“Great Location, Friendly Staff”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #195 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We recently stayed at The James In Soho and had a great experience. I arrived after my husband and was greeted by the friendly staff at the front desk. They remembered my husband, and let me know what a nice guy he is and how he upgraded our room to a corner suite as well. The corner suite was nice. We had views all around. It was not huge, but big for New York standards. The decor was comfortable and simple. The bathroom had a nice shower with heated floors. We were on the fifth floor and the noise from outside was not bad at all. We stayed at the Gansevoort in the meat packing district recently and had to wear ear plugs at night. Another bonus at the James is the location. The train station is right across the street. We were able to easily take the train to many places and avoid the street traffic. They also offer complimentary wine and cheese in the early evening. After walking around the city all day, it was nice to come back to the hotel for the free wine and cheese. It was not a big selection, a simple set up, but still appreciated. They also had a fun roof top bar that gets pretty crowded at night. My only complaint was that our pillows were really too soft. We requested firmer pillows but were told all four nights that they were all being used. Other than that, our stay was a positive experience and we would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank MissTinaIrvine
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear MissTinaIrvine,

It’s great to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your visit. Thanks for such a kind review. I’m glad you were able to experience the amenities we offer, especially The James Club Sky Lobby. Whether through the wine or scones, it allows us to showcase local vendors. Hopefully you’ll return very soon. Overall, I’m glad our team left you with a positive impression. Thank you again for the feedback.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed June 3, 2014

If you want to experience an alternative side to New York then stay at The James in Soho. Soho has some great bars and restaurants. If you want to visit the attractions there is a hop on hop off bus service that has a stop nearby. The hotel itself is very functional. The rooms are quite small as compared to some hotels but everything you need is there. The hotel was also very quiet so we had a great nights sleep. The staff at the James are very friendly and welcoming. Special mention goes to Julia in the Garden bar. Excellent service during all the times we had evening drinks there.
One low point was the rooftop bar Jimmys. We went up there twice and due to very poor service we waited and waited. In the end we gave up and returned for good service in the Garden bar.
To finish on a positive. In the morning there is fresh coffee and pastries. In the evening there is wine and cheese followed by cookies and coffee. All provided free for guests. We had a great stay and would not hesitate to return.

Dear Redcote9,

We appreciate you taking time to share about your stay. So great you had a satisfying night of rest. I apologize for the delayed service you received at JIMMY. Thank you for acknowledging our team’s hard work, especially Julia's. They’re truly our greatest asset and it’s great when guests take notice of our approach to guest services, genuine and unobtrusive. We hope you choose us for your next visit to New York. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel is easy to miss at the corner of Thompson and Grand streets at the edge of Soho. My room, on the 4th floor, was small but exactly what I needed. It had a great bed with nearly floor-to-ceiling window the length of the room looking toward the Hudson River. While I couldn't see the river, the goings-on on 6th Avenue were almost always interesting, with a small park across the street. The room itself had just the right amenities for my business trip and would have been fine if my wife were with me. The room had wood floors, which I have not seen in hotels previously. That was cool, though the one downside was that at quiet moments I could hear people in adjacent (or above) rooms walking on their wood floors. Overall it wasn't a big deal and I had no trouble getting work done, relaxing and getting to sleep. The gym on the 17th floor was just right for a little exercise (weights, elliptical, treadmill, etc.) and had terrific views south toward the financial district and east toward Brooklyn and the rest of Soho. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall I was very happy with this hotel.

Room Tip: I think I would have liked a room with a southern or eastern view better than my western view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Worldfamousejeff,

We really appreciate you taking time to share feedback about your stay. I’m glad you had a great time. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including the views from our guestrooms, and our fitness center. We will pass along your positive comments to the team. Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. We hope you return very soon.

Best,
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Well, this is our third review of The James So Ho and this hotel and staff simply get better and better. While the hotel and the location is great what makes The James special is clearly its staff and we thank The James management team for working hard to keep this staff in place because honestly this staff is committed to total customer satisfaction as we experience this each and every stay with ourselves and observe the same with other guests. Eric, John, Kenny, Amy, Christine, Morgan…… and the list goes on and on ……… Truly exceptional hospitality professionals. Then to the James Burke Kitchen with E Thomas at the helm and his top notch team delivering incredible food and service - you just simply cannot go wrong with this package.

We will back time and time again, there is no doubt - The James So Ho is one in a million.

Dear Ron_LINY,

It’s humbling to receive such a kind review. Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Soho.Our team members strive to go above and beyond so we appreciate you acknowledging all their hard work. Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. We will be sure to pass along your positive comments to Eric, John, Kenny, Amy, Christine, & Morgan. I’m glad they left you with a positive impression. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The staff is friendly. The rooms are hum drum. Nothing special at all. Worst is the people working the garden bar and pool area. They seem new and have no idea even how to bill something to the room or basic things on the menu. Dumb. More egregious the pool bar is nasty. All the garnishes from the lemons, limes to the leaves they muddle look rotten. I even commented to bartender that I hoped he was serving any of that and he said it didn't matter if they werent that fresh because it was being muddled. Who says such a thing. If you like high end hotels like I do id definitely pass on this place. It is not high end in the least and would better appeal to holiday inn clientele.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robert B
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Robert B,

Every piece of guest feedback is valuable to us, therefore, thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. It is unfortunate that you encountered the series of issues you described at our rooftop. We will inform our team in order to continue to improve. I'm disappointed to hear that our staff wasn't more welcoming; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. If you are ever in New York again, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed in this lovely, incredibly well run hotel for 5 nights with my 14 year old daughter. First visit to New York, felt very well looked after, nothing was too much trouble, staff incredibly knowledgeable, efficient and kind.The food and drink was delicious. The bed so comfortable! Soho is a great location as a base and great for shopping. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Moggiemcalpine,

Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. It’s great that you were able to enjoy so many of the wonderful features we have to offer. We’re also happy you enjoyed our prime location in Soho. The boutiques and eateries are truly unbeatable. Thanks again. Until your next visit.

Cheers,

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have to say these hotel its The Surrey of Soho. Great service the personal where super welcoming and helping. The room was nice but still a hotel room. I do like that the bathroom has a courting not that you always want it open but it does make the room look bigger.

Dear Alex M,

Thanks for choosing us for your visit to New York. It’s great that our team left you with such a positive impression.Our team strives to provide genuine yet unobtrusive service and seeing their hard work pay off with feedback like yours is very gratifying. We appreciate the feedback. Until your next stay!

All the best,