountered particularly with respect to the availability of a DVD player. We strive to be the best experience in New York and we promise we will continue to strive to make this goal reality. On behalf of our dedicated team, please accept our apologies again, as your experience fell short of your expectations and of our expectations of the service we desire to provide.

I hope you will give us another chance so we can provide you an experience beyond your expectations. We are all committed to doing so.

All the best in 2011.